• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Texturing more detailed object problem

Country
yugoslavia
Hello,

At first, I had difficulties to apply any texture to the objects at all. Now, when I learned that, I figured out that my modeling method is totally wrong, regarding the simplicity of texturing.

What is all about?
I do my objects in SketchUp tool, which I found very intuitive and easy to use. SketchUp texturing has it's own problems, but I've found the way to avoid them.

So, I've modelled some building (sports airfield hangar), and "painted" it with textures, exported it to 3DS format, imported to GMAX and exported it again to MDL. Although this sounds too complicated, barring the modelling itself, it is quite fast and it is finished in minutes.

Problem occur when I wanted to make a night map. As the textures are not compact (one model contains about 5-8 textures, and all of them are patterned - repeating in sequence onto the single polygon), it is almost impossible to make a night map. One objects wall contains much more that only one polygon, so it was complete dissaster, when I come to night texuring.

Even with the recognition of the wrong way modelling, I've exported it to MDL and embed it in my scenery. Object looks perfectly at daylight, but at night it is totally dark.

I've tried to make duplicate texture, renamed it to appropriate name (_LM attached), modified it with PS and put it in the proper directory. But, nothing. I have no light at all. I know all the potential mistakes I've made - patterned textures, more than one texture file and so on, but I want to ask you all - is there any way to make fully detailed model, and to make textures easier?

Is there something else I should do except the renaming night map with the _LM suffix? Precisely told, are the night textures reffered by the objects properties, or the FS itself (does FS looks for the "_LM" texture automatically?)?

Please forgive me if I'm asking for the explanation of the texturing process, here talk about more than once. But, for the better insight of the problem, I am ready to upload some of my objects for you to see what am I talking about. I simply cannot quit creating detailed model and I cannot learn to do it harder way, in GMax from scratch.

If I learn how to solve this, I'll be glad to make high-detailed objects for free, for all of you (as long as the scenery is freeware), cause I really like to do it.

So, is there any chance to upload my project (I have SKP/SketchUp and X.Object, and also MDL/XML)?

Thanx in advance I sorry for eventual language mistakes (English isn't my native language).

Dragan Stanojevic

EDIT> I didn't notice the ability of upload before, so here it is...
Hangar_01.zip is Gmax and the other one is 3ds. :)

Attachments

• hangar01.zip
    205.8 KB · Views: 321
  • 3ds.ZIP
    736.7 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Not to sound to critical of your project as it is very nice looking, but you have two problems to start with.

First, not all of the textures you are using meet FS dimensional standards.

_Concr03.bmp is 500 x 375 (512 x 256)
_Corroga.bmp is 125 x 61 (128 x 64 )
Concrete.bmp is 377 x 201 (256 x 128)
Corrogat.bmp is 125 x 61 (128 x 64)
Standi01.bmp is 150 x 113 (128 x 128)

These textures need to be resampled (not cropped) so they meet the 2x requirements. The dimensions in the () are the sizes I would recommend.

However, this does not take care of your night texture problem. Tiled textures are almost impossible to use as decent night textures if you want any lighting effects. I would suggest taking some screen shots of the side elevations of your building and making completly new textures and then remapping your building to these new images. Probably with a little work you can get your textures down to just 1 or 2 512 x512 sheets and their respective _lm nightmaps.

Lou

Apart from the suggestions already made by Lou, you also need to tell FS to use the night texture. Only having it in your texture folder is not enough. This is easiest done by adding the night texture as the map of the ambient color in the material editor.

I did some more investigation in to your model. It seems that objects made with SketchUp all are double faced. In some cases, this may be desirable such as the inside of a building, but for the most part is not very efficiant and effectively gives the graphics engine in the sim twice as much work to do drawing faces that can not be seen anyway. As an example: The garbage can at the corner of your building as designed is 500+ faces. Many of these faces are not exterior surfaces and therefore can not be seen from the outside as well as some faces are coliner and can cause shading/smoothing problems. After removing the "non visable" faces, the garbage can is reduced down to 200 faces. This is a lot of extra work to clean up these extra faces and could have been eliminated from the start by doing your design work in gMax to begin with.

Lou

Thank you very much (both of you) for fast answer.

I assumed that I am in totally wrong direction. :(

I know for the double faces and it isn't issue, cause the trash can (and other similar object, non of them designed by me) is the part of scene accidentaly. It will be replaced by better, simplier object. However, Inside of the building is desired part of the project, so I should resign with it. Also, 3DS export in SketchUp Pro contains double-face on/off trigger, so this problem can be avoided in elegant way. :)

I felt fearfully about the textures. I knew that non of them are good at all. Resampling them will be a peace of cake (although everything works just fine in FS - I've converted them and produced MDL which works almost perfect, except the above mentioned nightmap), but moving completly to Gmax, sounds like a studying nuclear physics to me. :)

I know that someone (or everyone!) could feel offended, but from my angle of view, SketchUp is a way easier tool for design FS objects (let's omit other purposes). I have full control with it and I can do just whatever I want.

Although I suspected in great framerate degradation, nothing happend! Furthermore, the model in FS behaves even better than standard box with detailed textures. Pretty strange, but that's just the way it is. I've put some other objects I've modelled and there is no excess influence on smooth animation.

Unfortunately, I must migrate to Gmax. At least, partialy.

By the way, thank you very much for compliments. If I ever make an advantage in this, I would be honored to make freeware libraries.

@Arno
Can you (please!) explain your proposal for night textures, more detailed? Ambient color? I know what are you talking about, but I don't understand how does it affect day/night period?

One more thing - why I have trouble with parking the aircraft inside the building? I have some freeware libraries of (pretty simpler) hangars in which I can drive in, without a collision detection and (so hated) CRASH!

Best regards and thanx!
Dragan Stanojevic

Last edited:
Explain your proposal for night textures

Can you (please!) explain your proposal for night textures, more detailed? Ambient color? I know what are you talking about, but I don't understand how does it affect day/night period?

StORM48

Have a look at this tuturial
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_night_textures

At a certain point in time and depending on location FS2004 goes from day textures to night textures and in the morning from night to day textures. If you have Dawn Dusk texture blending ON it blends both textures over about an hour to achieve a smooth transition. :)

Steve

Hi Dragan,

I assumed that I am in totally wrong direction. :(

I would not say totally wrong, but it requires some optimization in GMax to create a propler FS model out of your input data. You have to consider yourself if this extra cleaning work is worth the easier use of SketchUp or not.

All you have to do is assign the texture in your material as the ambient map. MakeMDL then knows to use that for the night texture. It is just a way to tell MakeMDL which other textures are related to your main texture (which is the diffuse map). You don't have to do to worry about the day/night period yourself, FS takes care of all that.

One more thing - why I have trouble with parking the aircraft inside the building? I have some freeware libraries of (pretty simpler) hangars in which I can drive in, without a collision detection and (so hated) CRASH!

By default the crash detection is turned on when you export your object with MakeMDL. So you would to disable it for your object if you want to drive into it. This is done easiest by making a file called makemdl.cfg in your GMax plugin folder (where makemdl.exe also is). In that file you write:

Code:
[Options]
crash=0

I'm speechless! :)
Thanks to all! Thank you very much!

Now is the worktime! I'll try to get back with some freeware libraries.

Dragan Stanojevic

Back