• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Texturing question

Hey guys!
I have found that inside Sketchup I can't apply more than just one texture file.
Is that true? Or can I have different textures that I can apply to the object I am designing?
For example I imported a Hanger metal texture that just makes the metal texture for the building itself.
Can I add another texture file for the door of the hangar or needs to be in that same texture file I am using for the model?
Thanks!
Teo

Hello:

1.) Draw a separate face for the door and texture it with the intended door texture.

2.) When each face on the "wall" is finished to your satisfaction, select the largest wall texture and make it "unique".

3.) Select that "unique" texture and all others on any sub-faces (in the exact same plane of that wall), then "combine" them, so that graphically, you will end up with a single (1)-piece texture for that wall.

That helps reduce "draw calls" for textures on the 3D model (important for FS run time rendering performance).

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Gary,

Thanks a lot on getting back to me!
I am really confused. You mean, texture first a door for example, then texture a wall and make that texture "unique" in Sketchup?
Is there an option under Texture to make it unique?
Where would I combine the textures at the end?
Sorry to take some of your time.
I have done textures for X-Plane but they don't allow more than one Texture file per model, I was wondering if the same applies to FSX/P3D exports that each model needs to have just one texture PNG file.

Teo

Teo, to import a new texture into your SketchUp work space, open the Materials window and click the create material icon:
create.jpg

That will open the material editor window. Click the Browse for Material Image File icon and do just that:
browse.jpg

You should probably give it a unique name.

The technique Gary describes does not involve importing a new texture. It appears to be a way of getting cut out textures of each face onto a single master texture document. I use a different technique to accomplish this and it does not apply to your situation.

Hi Gary,

Thanks a lot on getting back to me!

I am really confused. You mean, texture first a door for example, then texture a wall and make that texture "unique" in Sketchup?

Is there an option under Texture to make it unique
?
Where would I combine the textures at the end?

Sorry to take some of your time.
I have done textures for X-Plane but they don't allow more than one Texture file per model, I was wondering if the same applies to FSX/P3D exports that each model needs to have just one texture PNG file.

Teo

Hi Teo:

IIUC, you have stated that you already imported textures for your wall.

In Sketchup, you can texture the entire wall (either as one single section, or as multiple textured sub-sections or "faces"), and the door ...in any order that you wish.

When you are ready to 'combine' the various faces which make up the wall surface, (assuming they are all exactly in the same 3D plane of the wall or "coplanar"), choose one of the faces with a single left mouse click so that it has the blue dot pattern' indicating that it is "selected", then right click and choose "Make Unique Texture" from the pop-up context menu.

Next, while holding down the < CTRL > key on your keyboard, single left mouse click on each of the faces that you want to combine into one texture so that they all have the 'blue dot pattern' indicating that they are "selected".

Now, release the < Ctrl > key, and right-click on one of the selected faces, then choose "Combine Textures" from the pop-up context menu.

Sketch up will pop up a prompt: "Do you want to erase interior edges ?"; choose [Yes].

You now have a one-piece texture for the entire wall surface.

NOTE: If you need to import another texture for ex: a door, you can use the method that Rick describes above, or you can:

1.) Pre-'select' the face to be textured, then navigate:

Sketchup menu > File > Import > {Open Dialog}

2.) In {Open Dialog}:

* Set 'Files of type': "All Supported Image Types"

* 'Tick' radio button: "Use as texture"

* Browse and choose desired texture file name and file type

* 'Click' [Open] button

3.) Position the Paint bucket cursor over the bottom left corner of the face to be textured

4.) Click-hold the left mouse button, then drag over / up to the right side and/or top right corner of a face to be textured

5.) Left click to finish applying the imported texture image.

NOTE
: The imported texture image is now added to the Material browser within the "In Model" section.

BTW: Depending on what pixel dimensions (Rows x Columns) you end up with for individual textures mapped onto the sides and roof of a building, you may be able to fit all those individual texture images adjacent to each other on 1 large texture sheet (aka "Texture Atlas" in other 3D application syntax).

If so, your building will have only a minimum of 'draw calls' when rendered by FS at run time; this is good for performance.

However, if needed, more than 1 texture sheet can be used for each object in FS, unlike with X-Plane.

Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") 'Draw Call Minimizer' can create such Texture Atlases for imported 3D models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_atlas

PS: Rick's method above for importing a texture into the Sketchup Material Browser via the {Edit} tab can be used in conjunction with another recommended step when 3D modeling, that is reported to further improve FS and other 3D rendering engine run time performance.

* In the Material Browser {Edit} tab "Texture" sub-section, 'check' "Use Texture Image"

* Fill in the Horizontal and Vertical dimensions of the real world size in the 3D model that the texture image is intended to be mapped onto.

NOTE: This sets the Texture Pixel (aka "Texel") density or "pixels per Meter" dimensions for the texture image with respect to the intended FS run time rendering of the finished 3D model scenery object.

FYI: Generally speaking, it is preferred that one use identical (or very close to identical) Texel density for all textures mapped onto each side / roof or other "surface" of a texture-mapped object, to facilitate accurate and fast calculation by the FS rendering engine at run time, of MIPMAP and LOD switching parameters for scenery objects (based on each objects on-screen pixel size at one's user aircraft camera viewing distance). :pushpin:

Hope this explains a bit more clearly than I originally did above ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi again, Teo:

You may wish to review this thread for future consideration as you work with imported textures in Sketchup:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/maximum-image-material-resolution.435357/

Also, you may wish to set Sketchup preferences for textures at maximum:

Sketchup menu > Window > Preferences > {System Preferences} Dialog > OpenGL

In OpenGL > "OpenGL Settings" section, 'Check':

* Use Hardware Acceleration

* Use Maximum Texture Size

* Use Fast Feedback

In OpenGL > "Capabilities" section, choose "#18 - True Color - High - Yes - 0x"

Hope this helps further maximize Sketchup texture detail and rendering performance for your project ! :)

GaryGB

Hi Guys,
I have a question, hopefully i didnt over look the answer here somewhere, but - to combine all the textures from a face into 1, is it possible or will it work if the doors/garages are "inset" and not smooth on the surface of the face. I like to see 3d doors and whathaveya. but it seems like im losing performnce. also and mabey this has something to do with it.....when i use the minimize drawcalls in MCX i lose my solid color textures. so i havent been using that feature, mabey I am missing a step here somewhere? any advice will be great! thanks! ( not trying to hijack the thread!)

...to combine all the textures from a face into 1, is it possible or will it work if the doors/garages are "inset" and not smooth on the surface of the face?
No, to combine textures the faces must be co-planar, unless something has changed since v.2015.

...when i use the minimize drawcalls in MCX i lose my solid color textures.
That is how it is supposed to work, those textures should be combined to make fewer textures, which is the point of the minimizer.

Each texture or color is another drawcall.

cheers,
Lane

Hi Guys,
I have a question, hopefully i didn't over look the answer here somewhere, but - to combine all the textures from a face into 1, is it possible or will it work if the doors/garages are "inset" and not smooth on the surface of the face.

I like to see 3d doors and whathaveya. but it seems like I'm losing performance.

Also, and maybe this has something to do with it.....when i use the minimize draw-calls in MCX I lose my solid color textures. so i haven't been using that feature; maybe I am missing a step here somewhere?

Any advice will be great! thanks! (not trying to hijack the thread!)

As described in my prior post(s) above, in Sketchup one can create and texture the wall as a single co-planar surface (aka "face") by using the "Make Unique" and "Combine Textures" features; this will create a new and separate 1-piece texture Material of the wall image (think of that as a 1-piece 'Texture Sheet' for that particular wall).

Next, one can draw a Rectangle onto the wall Face to outline the desired window / door frame, and use the Push-Pull tool to "inset" (aka "extrude" inward) that newly-created Face to the desired distance with its texture mapping (from the very same 1-piece texture Material of the wall image) ...intact and un-distorted.

NOTE: Sketchup 3D modeling performance declines with use of multiple very large (> 1024x1024 pixel) texture materials.

Also, Sketchup 3D modeling performance declines when a large number of Groups or Components are used in that model's construction.

And reportedly, the biggest performance killer in a Sketchup 3D modeling session is having Shadows turned on. :alert:

Regarding any solid color Materials applied within Sketchup, these should all be Exported by Sketchup into a separate 3D file format compatible for Import by ModelConverterX (aka "MCX"), and are then imported by MCX with texture image Materials.

In the MCX Material Editor, one should:

* Select ALL mapped textures for conversion (both solid colors and texture image Materials originally used within Sketchup

* Specify a \Texture sub-folder path for the textures to be written into before actually converting

* Convert all mapped mapped textures into ex: *.DDS, Powers-of-2 in the destination folder

CAVEAT
: If "Overwrite" is allowed, path / file names and/or extensions of the mapped textures within that 3D MDL will change.

If you have questions on what takes place within MCX during any 3D MDL processing steps, toggle display of the Event Log via the [Show / Hide Event Log] tool bar button, and/or click the [Pen & Paper] icon on the bottom left of the MCX status bar to "Save Event Log to file" ...for later review. ;)

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

THank You ALL. I am having to reinstall my whole system ATM. I will post back here when everything is back up and working.:):coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::scratchch:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::)

Back