• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

The KLN90B for FSX/Prepar3d in beta.

Country
us-northcarolina
The upgraded KLN90B gauge that is being developed from the original source from Project Tupolev is now ready to enter a new phase. We've added new features, a new look and sound, fixed the worst bugs, made it more stable, and added some documentation. Even though this is a "beta" and we'll keep on calling it that, it's probably much more stable that any previous PT KLN90B version.

upload_2015-1-23_18-26-48.png

Though it started in Project Tupolev and will stay compatible, it's also for any and all FSX/P3D pilots that want to have a KLN90B in their airplane. I believe from what I've seen that even now this is the most authentic and complete KLN90B simulation available for FSX or Prepar3d.

Here is the link to the current release: http://fscaptain.net/downloads/KLN90B-FSX-P3D.zip

Of course this is free and always will be.

What's New?

See the README in the zip, but mainly it's sound, a new feature to connect to the new default AP easily, loading of soft as well as hard runways, ILS frequencies, and more.

Current PT KLN90B users should note:

The installer will replace your KLN90B.CNF file with the new one. You should review the options in there with the new user's guide found in KLN90B/Manuals. There are many new ones. You may have to change the config to support the EXTINTDB option -- by default it's off since most new users won't have loaded the airac data. The installer will not disturb your current database at all. (If you want to see the soft runways or ILS frequencies you will have to rebuild it though using the SET 0 page. If you don't care about these two things, turn the options off in the KLN90B.CNF file.)

This should be completely compatible with the PT TU-154. It should drive the ABSU if you connect it correctly. Using the default AP, it will navigate quite accurately in automatic mode.

Dutch

Last edited:
Country
belarus
Thanks, I will attempt to install this into my Yakovlev 40 and Mil-8. Although they are custom autopilots doubt it will connect to AP. Anyway, works in the Tu-154B. What new developments should we expect?

Country
us-northcarolina
Tushka,

Here is my little 'to-do-' notes at the top of the source:

// TO DO:
// Enable altitude reporting with the ALT key.
// Look for CNF and FPLS files in airplane folder first
// Approaches and SID/STARS - APT 7 & 8.
// Version that uses Direct Input
// Version with screen only that is controled by Lvars
// TRIP pages
// CALC pages
// OTHER pages

This is in sort-of priority order but I may change priority at any time and add things to the list. Also no promises at all on timing. I need to get back to full-time on FSCaptain development and it may be some time before the next beta version. The exception would be if someone finds a really awful bug, I will get a fixed version out ASAP.

Also my real experience with the KLN was in an airplane without a autopilot. Even though I had to fly manually it was still nice to have it tell me where to go and track if I was doing right. But in the sim we do really expect it to fly the airplane for us. Today fewer and fewer new add-ons use the default FSX systems, everyone is developing custom stuff. Like 3D gauges that can't be modified or swapped out for others, it's the way of the sim future. But it really hurts the ability to substitute other gauges or roll your own mods.

Dutch

Country
ireland
Dutch,

Firstly, many thanks for your work on this. I'm sure it will be appreciated by many for a some years to come.

I'm not sure if this is the place to post errors........
I can't currently get the gauge to load in any aircraft I try it in, in FSX or P3DV2. In P3D, when I start the sim I get a small window saying....

File: Lib\FSX\SimConnectWrapper.cpp
Function: swan2::lib::fsx::SimConnectWrapper::Init
Line: 206

When I click 'OK' in this window, the sim continues to load as normal. When I select the aircraft with the KLN90 it loads fine. When I call up the KLN90 window the sim crashes with a fatal error.
Just thought I'd let you know about this.

Skip

Country
us-northcarolina
I have no idea what sc_sp1.dll is. I'll look into it. But many are using it without problems. I suspect something is amiss in your SimConnect installation.

Do you by chance use the Steam Edition?

UPDATE: Mystery solved. There are three little DLLs that have to be distributed with this gauge. I placed them in the right place. Download and install again, and this problem should go away. The DLLs were installed as a part of the whole PTT package, so I didn't notice them. There may be some more of that kind of thing. So far the only beta testers have been folks with the TU-154 already installed.

It's why we beta :)

Last edited:

euroastar350

Resource contributor
Country
us-delaware
What are the real world dimensions of the unit? I am looking into building one in max for use in my projects and I need values that are close to the real thing. I also plan to release a source of the unit for other developers for use in their own projects

Country
spain
TSO Compliance SEE TSO APPENDIX
Physical Dimensions:
Width: 6.312 in. (16.03 cm.)
Height: 2.00 in. (5.08 cm.)
Length: 12.55 in. (31.87 cm.)
Weight: 6.30 lbs. (2.86 Kg.)
Mounting: Panel mounted with Honeywell supplied
mounting rack
Cooling Requirements: 4 CFM (cubic feet per minute) provided by
blower motor such as KA 33 or equivalent
OPERATIONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Temperature Range: -40° C to +70° C

Altitude Range: Up to 50,000 FT
Power Inputs: 11 to 33 VDC at 2.5 A MAX (-40°C to
+70°C)

Panel Lighting Current Requirements:
28 VDC Lighting: 286 mA max
14 VDC Lighting: 572 mA max
5 VDC Lighting: 1.0 A max
5 VAC Lighting 1.0 A max (400 Hz rms)

take a look to the King knl 90 b installation manual http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j...=3cpE-HQI1eLnEs1pid8roQ&bvm=bv.84349003,d.d24
Though thank God we not need it in fsx.

Last edited:
Country
ireland
Dutch,
Those additional dll files seems to have fixed the problem.
Many thanks.

Skip

euroastar350

Resource contributor
Country
us-delaware
TSO Compliance SEE TSO APPENDIX
Physical Dimensions:
Width: 6.312 in. (16.03 cm.)
Height: 2.00 in. (5.08 cm.)
Length: 12.55 in. (31.87 cm.)
Weight: 6.30 lbs. (2.86 Kg.)
Mounting: Panel mounted with Honeywell supplied
mounting rack
Cooling Requirements: 4 CFM (cubic feet per minute) provided by
blower motor such as KA 33 or equivalent
OPERATIONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Temperature Range: -40° C to +70° C

Altitude Range: Up to 50,000 FT
Power Inputs: 11 to 33 VDC at 2.5 A MAX (-40°C to
+70°C)

Panel Lighting Current Requirements:
28 VDC Lighting: 286 mA max
14 VDC Lighting: 572 mA max
5 VDC Lighting: 1.0 A max
5 VAC Lighting 1.0 A max (400 Hz rms)

take a look to the King knl 90 b installation manual http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j...=3cpE-HQI1eLnEs1pid8roQ&bvm=bv.84349003,d.d24
Though thank God we not need it in fsx.

Much appreciated :)

Country
belarus
In case nobody knew there is already an open source 3DS max model of the KLN90B ready to use... and in very good detail, beautiful modelling. Russians are trying to integrate it to KLN. If somebody else wants to join the race, just use that 3D model instead of wasting time designing an own!

Country
us-northcarolina
That makes me want to move the to-do item to make the screen-only version up on the priority list. So it can be used with this model.

Of course there's not much point in a 3D model if it's not in a VC is there?

I don't know much about 3D modelling. It's on my list to learn one day.

Dutch

euroastar350

Resource contributor
Country
us-delaware
In case nobody knew there is already an open source 3DS max model of the KLN90B ready to use... and in very good detail, beautiful modelling. Russians are trying to integrate it to KLN. If somebody else wants to join the race, just use that 3D model instead of wasting time designing an own!

It all depends which modeling software it was made in. If built in anything above Max 9 (which is what I use), then it won't be useful for me. If in gmax, then it can be ported into Max, likewise for FSDS.

euroastar350

Resource contributor
Country
us-delaware
here is my version of the KLN, built using the background image provided in the current beta gauge. This is about 2 hours worth of work with little left to do. I intend to provide an untextured source as each developer has their own unique way to map model, etc. And I am providing the source fully textured. Of course, I would like to get this up and running in my own helicopter before I can send out the source, so I'll wait until a screen only gauge along with associated scripts for the 3D mesh becomes available.
KLN90.jpg

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
That makes me want to move the to-do item to make the screen-only version up on the priority list. So it can be used with this model.
Dutch, you'll also need to provide a method for the XML scripts from the model to communicate with the gauge. The "easy way" is to read custom (L:var,unit) type variables, but these are not shared cockpit compatible. The slightly more difficult way is to use custom hex EventIDs, which are shared cockpit compatible.

All your gauge needs to do is poll every cycle to see if the user has 'clicked a button' or 'twisted a knob', then take the appropriate action.

Country
us-northcarolina
Exactly what I plan, Bill. At first I'll just read Lvars. That technique is easy. I haven't ever dealt with custom EventIDs so there'd be a learning curve there.

I'm thinking how to do this. Probably, one Lvar for each button and two for each knob, for example:

(L:K9B_PowerButton,bool)
(L:K9B_LeftInnerLeft,bool)
(L:K9B_LeftInnerRight,bool)
(L:K9B_CLR,bool)

Each of these would go true when the control was activated. The gauge would see that, process it, and set the Lvar back to zero so it wouldn't be detected again unless the panel code set it again.

Or, only one Lvar with a set of numbers, one for each control would do the same thing. Zero means "nothing is happening". When a control is moved its number would be set the in the Lvar, and again the gauge would reset it back to zero once processed.

This would also allow a 2D popup with a different wrapper around it.

Anyway, it'll be a little while before I can get to this, deep in revenue-producing (hopefully!) code right now.

Last edited:
Country
belarus
I will post the link again for the 3D model, it's a 3DS Max model: http://www.avsim.su/f/fs2004-dlya-d...v-37/kln90b-54661.html?action=download&hl=KLN

If anybody interested, a handy tool for the KLN airac databases and route reading: http://www.avsim.su/f/fs2004-utilit...onverter-v-2-1-55792.html?action=download&hl=

P.S, I'm not sure exactly how many people are thinking or having plans to make a 3D model KLN, but I guess more than 3 judging by what i've been reading on different forums... It's good though. The day when I'll have a 3D model in my Tu-154 my FSX experience will be complete (it is already if I wish to fly 70s version of the model without INS and GPS) :)

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Or, only one Lvar with a set of numbers, one for each control would do the same thing. Zero means "nothing is happening". When a control is moved its number would be set the in the Lvar, and again the gauge would reset it back to zero once processed.
One (L:var,enum) for knobs is all that is required, as this would allow for left/right click and mousewheel control with only one variable: -1 left click or mousewheel down, +1 for right click or mousewheel up.

@Tushka: bear in mind that one cannot add a 3d object to a virtual cockpit unless one has the interior model's source file (.max or .gmax) and can Merge the 3d objects, tag the controls with the XML script from modeldef.xml, and then export and compile a new model file.