• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Things That I've Noticed When I Export an Object into Sketchup

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

Review Tom's post above on a MCX Options parameter value; "CollapseModelParts" must be set to FALSE before any 3D model Import / Export is performed for your current task.

Also, in the Sketchup default Collada *.DAE Import / Export > Options dialog, disable 'Merge Coplanar Faces'.

There may be a few more MCX default parameter values that might need to be re-configured as well.

I'll take another look at these issues tomorrow (Tuesday).

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Ken:

Review Tom's post above on a MCX Options parameter value; "CollapseModelParts" must be set to FALSE before any 3D model Import / Export is performed for your current task.

Also, in the Sketchup default Collada *.DAE Import / Export > Options dialog, disable 'Merge coplanar polygons'.

There may be a few more MCX default parameter values that may need to be re-configured as well.

I'll take another look at these issues tomorrow (Tuesday).

GaryGB

Hi Gary,

I've made all these changes and it did not make any difference. Tom was correct that it takes some of those textures and combines them, which was fine, but it still allowed me to make value changes in the material properties. One of the textures I'm missing is the upper right displaying the runway, which I think is the layer either below or above the other. I got the ground part of it but not the runway, and I'm not able to restore it without that texture. Wonder if this has anything to do with what you discussed earlier about the layers in Sketchup?

Ken.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

For each test, output a Collada *.DAE from MCX into a separate 'work' folder so your copy of FSDT KDFW_sett07_sf.mdl is not changed.

Here is a quick-and-dirty overview of the "Layers" work-flow intended to make it easier to toggle a "Hidden" attribute for all super-imposed (transparent) Faces overlying the C32 ground marking Faces:

Install this plugin Ruby script into Sketchup: Dik Harrison: Put On Layer

In Sketchup, after import of the Collada *.DAE output by MCX:

Sketchup Menu > Window > Layers > click: (+) 3 times to create new Layers (1), (2), and (3) ...in addition to the existing default Layer 0

[EDITED]

Left double-click the grouped 3D model to enter its context

Left-click inside the grouped 3D model context at / near the C32 ground marking (a "Face" is now selected)

Next: Right-click to bring up the context menu > choose: Put On Layer > select: Layer 1

Then: Sketchup Menu > Window > Layers > tick: Layer 0 > un-check Layer 1 check-box

Again: Left-click inside the grouped 3D model context at / near the C32 ground marking (a "Face" is now selected)

Next: Right-click to bring up the context menu > choose: Put On Layer > select: Layer 2

Then: Sketchup Menu > Window > Layers > tick: Layer 0 > un-check Layer 2 check-box

Again: Left-click inside the grouped 3D model context at / near the C32 ground marking (a "Face" is now selected)

Next: Right-click to bring up the context menu > choose: Put On Layer > select: Layer 3

Then: Sketchup Menu > Window > Layers > tick: Layer 0 > un-check Layer 3 check-box

[END_EDIT]

You should now have "Hidden" all Faces inside the grouped 3D model context that are super-imposed over C32 ground marking Faces

Make your C32 edits

Re-'check' all Layer 1, 2, 3 check-boxes to toggle them back 'on' for whatever contribution they make to the overall 3D model rendering in FS

Export to a Collada *.DAE for import by MCX

Test in FSX

NOTE: The above does not address the other (needed) considerations cited above, regarding creating / restoring MCX Material Templates etc. (...which I intend to reply to later as time permits.) ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

With the options configuration settings I am testing for MCX, and Sketchup for the default Collada *.DAE importer...

For MCX source and output texture Material counts, I show these numbers:

MCX > Material Editor > {Properties} tab: 28 Textures, 3 Colors

MCX > Material Editor > {Texture} tab: 27 Textures, 0 Colors

Sketchup Menu > Window > Model Info > Statistics > Materials: 26

NOTE: The latter 6 texture Materials are left over from Sketchup's "Chris" 3D model I deleted; after I also delete the un-wanted Materials:

Sketchup Menu > Window > Model Info > Statistics > Materials: 20

In Sketchup, after import of the Collada *.DAE output by MCX ...on your computer:

Sketchup > Materials > {Select} Tab > In Model ...please state in a reply here, the Material Count initially shown

Then ...on your computer:

Sketchup > Materials > {Select} Tab > In Model ...please Right-click > Delete any Materials not from the Collada *.DAE output by MCX

Finally ...on your computer:

Sketchup > Materials > Select Tab > In Model ...please state in a reply here, the 'Final' Material Count shown

PS: I'll post options configuration settings I am testing for MCX, and Sketchup for the default Collada *.DAE importer ...after more tests. :pushpin:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Gary,

First of all, thanks for the plugin. But will this plugin work in later versions of Sketchup, like Sketchup 2017? I noticed this is an rbz file rather than a rb file. Is there a difference? I have it installed in Sketchup 8 but I had the problem of importing collada files into 8. The reason is because it was validating the dae file and says it cannot validate, which I can't understand why. I have to wait nearly 2 minutes for it to validate then finally I'm able to import it. I went to Options and un-checked "validate dae" so that I won't have to wait on it. But I do get this message when it's checked:

The .dae or kmz file you are attempting to import cannot be validated. Your file may import just fine, but there is a possiblity Sketchup could import it incorrectly or could crash.

choose: Put On Layer > check: Layer 1 check-box > tick: Layer 0 > un-check Layer 1 check-box

When I select "Put On Layer," there is nothing to check nor tick. There is another menu that has choices: Current Layer, Layer 0, Layer 1, Layer 2, and Layer 3. The check Layers and tick Layers are in a separate window at the top.

Ken.

For MCX source and output texture Material counts, I show these numbers:

MCX > Material Editor > {Properties} tab: 28 Textures, 3 Colors

MCX > Material Editor > {Texture} tab: 27 Textures, 0 Colors

I show the same thing

Sketchup Menu > Window > Model Info > Statistics > Materials: 26

I show 28

In Sketchup, after import of the Collada *.DAE output by MCX ...on your computer:

Sketchup > Materials > {Select} Tab > In Model ...please state in a reply here, the Material Count initially shown

28. But the colors are not in the original texture.

Then...on your computer:

Sketchup > Materials > {Select} Tab > In Model ...please Right-click > Delete any Materials not from the Collada *.DAE output by MCX

Finally ...on your computer:

Sketchup > Materials > Select Tab > In Model ...please state in a reply here, the 'Final' Material Count shown

20. When you subtract the 3 colors, that leaves only 17 textures.

Ken.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...rt-an-object-into-sketchup.446569/post-834911

Hi Gary,

First of all, thanks for the plugin.

But will this plugin work in later versions of Sketchup, like Sketchup 2017?

I noticed this is an rbz file rather than a rb file. Is there a difference?

A *.RBZ is a *.ZIP of *.rb files and any required files / folders for a Plugin Ruby script that normally are manually copied into the Sketchup 8 plugins folder.

Use thomthom: Simple Plugin Installer instead of Sketchup Menu > Window > Preferences > Extensions > [Install extension...] button:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...rt-an-object-into-sketchup.446569/post-834911

I have it installed in Sketchup 8 but I had the problem of importing collada files into 8. The reason is because it was validating the dae file and says it cannot validate, which I can't understand why. I have to wait nearly 2 minutes for it to validate then finally I'm able to import it. I went to Options and un-checked "validate dae" so that I won't have to wait on it. But I do get this message when it's checked:

The .dae or kmz file you are attempting to import cannot be validated. Your file may import just fine, but there is a possiblity Sketchup could import it incorrectly or could crash.

You can ignore the above cited status message regarding validation of *.DAE or *.KMZ files you are attempting to import into Sketchup (unless such an import fails entirely).

When I select "Put On Layer," there is nothing to check nor tick. There is another menu that has choices:

* Current Layer,
* Layer 0,
* Layer 1,
* Layer 2, (and)
* Layer 3.

The check Layers and tick Layers are in a separate window at the top.

Ken.

See the edits to my post above:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...rt-an-object-into-sketchup.446569/post-834872

GaryGB

Last edited:
A *.RBZ is a *.ZIP of *.RB files and any required files / folders that normally are manually copied into the Sketchup 8 plugins folder.

Use thomthom: Simple Plugin Installer instead of Sketchup Menu > Window > Preferences > Extensions > [Install extension...] button:

See the edits to my post above:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...rt-an-object-into-sketchup.446569/post-834872

GaryGB

Thanks Gary, I got it now.

Hi Gary,

Hold off on doing any more testing and let me finish restoring all of the textures and see if that makes a difference. The thing I ran into was that the runway at the upper right portion of the model was not restoring, but the ground did restore.

I'll let you know of the results.

Ken.

Hi Gary,

I figured out what the issue was. If you recall, in the original KDFW_det10.dds texture, there are 4 or 5 textures, I think each one being a layer. For example, the ground marking where C32 is located has 5 texture layers named KDFW_32. Each one covers the same quarter quadrant of the model and each has a value different from the other, and I selected the texture with the value that makes it transparent. If the Framebuffer Blend, whatever that means, is set to anything other the zero for the Destination Blend and one for the Source Blend, everything is transparent, or blue. Actually, I can go to the Properties page and where it says "Add Night Texture," select "Set Default Opaque," and it will make each quarter quadrant of my model opaque. After doing this, my model looks exactly like that of the original, even without setting the values in the Properties. But I'll probably go ahead and set my values to match the original. Sorry I didn't noticed that the other night. It looks now I can go ahead and change those ground markings to the correct numbers. I just changed 1 or 2 of them to make sure the correct numbers will show up before going through the rest of them. I guess I better try this in the P3D sim to be sure everything looks right. Thanks for all you help and the plugins. They really help make it easier.

Ken.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

AFAIK, *.DDS file format is a variant of the *.BMP format, and thus may only have a 24-Bit RGB 3-channel color image with a single additional 8-Bit Alpha channel.

[EDITED]

The UVW Material mapping areas on FSDT KDFW_sett07_sf.mdl may be referenced in that FSDT KDFW_det10.dds texture sheet / atlas by use of the names you cited in the MCX Heirarchy Editor ModelParts as examples, but more likely there may be unique textures among the ~20 shown in MCX Material Editor mapped for the special display attributes on the "ground" portions of the FSDT 3D model SimObject.

[END_EDIT]

I plan to post additional info tomorrow (Thursday) which you may wish to consider before you finalize edits for texture mapped as Matefials on this FSDT 3D model. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
I have another problem that I haven't been able to figure out. I figured setting the Color Specular to 0, 0, 0, or black for each of these 4 quadrants would solve the problem, but it doesn't. Here's a screenshot:

KDFW Ground Map.jpg

You can see the outline that's brighter than the rest of the airport.

After I have imported the ground changes into MCX, everything is transparent in MCX but it is not transparent in the sim. Should my model be opaque as it was in the original or should it be transparent? The reason I'm asking is because every time I import the model and set the 4 quadrants to "Set Default Opaque," the ground markings no longer show up in the sim. They only show up in the sim if I leave the model as transparent after I import it. But it seems to me that it should be opaque as the original model is in MCX. I'm not sure if the ground markings are being written over after I set it to opaque. But if I leave it as transparent in MCX, everything looks okay, other than what I've shown above.

Oh, by the way, will MCX allow me to add a texture to the model I have imported? I thought it had that ability. It will remove textures but I don't' see an Add button anywhere that allows me to add. I know there's a Properties page where it gives several options in that box, such as, Add Detail Textures, or Add Specular Textures, but I don't think this is the one that allows me to add my own texture.

Ken.

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Perhaps Arno could answer your question about MCX in the MCX forum?

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

As alluded to above:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...rt-an-object-into-sketchup.446569/post-834829

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...rt-an-object-into-sketchup.446569/post-834851

...AFAIK, to accurately reproduce the original "un-edited" FS run time display of FSDT KDFW_sett07_sf.mdl after editing the ground markings, you must:

* First create a MCX Material Editor Material Template for each mapped texture

* Export that 3D model from MCX as a Collada *.DAE

Edit the ground markings in Sketchup

* Export from Sketchup as a Collada *.DAE

* Re-import that Collada *.DAE into MCX

* Restore the MCX Material Editor Material Template for each mapped texture

FYI: Due to a lack of MCX documentation and/or syntax differences in MCX > Options parameter value names from the Khronos Group Collada *.DAE specification terminology, as well my own limited available time for testing, I am not yet certain as to whether you may retain further fidelity of the original FSDT KDFW_sett07_sf.mdl after editing in Sketchup, via toggling of 'granularity' settings for MCX' Collada *.DAE 3D model import, by configuring this parameter value to:

MCX > Options > Importer Settings > DAEReader > Object Per Node > (True)

I have some other time-urgent priorities I must attend to, and may not have an opportunity to further reply until later Saturday or Sunday this weekend.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Ken:

As alluded to above:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...rt-an-object-into-sketchup.446569/post-834829

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...rt-an-object-into-sketchup.446569/post-834851

...AFAIK, to accurately reproduce the original "un-edited" FS run time display of FSDT KDFW_sett07_sf.mdl after editing the ground markings, you must:

* First create a MCX Material Editor Material Template for each mapped texture

* Export that 3D model from MCX as a Collada *.DAE

Edit the ground markings in Sketchup

* Export from Sketchup as a Collada *.DAE

* Re-import that Collada *.DAE into MCX

FYI: Due to a lack of MCX documentation and/or syntax differences in MCX > Options parameter value names from the Kronos Group Collada *.DAE specification terminology, as well my own limited available time for testing, I am not yet certain as to whether you may retain further fidelity of the original FSDT KDFW_sett07_sf.mdl after editing in Sketchup, via toggling of 'granularity' settings for MCX' Collada *.DAE 3D model import, by configuring this parameter value to:

MCX > Options > Importer Settings > DAEReader > Object Per Node > (True)

I have some other time-urgent priorities I must attend to, and may not have an opportunity to further reply until later Saturday or Sunday this weekend.

GaryGB

That's okay. Just whenever you have time.

Ken.

Okay, I've done everything down to this point. To be sure I'm doing this correctly, exactly how do I restore it from the template? Do I do that by selecting the "Set Default Opaque for each of the 17 textures? You can just answer yes or no and go into more details when you get time.

Ken.

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...rt-an-object-into-sketchup.446569/post-835051

Okay, I've done everything down to this point. To be sure I'm doing this correctly, exactly how do I restore it from the template? Do I do that by selecting the "Set Default Opaque for each of the 17 textures? You can just answer yes or no and go into more details when you get time.

Ken.

Hi Ken:

No, you would instead be creating and restoring an entirely 'custom' template ...for each mapped texture Material as described here:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...rt-an-object-into-sketchup.446569/post-834813

In Arno's tutorial video, that is discussed starting at 1:40 elapsed time. :pushpin:

I hope Arno can soon provide a way to 'batch' save / restore all 3D model Material Properties / Functionality to / from a MCX Template. :banghead:

Until then, one reportedly can manually do what Arno explained here, for each mapped texture in Material Editor ...1-at-a-time: :idea:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/small-request-part-2.425979/post-637741

GaryGB

Last edited: