Thought sharing this: (Extrating footprints from imagery)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Maybe another feature for scenproc in the future :)

That could be a great feature indeed :) I downloaded the open source tool Opticks and sounds interesting but did not get time to explore...

In fact I became too obsessed in the past couple of years with ideas related to automated urbanism methods for FSX for areas with no rich data :)

The world of FSX could be so much fun and exotic to explore, beyond the major industrial countries that have rich geo data, if there were ways to build environments by generating these basic data from some bitmap sources (i.e: footprints etc)

By the way someone who works with urbanism and 3D simulation tools was telling me about the CryEngine SDK that he uses now to create real time videos previewing urban designs etc... It seems it has an intuitive world building methods in it other than the import of 3D objects. It is not a sim engine of course but the idea of building environments let's say with a brush and some tourists photos as references is something that indeed could benefit FSX corners where data is not available

Cheers

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I haven't tried the tool yet. I check their manual and some sample provided and my first impression was that it seems not so easy to use for people who don't know the details of the algorithms and tools. But it would be nice to try it later...