• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Tileing a GP custom texture

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Folks.

With your previous help and also help from my friend Bob, I've managed to align my textures and was getting quite good at it until I discovered that my textures were not tiling but being stretched out. The apron I am texturing is at EGKA and it is composed of concrete poured in strips.

I have made several textures to suit the strips. For example, I have a texture which shows two strips wide by three strips deep and I have measured the length in Google Earth. On the apron there are four strips of concrete by three deep. I thought that when I made the GP in ADE my texture would be tiled twice lengthwise to give me the 4x3 concrete area, but this did not happen, the texture was stretched the length of the GP.

I laid out some other textures to match the apron and saw that none of them were being tiled as I thought they would be. The GP manual mentions tiling but does not describe how to, I may have not understood, of course.

The apron at EGKA has strips running in various directions plus a large square of concrete composed of individual smaller squares. My plan was to make a texture perhaps 3x3 and have it tile across but now I am stumped as to how to make it do that.

Could someone explain how to make a texture tile across please?

Regards...Ken
edit...having re-read the relevant section, perhaps I should not be moving the vertices in the editor to the corners of my texture. I'll have a go at simply accepting the texture and vertices as the editor displays them. I'm still learning this, so please be kind to me!!

re-edit... That made my texture run at a diagonal to the apron axis, I'll need to move the vertices after all, mmmmm. Okay, I have seen the U and V numbers which I've stretched out to 2.000 and 1.000. This has given me a 4x3 tiled texture as I wanted. Please excuse my long, self discussion here but it's quite a learning curve for me.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Drag a rubber band selection around all of the vertices and use the rotate tool to align the poly with the texture.

Make sure the texture dimension is correct for the size of real estate you want one texture to cover.

Don, would it be possible to have the GP editor display the texture tiled?

cheers,
Lane

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Lane.

At the risk of appearing slightly dense, how do I do a rubber band selection? Thanks for pitching in.

edit, okay, I simply dragged out my mouse and it selected the vertices and the tools came alive.

Cheers...Ken

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Don, would it be possible to have the GP editor display the texture tiled?
Anything is possible, Lane but, in this case, I'm not sure necessary - or a good idea. Currently you see one tile in the normal orientation and the vertices rotated/expanded (or not). Showing uniform textures in full wouldn't seem to add much information. Likewise with lines. And, changing the tiling/orientation could be confusing. Not sure how you could enhance the display of other non-uniform textures like runway numbers.

In any case, I'm travelling at the moment. If you want to develop your thinking along these lines a little further, perhaps we could have a discussion via PM when I return.

Don