• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Tip: More realistic railroad tracks

Country
germany
Recently I had to add railway tracks close to an airport border and decided that the standard vectorline doesn't look real at all.
Obviously Aces had provided us with railway lines in order to give a highly visible guidance in areas where no other features might give us sufficient orientation. It might had been even an simple mismatch between units. Before telling you anything more, please backup the file "Terrain.cfg" in your FS root folder first! It's a good idea anyway as some add-ons tend change this file while being installed.

As the width of textured vectorlines, like railway tracks can't be changed via configuration elsewhere (as far as I know) you need to edit the above mentioned file (a good text editor, like 'notepad++' would be your friend). Search the keyword "railroad" until you can see the section quoted below and change the last shown line. You'll find likely
Code:
StripWidthMeters=18.3
This is ridicules as the gauge width of a standard railway track is 1435mm (e.g. in most parts of Europe and in the US), 1520mm (Russia and most of it's riparian states), and max.1676mm (e.g in India). As rolling stock might need well more than 3 m in minimum for its structural clearance, I decided to use 4.5 as parameter instead (in reality too much). The section in question now should look like this:
Code:
// Misc vector types - railroad
[Texture.200]
Name=Railroad
Color=FF404000
guid={DDE116BF-0E97-4EB6-A9EC-7EF93D9F2D0E}
LegacyId=1210
Textures=railroadsu.bmp
Layout=3_PLUS_4
StripWidthMeters=4.5
Actually, the result looks much better!

A few last words: The tip fits for standard sceneries of FSX/FSXA only. It can work for its derivates as well and likely for FS9, too. However, some add-ons, like UTX, and probably others too, may bring their own entries to TERRAIN.CFG additionally or they might even replace the whole file. In such cases I wouldn't edit anything but an unchanged standard entry (as quoted above). Please ignore anything else, as the result might be a total mess finally.

Last edited:
Country
us-idaho
Thanks for the tip, Axel. I made the change in the FSX terrain.cfg file after creating a backup. I'll be sure and check it out tomorrow. My first flight of the day will have me departing directly over a rail line so I'll be sure to look.

I looked at my FS9 installation and can find no mention of a strip width for railroads in either the FS9 config or the terrain config. Lots of entries for railroad bridges, but not just railroads and a search of the phrase "strip" or "stripwidth" fails to find any mention of it, so I'm thinking this won't work in FS9.

Randy

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for posting this Axel.

Country
germany
I looked at my FS9 installation and can find no mention of a strip width for railroads in either the FS9 config or the terrain config. Lots of entries for railroad bridges, but not just railroads and a search of the phrase "strip" or "stripwidth" fails to find any mention of it, so I'm thinking this won't work in FS9.
Thanks for the hint Randy. Unfortunately I can't check it myself as I don't have FS9 installed anymore. I've changed the tip until anybody else can probably offer a solution.