• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Tired of sharing my creations

Country
france
I have spent many many hours producing freeware work for MSFS, but i am so disappointed i am not sure i will continue to share it.

The download score is good and all my work is ranked 5 star, but most people just download.
Less than 5% leave a comment. Half of it is just people asking about something they did not read properly in the instructions.

Eventually, some people leave a nice or usefull comment, but this is very few.

Preparing a scenery to be published is a lot of additional work (testing, writing instructions, taking screenshots), but it is not rewarding in the end.

What do you think ?

Country
us-ohio
It seems that Your work has been well received by some, which is probably about as much as we can expect ! Don't let the Jerks throw a blanket over Your Talent and Enjoyment ! Keep up the GOOD Work "D" !! - Johnman

Country
italy
Get over it ... push an open door. People are weird. Keep doing ... first you do it for yourself ... everything you do. Enjoy, 👋.

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
I've been doing scenery design since 2011. Exposure is very hard to get, especially now since there are so many new developers jumping on board. Just a couple years ago, I had a flightsim new site write a small article on an addon or update I released (I cant remember which it was, exactly) stating that I was a NEW developer. Which, from working on and releasing projects for years prior, was a bit of a WTH moment which definitely slowed down enthusiasm for a bit. The problem was, because I had been in it since 2011, I expected to have at least a little bit of notoriety (Especially after the thousands of downloads I got from my Bear Island and Solomon Islands sceneries). However, you just cant expect anything. It does more harm than good.

In the last few years, I've come to the conclusion that if you are always worried about milking the feedback, you're just going to burn yourself out. I try to gain exposure when I can, but my #1 goal is to just create a product that I enjoy. Allowing other's to use it is just a bonus. Sure, it's always cool to get some feedback, but don't make that the only thing that keeps you going, because it will leave you hanging..

Edit: I should throw something in about the comments. You are always going to have those who simply don't read the info provided or jump to conclusions. No matter how nicely and easy to read the info is, you are still going to have that crowd. I see it every day in business. Always keep things easy to read/understand (a.k.a "Idiot proof"), but I guarantee this is a problem that will never be solved, so don't sweat it. Just take 15 seconds to answer the question and move on. :)

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I make scenery for me, for you, but it is like my old man's ship in a bottle. It is meaningless if it doesn't get exposure, that's where you come in and thanks in advance, but I am so much more more content, simply imagining you wondering how I accomplished the mast rigging, or anchor weighing, than I am responding to your insincere platitudes, for allowing you to reenact some event at some airport that has meaning in your life, or whatever.

I mean, if you want to get through, thank me with donations, am I right? Anything less is just plain cheap.

Omg, just kidding, it's a game man, lighten up!

I've released both freeware and payware over the years (now only payware), and those who pay for my scenery are far more likely to give positive feedback. It seems if you are just handed something, then you appreciate it less.

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
People are far less likely to comment/rate something if they're satisfied, people are however more likely to comment/rate something if they have a problem - so if i were you i would take this as some sort of "unspoken compliment."
I can confirm this. I have grown to realize that the less feedback I receive, the better the final quality of the released product. 95% of the time that people reach out, it's because they have an issue with it.
My best selling product only has 20+ reviews because 20 or so people out of the hundreds who bought it, decided to leave a review only after I asked them for one after they received customer support.

You need to use that 5% as your motivation. Live for it. And don't forget to use the negatives as a driver to improve. Even when you become a top-tier developer, those complaints may be all you see sometimes.
And don't let those who don't read get you down. Majority of the time I send them a copy-pasted response and move on with my life (their issue is immediately solved and I'm stress free).

Last edited:
Country
japan
May be this is a tough word for you but were you expecting something for your work?
If you are expecting something , that's the reason you feel dissapointement.
If keep making a good thing , people understands , isn't it enough?

I've been making aircraft models and tools for years but not expecting anything.
Wanted to make something I feel needed so just making.

May be it's a good chance to once step back and think , why I am doing this.

Last edited:
Country
germany
I also primarily create sceneries for myself because I have a personal connection to the place I'm creating or because I feel that a place has a certain mood and style that I'd like to recreate. I only do freeware and just as you noted only few people take the time to comment on the scenery once they downloaded it. And as stated above you should take that as a compliment, because most people only comment on something if they're not content. Just enjoy creating stuff for yourself and if someone else enjoys it too that should be enough.

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hi,
After 11 years sharing results of my hobby, I have ONE conclusion: don't wait good comments or congratulations because you will be disapointed.
Make this stuff for you as an alpinist climb the Everest, for him and some friends, it's all.

Country
italy
May be this is a tough word for you but were you expecting something for your work?
If you are expecting something , that's the reason you feel dissapointement.
If keep making a good thing , people understands , isn't it enough?

I've been making aircraft models and tools for years but not expecting anything.
Wanted to make something I feel needed so just making.

May be it's a good chance to once step back and think , why I am doing this.
Wise and Holy words from you my friend!
Publishing freeware Is like making a donations, you should not expect anything more

Anyway, i like reviews, comments or likes (the Social modern world Is built on those!)
They keeps me motivating sharing again working harder to satisfy downloader
In my upload i ask users to subscribe to my girlfriend&me youtube Channel (travel videos), the more subscribers the more she's gonna Be Happy to work on the channel, so i have more time to work on my stuff...no one get It -.-

So, the idea:
In flightsim.to we have karma, what about NEGATIVE karma?
User not giving a review or comment within 2 week from download should have a karma deduction (10 points?)
User with negative karma (-50??) can't download anymore

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Country
japan
>In flightsim.to we have karma, what about NEGATIVE karma?
I don't think those are needed , just make what you want to make without minding.
Why needs to mind those.
Just only that , try make it better every time and results will follow.

Most of the feed backs are problem reports and that is normal.
But fix or not is a creators choice so keep strong about your choice.

Also about flightsim.to , I'll say don't like that site since so many problem uploads.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Like many have set before, I think you should make a freeware addon because you like it yourself, not to get positive feedback. You decided to make your addon because you liked to learn how to do so, because you wanted to fly in that specific aircraft type or because your favorite airport was not represented realistic enough. So as long as you are happy and satisfied with the result it is good.

Of course it is great that you provide it as freeware to other. But you can't expect that everybody will responds on that. Some people will just download a lot of addons for there collection, but not actively use them all. Some might be very happy with it, but never tell you. Other might miss some small detail and complain about it. I think only a small portion of the users will respond to you (either positive or negative). You should just be happy with the positive feedback you get and try not too bother too much about the negative one (if you agree with the negative feedback you can add it to a next version and if not, just ignore it you are making this addon for yourself).

And just for some background, I made my first freeware scenery for FS5 almost 25 years ago. And I have been making freeware scenery for all versions between FS5 and FSX. In recent years I have stopped making scenery, but I still provide my tools as freeware to the community.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I still provide my tools as freeware to the community.
Make no mistake, you shape the community. Since we are unable to simulate how bland life would be without your contributions, we are unable to express our gratitude proportionally.

it becomes pretty obvious when one stops and thinks, so on that thought, thank you.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
People like Arno and Don and Jon and others like them have made FS so much more than just a "game", that there is not enough I can say about how they have changed my life for the better. Thanks so much!

That said, if the OP is getting tired of the lack of response then create things for yourself and do not release them. But please do not post pictures of them for others to wish they had them. :)

Country
portugal
Droide, I understand you, but don't think about it.
If they are downloading and not replying that is a big amount of ... , it means that you are recognized.

In my case, like everybody here, hours developing, publishing and then one day, BAAMMMMM, another guy sharing like it was the owner.
I have complained and a bunch of guys comes with: "you are stupid, it's freeware, he is sharing, you want recognition, bla bla bla, and more more..."
After spend hours and hours for another ball-less take the credits, I decided to remove from share.

When MFS2020 appear, friends comes with requests and requests for friend of a friend. So decided. I share the small projects with quality.
Military bases that it was what the other shared without permission, I have converted for MFS2020 but I don't share.

I can see that it's happening again, but in another way.
The owner of http://www.allflightmods.com could talk with me and request authorization to share, but he don't. Is collecting my product from flightsim.to and sharing. So is another without balls!!! 🤣 and he is always sharing my old stuff!!! 🤣🤣🤣

One think is certain, I'm thankful for your work.

Best regards
SimEdge

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
I have spent many many hours producing freeware work for MSFS, but i am so disappointed i am not sure i will continue to share it.

The download score is good and all my work is ranked 5 star, but most people just download.
Less than 5% leave a comment. Half of it is just people asking about something they did not read properly in the instructions.

Eventually, some people leave a nice or usefull comment, but this is very few.

Preparing a scenery to be published is a lot of additional work (testing, writing instructions, taking screenshots), but it is not rewarding in the end.

What do you think ?
Don't expect a lot of comments, to give you an idea I only had a dozen comments for about 2,500 copies of Toliara that I had made as freeware.
it's like that for everyone, if you want to continue and move on, why not sell your creations;)

Country
portugal
Droide, I understand you, but don't think about it.
If they are downloading and not replying that is a big amount of ... , it means that you are recognized.

In my case, like everybody here, hours developing, publishing and then one day, BAAMMMMM, another guy sharing like it was the owner.
I have complained and a bunch of guys comes with: "you are stupid, it's freeware, he is sharing, you want recognition, bla bla bla, and more more..."
After spend hours and hours for another ball-less take the credits, I decided to remove from share.

When MFS2020 appear, friends comes with requests and requests for friend of a friend. So decided. I share the small projects with quality.
Military bases that it was what the other shared without permission, I have converted for MFS2020 but I don't share.

I can see that it's happening again, but in another way.
The owner of http://www.allflightmods.com could talk with me and request authorization to share, but he don't. Is collecting my product from flightsim.to and sharing. So is another without balls!!! 🤣 and he is always sharing my old stuff!!! 🤣🤣🤣

One think is certain, I'm thankful for your work.

Best regards
SimEdge
AHAHAH share militar bases and shut up..... :D

Hugs