• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Towards version 1.3

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Mark,

when creating the reports on an object library, pictures of the objects are created.
The nomenclature of the filenames is "object_GUID".jpg . It would be great if the report generator could generate a second set of images wich are smaller like 128x128 or so and have the nomenclature "{GUID}".jpg . These images could be used in SBuilderX (and maybe other programs) as thumbnails in the preview of an object.

That's a good idea. I already have it on the todo list to make the object report function more configurable. Adding option to specify size and naming convention is a good idea. I'll add it to the list.

Country
hungary
Hi Arno!

Great version again!

I'm working now to convert sketchup objects to 3ds. I've some problems with the drawcall minimizer but I'll post it to a separate topic.

My wished working method would be the following.
I import the collada file.
Execute the drawcall minimizer.
Export it to 3ds to further work on the object in gmax. Reduce vertices and optimise the object, maybe add some details. For me it is easier to work in gmax (it is not the fault of MCX it is just my lazyness :) ). And than export the mdl directly from gmax in whatever version (FS9 or FSX).

My question is: Is it possible in the drawcall minimizer option to choose which format he should generate the textures. I would need the dxt format to my fs and the normal bmp to use in my gmax. Or even the dds if I want to generate a model for FSX. (sorry I'm modelling for both version, but my preferred one is FS9 :) ) Maybe an option list thicks.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I think at the moment it picks the format you have set as default texture setting in the options. You can choose normal BMP there as well. Maybe I should give the choice on the drawcall minimizer form.

Country
hungary
Hi Arno!

What I mean to export the texture in several format at the same time. As you say to give a chice which formats we want in the drawcall minimzer form.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
OK, understood now.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
At first I did not implement this function because I do not want to make it too easy to use (or "steal") models for a library you did not make yourself. If you did make it yourself you should have the XML source already.

...or decompile the .bgl with one of the many tools for that out there and use the resulting .xml. ;)

With tools like MCX out there, "theft" is an almost guaranteed side-effect, so you can basically just hope that everyone using it uses it "honorably", say for him-/herself only or with permission from the original developer.

In my case, I need MCX for a rework of a performance-eating scenery with tons of objects (and even more drawcalls). I'm just doing this for my personal use at first, with a public release option once the original creator agrees to it (and not any earlier).

Btw:
The disclaimer upon export could be a bit larger, since it's a nice remainder to at least give credit where credit is due.

- Edit: Another request. :eek:

Could you make MCX read the alpha channel from 32bit bitmaps correctly, Arno? DDS (DXT5) works like a charm, but necessitates the conversion of the textures to correctly display any (semi-)transparent areas.
It would make quick cross-checks between texture editor, modeling program and MCX even quicker.

Also, the...err...liberal interpretation of animations (especially on aircraft) is a feature, rather than a bug, right? :eek: :D

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Björn,

...or decompile the .bgl with one of the many tools for that out there and use the resulting .xml. ;)

With tools like MCX out there, "theft" is an almost guaranteed side-effect, so you can basically just hope that everyone using it uses it "honorably", say for him-/herself only or with permission from the original developer.

In my case, I need MCX for a rework of a performance-eating scenery with tons of objects (and even more drawcalls). I'm just doing this for my personal use at first, with a public release option once the original creator agrees to it (and not any earlier).

True. I also said this was my initial reason. Since then I have implemented that export message in the hope to make people more aware. Those who want will always find a way to use the work of other people. So now my strategy is to warn and make people aware. So the feature to integrate working with libraries better is on the wishlist.

Could you make MCX read the alpha channel from 32bit bitmaps correctly, Arno? DDS (DXT5) works like a charm, but necessitates the conversion of the textures to correctly display any (semi-)transparent areas.
It would make quick cross-checks between texture editor, modeling program and MCX even quicker.

I was not yet aware of that issue, I'll put it on the list as well. If you happen to have a simple test object that would be helpful, else I will make some texture myself.

Also, the...err...liberal interpretation of animations (especially on aircraft) is a feature, rather than a bug, right? :eek: :D

Humm, no :). Most animations should be read in correctly by ModelConverterX. It is a well known feature (or issue) that exporting them does not work yet. Especially for aircraft.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
So now my strategy is to warn and make people aware. So the feature to integrate working with libraries better is on the wishlist.

Thanks!

I was not yet aware of that issue, I'll put it on the list as well. If you happen to have a simple test object that would be helpful, else I will make some texture myself.

Attached to this post is a simple cube with an alpha-channeled texture in both 32bit and DXT5.

I've set the default texture to the bitmap, rename the .dds' file extension to have MCX use it (it will funnily always prefer .dds even with the bitmap still active).

Humm, no :). Most animations should be read in correctly by ModelConverterX. It is a well known feature (or issue) that exporting them does not work yet. Especially for aircraft.

Well, I've tested my aircraft in MCX and some animations didn't play right (they do so fine in FSX itself though). I then loaded the default 747 to check for errors on my part and it also showed weird animation behaviour in some areas (parts of the nose gear assembly not moving with others and thrust reversers going all over the place as the animations played).

As long as the animations work as they should in FSX, this isn't an important issue anyways. I only use MCX as a quick preview tool for aircraft (textures and draw calls) anyways.

Attachments

• Test.zip
    49.9 KB · Views: 247
Country
us-illinois
Hi Arno:

We still need MCX version 1.0 available to download somewhere, since that SCASM code reader works more consistently with a wider variety of *.SCA files, IMHO, compared to version 1.2 (and the development releases). :idea:

Many thanks for your continued innovation with this outstanding utility... I'm looking forward to seeing a version 1.3 ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Do you have some information about the objects that do not work correctly anymore? The SCASM importer has not been developed a lot since version 1.0, apart from the some bugfixes. And for the test objects I use regularly I notice no difference. So to make it more robust any feedback is welcome,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Attached to this post is a simple cube with an alpha-channeled texture in both 32bit and DXT5.

I've set the default texture to the bitmap, rename the .dds' file extension to have MCX use it (it will funnily always prefer .dds even with the bitmap still active).

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. I will also check how the DDS equivalence function works, since it should prefer the one specified in the MDL file first :).

Well, I've tested my aircraft in MCX and some animations didn't play right (they do so fine in FSX itself though). I then loaded the default 747 to check for errors on my part and it also showed weird animation behaviour in some areas (parts of the nose gear assembly not moving with others and thrust reversers going all over the place as the animations played).

OK, understood. I know some animations do not show correctly (default EH101 has some issues as well). When I continue with the animations I'll take a look at this as well.