• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Transforming FS9 model to FSX.

Country
ca-quebec
Hi,

I am working on a FS9 (makeMDL) model to make a native FSX (xToMDL) model. I know that all animated parts must have keyframes, a parent part and a proper FSX animation parts name.

For example, I have a main gear with multiple parts, all parent of an other. Witch part I have to rename? The first parent part only or all parts?

Thanks.

Country
ca-quebec
Main question : did I have to rename all animated parts or just add keyframes to them?

(P.S. I have the autorisation from the author to work on his model).

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
The part names don't matter in GMAX and they use the same compiler, so all you need to do is use the method in FSDS that assigns every keyframed part with its proper animation tag. If this involves renaming parts then you do need to do that, if it is a separate process then you do not.

Country
ca-quebec
Tanks Tom,

I am a newbie in FSX plane development, and not so bilingual, so what is the difference between "part name" and "animation tag" in FSDS?

Country
ca-quebec
Hi,
I have an error in xtomdl log about wing_fold_r_pct part. But there is no wing_fold_r_pct in the model! It is surely due to an other part. Is there an easy way to find witch part?
Thanks

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I don't know how creating an FSX plane in FSDS works, sorry. All I know is that in FSX aircraft creating the part name is no longer the variable that controls which animation variable is used, at least in GMAX. As I said I don't know how FSDS handles that. I think you select the part name from a list?

A bit from this thread:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/trouble-with-gear-animation.426838/

Edit: an excerpt from the Abacus FAQ (http://www.abacuspub.com/_cart/support/fsdsv35_faq.htm) (now dead):

"Q: My animations are not working in FSX. Do you have any suggestions?

A: Animating using FSDS v3.5 is different from previous version of FS Design Studio. For all animations, you will have to use the new FSX Keyframe Animation part names.

Open the Part Properties of the part you want to animate and click the Browse button. Select FSX Keyframe Animation from the Category drop down list. Next select the proper part name. Note that there are many similar part names. For example a flap will list:

l_flap_key
l_flap_percent_key
l_flap_neg_key
l_flap_neg_percent_key
r_flap_key
r_flap_percent_key
r_flap_neg_key
r_flap_neg_percent_key

We suggest that you use the animated part names that have the word “percent” in the part name. In this case, use l_flap_percent_key and r_flap_percent_key. The first letter specifies Left or Right.

Q: My animations are not working in FSX. Do you have any suggestions?

A: All animated parts must have a parent part. To be more specific, all animated parts must have a parent part that has the same axis as the part being animated. Please see the next topic for more details.

Q: Why are my animated parts invisible when viewed in FSX?

A: In all likelihood, the animated parts are not invisible; they are just being drawn in the wrong place. All animated parts must have a parent part. To be more specific, all animated parts must have a parent part that has the same axis as the part being animated. We'll explain in more detail.

We assume that you have already animated a part as per the HELP Advanced Exercises, for example Animating Landing Gear, Animating the Ailerons or Animating a Rudder.

Country
ca-quebec
Thanks Tom,
Yes I have read the help FSDS section. It is a work in progress. I have to check all animated parts and transform them if necessary! I dont yet find the part that cause the wing_fold_r_pct error but it's a matter of time and... patience!