"transparant ground polygons with the night glow on them" ... how to?

Ok - this looks like it is going to be a soliloqui ... :(

I figured out, how to get something light up at night ("self illuminate") and found how to make something transparent ("Opacity -> 0"), but ...

HOW IN THE WORLD DO I GET THESE THINGS COMBINED?!?

When I reduce the opacity in order to make the polygon transparent, my light at night gets fainter...

Is the only way to reduce the opacity? Another way could be an alpha channel of a texture, but isn't there a GMAX-internal solution?

PLEASE!!!

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Georg,

I must say that for both transparancy and night lighting I use the textures. Almost never I use the material properties in GMax. I find it easier to just use an alpha channel and have a different version of the texture for the night.

I think it is logical if you make your object transparant, that it will also emit less light during the night.

Thanks, Arno!

Yes, of course it is logical, that a transparent material emits less light at night, but I thought of maybe having the possibility to give an object two materials - one for day and one for night, like the textures ... so I have to mess with textures ...

Please correct me if I'm wrong: For transparency I have to use DXT1 with alpha, because in DXT3 the alpha is used for reflection grade, right? That's what I know about it from aircraft painting ...

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Nope. You can can use both DXT1 and DXT3. DXT1 has only a 1 bit alpha channel (on or off), so can not be used for semi-transparant objects.

Normally the alpha channel is used for transparancy, only when you tell GMax to use it for reflection it will do so. But that only works for aircraft, not for scenery.

Ok, ok ... some days of work on my lights brought up another problem:

I built a lamp in GMAX and also created the texture file (bmp 24 bit). I assigned the texture file to the parts of the lamp and exported it. I put the MDL-File in the UserMDL folder of SGX and changed the bmp to extended bmp with DXTBMP to a DXT3 with a proper alpha. That DXT3 I put in the Texture folder of my addon Scenery where the files from SGX go at compilation.

Then I placed the lamp with SGX, compiled and run FS9. The lamp is there, but no textures :eek:

As far as I understand, the textures are not relevant to SGX, so I put them directly to the texture folder, where (I hope) FS9 would expect them ...

What went wrong?
Do I have to place the textures somewhere else for GMAX?

Sorry - can't reproduce the error :confused: , now I have rebuilt the lamp from scratch and now I have daytime textures, but no nighttime textures. The daytime textures are shown at night, too ... For the nighttime I just placed a bitmap with the same name as the daytime textures ("LampeGross.bmp") with the postfix "_lm" - "LampeGross_LM.bmp" in the texture folder ... do I have to ring some other bells somewhere to make it work?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
You need to tell GMax that you have a nighttexture as well. You can do this by putting the nighttexture in the correct material property (I always forget which one, but the MakeMDL SDK tells you).

Oh Boy :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I looked all over my tutorials - I knew, I've read it somewhere - it was in the GMAx-Tutorial from MICROSOFT in the SDK-Folder :banghead:

Now it's working! I will post some screenies when I did the tuning :wave: