FSXA Transparences

I have searched and can't find anything on this. I'm trying to make an object with tranparences as in trees or windows. I know it's something I'm not doing in Gmax because I have used textures that I know work (I used some from other people that I renamed) and they are not transparent. What am I not doing? I have the texture in dxt 3 with an alpha saved as DDS.
Thanks
Joe W

hcornea

Resource contributor
Hi Joe,
I'm presuming that you are using Gmax to creat FSX scenery?

If this is the case, then you must use FSX materials (FltSmX Material option, when creating a new material)

In under the options rollout for the material, you will find a button "Set Default Transparent"

There are other options to consider also (Z-testing, Test level, and Z-write alpha) .. but this should get you started.

You can use DXT3, but it is recommended now to use either DXT5 (multibit) ro DXT1 (single bit) alpha. That is, however, not your problem, as DXT3 textures will work fine.

Hi Joe,
I'm presuming that you are using Gmax to creat FSX scenery?

If this is the case, then you must use FSX materials (FltSmX Material option, when creating a new material)

In under the options rollout for the material, you will find a button "Set Default Transparent"

There are other options to consider also (Z-testing, Test level, and Z-write alpha) .. but this should get you started.

You can use DXT3, but it is recommended now to use either DXT5 (multibit) ro DXT1 (single bit) alpha. That is, however, not your problem, as DXT3 textures will work fine.
OK ...... I'm playing with this now. Yes I'm using Gmax. FSDS has no support. What do I set the Z-testing to or test level? It's either too transparent or not transparent enough.
Thanks
Joe W

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Joe,

The level of transparency is normally defined by the alpha channel (which grey colour you use there). These other material settings are more to prevent drawing order issues, etc.

hcornea

Resource contributor
For simple transparency

Z-test: GreaterEqual
Test Level 128
Z-Write alpha

Multi-bit textures may present problems with these standard settings in some circumstances.