• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Trees and buildings poking through new airport. help........

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi guys,

I brand new to the world of building your own airports.

I had a read through the instructions sent with FSX planner and i think i followed things resonably well however my problem is as follows:

I have built my airport and placed it on relatively flat ground where it should be in FSX however when i spawn there within FSX there are trees and buildings apparently poking through the runways etc and i can't see anyway of creating an airport boundary and texturing the ground within the boundary.

Please could someone help me out and tell me what i'm doing wrong.

thanks.
Liam

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi guys,

I brand new to the world of building your own airports.

I had a read through the instructions sent with FSX planner and i think i followed things resonably well however my problem is as follows:

I have built my airport and placed it on relatively flat ground where it should be in FSX however when i spawn there within FSX there are trees and buildings apparently poking through the runways etc and i can't see anyway of creating an airport boundary and texturing the ground within the boundary.

Please could someone help me out and tell me what i'm doing wrong.

thanks.
Liam

you need to create an airport background polygon to flatten the ground around the airport and remove the autogen. I don't think you can do that with FSX Planner and would need to use another tool such as SBuilderX or FSX KML.

Country
unitedkingdom
thanks for the reply,

is there a guide anywhere on how to do this as I am unfamiliar with the method?

thanks

Country
indonesia
Download FSX KML. Install it. Run it.
Select the tab FSX_KML_Tags.xml
Click the tag "Airport_Backgrounds_ExcludeAutoGen", Ctrl-C to copy to the clipboard.
Run Google Earth. Find your airport, or the area you are putting your airport on.
Press Ctrl-Shft-G.
Give it a name.
Click on the description.
Paste the "Airport_Backgrounds_ExcludeAutoGen" into it.
Left mouse button down, sweep the area you want to exclude.
Click OK on the 'New Polygon'
You will find it is now in 'Places' on the left.
Right click on it, select 'Save Place As'
Select kml in 'Save as type', give it a name, save it.
Go back to FSX KML. Select the 'Project' tab.
Click the 'Add KML' button. Add your saved polygon.
Select the 'Build' tab.
Make sure all the paths are correct.
Click 'Build'.
Job done.
You should find that in your "...Addon Scenery/Scenery" directory you now have a file called "cvxYourFileName.bgl"
Run FSX. You should now be treeless.

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for your help guys however I still have a problem:

I managed to use AFX to get rid of the trees and buildings poking through my airfield by using an exclusion traingle however I have had to raise the airport elevation to a level where the runways down't disappear into the (slightly hilly) terrain around it.

I now have the runways and taxiways raised approx 100ft of the ground to achieve this and therefore have a 100ft drop of the side of runway or taxiways to the default scenery down below.

Question is how can I edit the default/airport scenery so that the ground is brought up to the same level as the runways and taxiways etc????????

any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Liam

Country
indonesia
Use "Airport_Backgrounds_Flatten_ExcludeAutoGen" in FSX KML.
Click on the tag in "Projects" in the left box.
Click on "Vertices" in the right box.
Click "edit".
Click "set elevation".
Continue as before.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for your help guys however I still have a problem:

I managed to use AFX to get rid of the trees and buildings poking through my airfield by using an exclusion traingle however I have had to raise the airport elevation to a level where the runways down't disappear into the (slightly hilly) terrain around it.

I now have the runways and taxiways raised approx 100ft of the ground to achieve this and therefore have a 100ft drop of the side of runway or taxiways to the default scenery down below.

Question is how can I edit the default/airport scenery so that the ground is brought up to the same level as the runways and taxiways etc????????

any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Liam

Sorry to say but you have not solved your problem. There is still a requirement for a terrain polygon to flatten the airport area and exclude the autogen. AFX does not have that capability. You need to use one of the tools mentioned earlier - FSX KML, SBuilderX or perhaps ADE.

rhb

Country
us-newyork
Well I am completely new to this, but frankly found it easy to construct a new airport from scratch, what an amazing tool. I also had the problem of stuff sticking up in my airport as well as initially my runways were floating over the terrain.
What I did not knowing the "right" way to do it:
I have UTX and FS genesis installed.
I just created extended aprons and placed my runways within their boundaries. I used some different colors to blend with the surrounds. Using exclusion triangles solved the buildings and trees popping through. The problem is with utx many airports and including mine are raised at one end or where ever the terrain is uneven. this I was told was an FSX limitation. airports can not follow the terrain.
Any way I have a cool airport exactly where it is supposed to be despite a quarry having been dug on sight since the airport was overtaken by development. Former 8N9 Warrington PA. where I learned to fly.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Airports in FS generally speaking are flat. There are techniques to make sloping runways but airports created using XML code need to be flat.

rhb

Country
us-newyork
i am soo pleased at my initial success, I may try the above method to flatten my airport, although with my limited experience, might bring frustration. We shall see...

Country
germany
Auotgene on Scansims EKCH V3

Hi out there,
I do not know what happened but I find auotgens trees and houses on EKCH taxiways in default and in the SCANSIM airport. The Sacnsim EKCH has the highest priority no other sceneries but the defaults are actvated and I find this autogens.
Now I tried the above mentioned process everything works fine thnx the good tutorial, but the result is still the same.
Of course I do not know if with the process a good working exclusion bgl was really build. If somebody want to lookin it? I will attach that bgl.

If somebody has an idea what else to do, please tell me.
Regards Tom

3 hours later:
After 2 days of investigation the answer to the problem was quite easy, there was a terrain.cfg which was altered trough an installation of another addon. Using the BU terrain.cfg solved the issue.
Regards Tom

Last edited: