• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Trees shadows: Possible to create trees ground shadows but no plane shadows?

Country
germany
Hi,

just wonder if it is possible to add shadows to custom made trees which are only visible on ground but not on the trees itselves. Using the shadow-mode in P3Dv4 shows great ground shadows but still bad shadows of the two planes my trees are made of. Each hint is much appreciated.

Country
germany
Thank you very much, Gary. Will do some more experiments with self-shadowing and the Z-Bias option in MCX.

Country
germany
Thanks again, Gary. Well, will see if I can get a compromise - I currently try to design my sceneries for P3Dv4 downwards to FSX, so I try to create most models usable in both sim versions. And there is still a different how the sims use shadows. Will test all options in your links above this weekend. Some tree shadows issues I solved meanwhile by adding some smaller vegetation in front - so the bigger shadows of the bigger tree planes are covered by them. Smaller shadows seem to be less noticeable.

Country
germany
Okay, there is a fact I noticed today. Getting this into my MCX settings, I would be glad and my problem would be solved:

Playing around with my P3Dv4 settings, I see my trees appear perfectly when I unticked "Simulation Objects: receive" inside the Shadow Section under the Lighting Options. That would be perfect, but in this case, all shadows upon my designed Air Base objects are gone too.

So my question:
Is there an option to set any lighting or shadow option in MCX that does the same to my tree models, please? An option that my trees cast shadows but not on themselves?