• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Trying to Create Attach Points for Carrier Blast Shields

As the title says, I'm trying to create the attach points for the carrier catapult blast shields (JBD's). I've written the XML the same as the other attach points that are working fine.

PartNames
JBD_1

PartDataDefs
JBD_1 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> <FSMakeMdlData version="9.0"> <Attachpoint name="attachpt_blast_shield_1"> </Attachpoint> </FSMakeMdlData>

The Wiki and also the Microsoft seem sort of vague on exactly the modeler is suppose to do..

For each catapult required add an attachpt_catapult_start_n, attachpt_catapult_end_n, and an attachpt_blast_shield_n. The start position is the point where the aircraft should connect its launch bar. The blast shield point should be the center hinge of the shield.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Catapult/Arrestor_Operations_(FSXA)
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Catapult/Arrestor_Operations_(FSXA)
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526950.aspx
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526950.aspx
When I try to compile the model in FSDS I get this error

OutputFile: _temp.MDL
Output file after modification: _temp.MDL
Creating output MDL file: _temp.MDL
CRASHTREE no granularity specified
CRASHTREE completed in 00:00:00.0156250
<!-- ++++ Processing Animation : switch_master_starter_all ++++ -->
error :
error : Failed processing animation file!!
error :
error : System.FormatException: Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).

error : at System.Guid..ctor(String g)

error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XAnimToAnimLib.FileExporter.WriteGuid(String S)

error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XAnimToAnimLib.ANIMProcessor.WriteGUID(String GUID)

error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XAnimToAnimLib.ANIMProcessor.WriteANIM(XmlNode node)

error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XAnimToAnimLib.ANIMProcessor.WriteANIMLib(XmlNode node)

error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XAnimToAnimLib.ANIMProcessor.GenerateOutput(FileExporter Exporter)

error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XAnimToAnimLib.XAnimToAnimLib.Process(Stream OutputStream)

Not sure where to go from here, Any ideas?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Ok, have you looked at the default carrier? It looks like you are using "switch_master_starter_all" as you animation tag. That is a user variable, like when you turn the switch. The blast shield and catapult are passive animations, they initiate when you perform actions in your aircraft, by deploying the launch bar and triggering launch. The numerical sequence that replaces "n" actually starts with zero. as in "attachpt_catapult_start_0, "attachpt_catapult_start_1," etc. So you place these specific animation tags on your ship model in the locations stated, making sure they are not too far from the model center. Each station is numbered together, "attachpt_catapult_start_0," "attachpt_catapult_end_0," and "attachpt_blast_shield_0." If you follow that convention it should work. Also if you want, you could upload your model for review.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Ok, have you looked at the default carrier? It looks like you are using "switch_master_starter_all" as you animation tag. If so, that is a user variable, like when you turn the switch. The blast shield and catapult are passive animations, they initiate when you perform actions in your aircraft, by deploying the launch bar and triggering launch. The numerical sequence that replaces "n" actually starts with zero. as in "attachpt_catapult_start_0, "attachpt_catapult_start_1," etc. So you place these specific animation tags on your ship model in the locations stated, making sure they are not too far from the model center. Each station is numbered together, "attachpt_catapult_start_0," "attachpt_catapult_end_0," and "attachpt_blast_shield_0." If you follow that convention it should work. Also if you want, you could upload your model for review.

Thanks =rk= I found the "blastshield_1_pct" in the part name list and I no longer get the compile error but when I hook up to the cat, the JBD doesn't raise. It launches fine, the IFOLS works great and the arresting cables work great. I have a basic 100 frame animation set frame at 0 advanced 100 frames rotated the JBD on its axis to 55 degrees and set the frame and saved. Created a polygon for my attach point and placed it at the center of my JBD and called it "attachpt_blast_shield_1". I think I'm missing a step here but I can't see where...

Last edited:
Okay, with enough searching, trial and error upon error I believe that my PartDataDefs XML is incomplete, I think I need to write in "attachedobject" but I'm not sure how to write it in for the pct. I've looked for an example with no results. Can someone point me in the right direction?