• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Trying to get rid of default terrain texture

Country
greece
Is there a way to actually get rid of it and apply another ground material (like gravel ) in the selected area by using the material editor to apply the new texture to a polygon?Because despite my many efforts the default ground remains visible behind the chosen texture.Even though it seems there are certain ground materials more opaque than others it's still impossible to completely cover the default terrain by using any type of groung available.
I'trying to apply the correct type of terrain to our local airfield overriding the wrong base terrain by making a scenery rather than an airport so I'm unable to use airport related assets like runway,apron e.t.c.
An effort to edit a provided SDK ground texture trying to make it less transparent or completely opaque left me emptyhanded most likely because I'm completely unaware how the "edit" a certain texture works.
So,is there a way to attribute the correct terrain type to my scenery or I have to be content and getting used to the default one?

Attachments

• Screenshot (36).png
    Screenshot (36).png
    4 MB · Views: 187
Country
unitedstates
Is it possible it's a road you're trying to cover up? Those definitely won't cover, and, as I understand it, Asobo has not given us a tool to exclude roads yet. I am impatiently waiting :mad: )

;)

Country
greece
In fact yes,besides the normal default terrain I'm trying to cover there's also this road inside the airfield.The road was present in the past (when the terrain data was primarily taken by Asobo) however the road is not existent anymore as the airfield is considerably expanded during the last two years.
But appart from the road I'm trying to also cover the adjacent crop fields which are also a part of the airfield (to the right side of runway in the photo).Without knowing a proper way to add a new terrain texture instead of the original (and outdated) one, it's imposible to complete my scenery.
But if at least manage to find the way to cover anything else I could be satisfied even with the small part of the road still remaing visible until Asobo gives us a tool to edit such parts of the default scenery as well.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Ground textures and polygons don't seem to work very well. I always use an apron for the entire area and give it plenty of fall off to make it attempt to blend into the surroundings a bit more naturally. I also experiment with the apron's ground merging and opacity as that can make things look more natural too.

Country
greece
That's what I was afraid of! I already tried to use apron but SDK wont let me add it since my scenery isn't an Airport like it says but a simple "scenery" instead.Besides I don't even know how to use apron instead of a poly.Is there any good instructions anywhere to help me out?Is it possible for small areas like runway border lines and runway designators to be constructed using Apron?

Country
unitedkingdom
So you have an airport but the SDK isn't agreeing? That's strange.

Why not extend the airport radius to cover absolutely everything you want just in case the scenery is outside of the radius at the moment. It doesn't matter how far it goes out unless maybe there's another airport.

I always use aprons for runway borders. I've seen people using aprons to enhance runway designators.

For custom shapes, in the apron menu click on default and trace out the shape just as you would with a polygon, either one click placing or not. Use the priority bit in the apron's properties if you want one apron's shape to override another as you often have them overlapping.

Country
greece
So you have an airport but the SDK isn't agreeing? That's strange.

Why not extend the airport radius to cover absolutely everything you want just in case the scenery is outside of the radius at the moment. It doesn't matter how far it goes out unless maybe there's another airport.

I always use aprons for runway borders. I've seen people using aprons to enhance runway designators.

For custom shapes, in the apron menu click on default and trace out the shape just as you would with a polygon, either one click placing or not. Use the priority bit in the apron's properties if you want one apron's shape to override another as you often have them overlapping.
No,the opposite happens...I built a "scenery",not an "Airport" that's why SDK wont let me add airport related assets like runways,aprons e.t.c.
I wonder if I could built an airport on the scenery I already made.Only (?) thing is MSFS has an airfield there by default,however the default scenery is largely outdated and wrong that's why I decided to enhance the default scenery and bring it to its actual state.
If I only could add an "airport" project exactly where I already made my "scenery" project would be great!But then again how the default airfield (LGKH) will be treated by MSFS when my airport project will be placed exactly at the same spot?
Many thanks for your help!

Country
unitedkingdom
Lots of people have created enhanced airports that were already in the sim.

I've only experimented very briefly with it as I only do non existing airports, but as soon as you create an airport project at an existing site it deletes everything in sim and you're left with a bare location. I presume your own creation overrides the in sim airport once it's done and placed in the community folder.

Country
greece
Great!
I'll start right away the airport project!I believe there will not be any problem if my "airport" project has only the things I'm unable to add to my already made "scenery" project.Like I'll make only the runway,its markings and the terrain around it.This way the general airfield scenery will remain as I already built it so far and the runway and all the rest will come from my "airport" project!
Great help guys,many thanks!

Country
unitedstates
Great!
I'll start right away the airport project!I believe there will not be any problem if my "airport" project has only the things I'm unable to add to my already made "scenery" project.Like I'll make only the runway,its markings and the terrain around it.This way the general airfield scenery will remain as I already built it so far and the runway and all the rest will come from my "airport" project!
Great help guys,many thanks!
You get to choose what you keep and suppress from the default airport with the delete airport object.

Country
greece
You get to choose what you keep and suppress from the default airport with the delete airport object.
I noticed there is such an option however the default LGKH airfield is just a field without any airport item on it.Even the runway is depicted exactly as received from Bing imagery,nothing else.Therefore there isn't anything to exclude so I left all related boxes unchecked.
I already made the soil runway using the "runway" tool,the emergency extensions at both runway ends by using the "apron" tool as well as the rest of the airfield with "apron" as well.In fact by adding apron the default ground coverage is way better than with polys.Even the road is bearly visible now!!Aside from that,apron gives you a lot more and better selections and options to customize almost everything and make the area look way more realistic!
I'll add a couple of pics of the finished project along some from the real world airfield upon completion.
Many thanks again for all the great help guys!!

Country
greece
Hey guys,
the other day when I tried to load in editor the previously saved airport project (.bgl) I'm working with this strange thing happened

Screenshot (40).png

Screenshot (41).png

The saved aprons,painted lines,and the runway appear only as an outline rather as a whole!
Has anyone else noticed such a strange behaviour from the scenery editor?
Please help,it will be way too difficult to complete my project without knowing how things look like in SDK environment.
Many thanks.

Country
unitedstates
I've been trying to remove old taxiways from KCRP. The asphalt is not there but the taxiway impressions are so apparent they appear even though I've used aprons, exclusion rectangles, and polygons and have deleted everything in airport properties. The delete function just doesn't seem to work very well. Any insight would be helpful.

Country
unitedstates
I've been trying to remove old taxiways from KCRP. The asphalt is not there but the taxiway impressions are so apparent they appear even though I've used aprons, exclusion rectangles, and polygons and have deleted everything in airport properties. The delete function just doesn't seem to work very well. Any insight would be helpful.
That's most likely because they are associated with the satellite image underneath. I think there is an option for not allowing the ground underneath to show through, either turn off Ground Merge, or set it to appear above runways might do the trick. I think there are also some materials that are better than others for not appearing transparent to what's underneath.

Country
unitedstates
That's most likely because they are associated with the satellite image underneath. I think there is an option for not allowing the ground underneath to show through, either turn off Ground Merge, or set it to appear above runways might do the trick. I think there are also some materials that are better than others for not appearing transparent to what's underneath.
In the airport properties it allows you to set up parameters. I don't see the options you are referring to. Can you be more specific as to where these options are? Thank you.

Country
greece
...there's also another feature leting you adjust the transparency of the material from completely transparent to 100% opaque.And I also confirm there are certain materials with substantialy better behaviour on the subject.I can't recall right now where exactly these settings are but if you haven't found them until Monday when I'be at my computer again I would cladly help you out.
Concerning my OP about the airport project appearing incorectly as an outline it was because the ICAO code name I was giving to the airport was wrong and unrecognizable by SDK as it supposed to "accept" only oficial ICAO registered airport codes.As soon as I entered the default airfield name with which the sim has the airfield registered in its database everything appeared corectly.

Country
unitedstates
I have made up ICAO codes in the past in FS9 and FSX, but they are private airports that don't have official ICAO codes. In fact, I just released an airport that was decommissioned in 2006, so, technically it's code does not now exist, and it worked fine.

I can see, however, if you are trying to redo an existing airport, and misspelled the code, why the system would be confused.

As far as the options I was speaking of, they're not in the airport object, they're a combination of polygon and apron and line object properties as well as material properties.

Country
greece
The project I was working on (and its now finished) is an airfield already existing in MSFS by default with the arbitrary ICAO code LGKH.If you look for such a code in ICAO airport codes database you'll come up empty handed as such a code is nonexistent however the sim "decided" to assign its own pseudo ICAO codes everywhere.I tried to assign to the airfield its original local code name LGZZ04 (all Greek airfields or small private/semi private strips have the same "LGZZ" prefix while "04" designates the specific strip) however the SDK system didn't recognise my code as a valid one therefore it was unable to "bypass" the default airfield and appear mine instead.

Last edited: