Trying to make a building

Friends and neighbors: I have a problem that has probably been discussed a thousand times, but I really don't know how to search for it, so please excuse an old man's addled brain. Here's the problem...I am trying to make a semi-circular building. I figured to make a short tube with the appropriate radii, and height segments. Then I select the poly's that are not relevant and either delete or detach them. I then make poly's to cover the open ends, open the material editor and select the appropriate material, apply button and the little blue and white box. When I unwrap uvw it won't let me select the faces to texture. There is obviously something I am doing wrong, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

I know there are some great modelers and texturizers out there but please don't fill me up with gizmo this and spline that. I am doing right fine to just open Gmax, so if somebody can explain what I am doing wrong in "baby talk", I will eat my first born male child in your honor

No, I apply the texture with the material editor, then unwrap uvw, on the roll out I tick off select faces. But when I try to select a face, I have an arrow cursor (not the little cross) and it won't let me select a face to texture

n4gix

Resource contributor
No, I apply the texture with the material editor, then unwrap uvw, on the roll out I tick off select faces. But when I try to select a face, I have an arrow cursor (not the little cross) and it won't let me select a face to texture
GMax doesn't automatically generate accurate UVW Maps for you. That is why the best technique is to create your own.

1. Polygon sub-mode, select the poly(s) you wish to UVW Map
2. Align View so you are "facing" the selected poly(s)
3. Add a UVW Map modifier, click View Align, then set the size of the UVW Map to be square.
4. Add a UVW Unwrap modifer, click Edit, select all vertices and move outside the bounding box temporarily.
5. Add a Mesh Select (or Poly Select) modifier, go to Poly sub-mode and select the next set of poly(s) you wish to UVW Map. Repeat steps #2 through #4 until all poly(s) have been UVW Mapped.

6. Add a final Mesh Select (or Poly Select) modifier, Select all polys, then add a final UVW Unwrap modifier.
7. Open the UVW Editor's window and begin the process of selecting, sizing and moving your mapped vertices to best use the available space within the bounding box.

If it helps, think of this process as if you were moving around the building a snapping a series of digital photos of the walls, roof, et cetera... :D

Last edited:

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
I figured to make a short tube with the appropriate radii, and height segments. Then I select the poly's that are not relevant and either delete or detach them. I then make poly's to cover the open ends
Much simpler to use the slice function when creating the tube....

Last edited:
Thats a good tutorial Bill,

I have problems with texturing too so this was very useful. But let me get this straight, you will add multiple Mesh/Poly Select, UVW Maps/Unwraps to the same object? (in fact 1 for each group of polys you are texturing).

Then in points 6 and 7 you are then adding a futher Mesh/Poly Select and then another UVW Unwrap to then put positions of the polys onto the texture sheet? (to then copy into your favourite paint program to draw textures). I also notice you state to make the box map square. Is this because the texture sheet will be square? I have had instances in the past texturing a rectangle poly but the poly on the UVW Edit was not the same ratio aspect as the original rectangle (more square)

I've been using the method in BillW's video, assigning Material ID's to groups of polys and then applying a single UVW Map and Unwrap. Is your method not using Material ID's? EG Another approach to the same thing?

Cheers

Mark

Last edited:

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
So far I've learned at least three different approaches to applying textures in Gmax. The one I like best and have been using the longest is the method explained in this tutorial by Bill Womak....

http://www.newsite.fsdeveloper.com/..._building_video_tutorial&diff=next&oldid=1491

It's not necesssarily a better method than the one previously described here, just another alternative to consider.

I mostly use Sketchup now to make 3D objects instead of Gmax. Yet another altnernative. :)

n4gix

Resource contributor
Mark, whether you assigne MatIDs to groups of polygons or not, the same techniques apply.

The only "advantage" of using MatIDs is that you can verify that the polys are correctly "grouped together" before beginning the UVW Mapping exercise.

For a very complex model (such as an aircraft fuselage) it is well worth the time, as it is quite possible that one might need to go back and re-UVW Map any MatID group of polys several times before everything is as perfect as it can be. Also, if your polys are grouped by MatID, then you can display/hide them in the UVW Editor using the spinner on the bottom toolbar... :)

For something relatively simple (such as a building) it is -quite frankly- more effor than it's worth...

And yes, the reason the UVW Map should be square is because the bitmap(s) are typically square and powers of two.

If you are using non-square textures, then of course the UVW Map's size should likewise be in proportion to the texture size...

For example, sometimes I find it more convenient to use a 2048 wide by 1024 high texture, in which case my UVW Map's size should have similar proportions... :D

Friends, Romans and country folk...I am overwhelmed by the helpful responses to my question, and I would like to thank everybody personally. I have however, figured out what I was doing wrong and now have the curved portion of my terminal showing up in FSX. I would like to ask one more question though. I have designed two parts of the terminal and saved them separately, is there a way to open both of them in the same window so that I can join them together? Again, thanx in advance for any and all help proffered.

Sidney Schwartz

Resource contributor
One way is to use the Merge function in the File menu. Open the scene with building part A, then tell Gmax to merge building part B into the scene. Grouping all the parts of part B first makes it easier to position part B once it's been merged.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Using the Group/UnGroup feature is also a wonderfully easy way to generate an unwanted "OBED Scaling Error" in your project...

...if you haven't had one yet, consider yourself extremely lucky... :coffee: