• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

TSC Won't Connect To FSX

Country
us-newjersey
Hi Don,

While you're "under the hood" maybe you could have a look at a communication problem I'm having. TS won't connect to FSX if it is opened prior to running FSX. The only way it will connect is if FSX is started before running TS. I'm using v1.2.05 w/FSUIPC (latest version, registered) W7, FSX+A, ADE 1.70.

Jay

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Jay, I don't have similar difficulties.

What version of FSX do you have installed? Please tell me EXACTLY what is in the title bar of your FSX window when FSX is running.

Don

Country
us-newjersey
Don,

Not sure what you mean by asking what is in the title bar of FSX but here is the exact version of FSX as reported by the "About Microsoft Flight Simulator" under the "Help" tab: Microsoft Flight X Simulator Deluxe, 10.0.61637.0 (FSX-Xpack.20070926-1421)

This repeatable every time. TS won't connect to FSX unless FSX is run 1st.

TS will not connect if it is run before running FSX.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The title bar is the very top strip of the FSX window when FSX is running. It should say something like "Microsoft Flight Simulator X".

DOn

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Do you have the correct version of SimConnect installed. TS should connect via SimConnect if started before FlightSim. If does for me.

Don

Country
us-newjersey
Don,

I ran ADE Environment Checker and it reports my simconnect version as SP2/Acceleration. I also ran the simconnect test and it passed. I looked at my FSUIPC.log and it says that it did connect to simconnect, all looks fine. I then disabled FSUIPC thru the dll.xml and ran FSX and then TS. It did connect via simconnect, as reported in the title bar. I then shut down FSX and TS. I started TS then I started FSX, no go. It just says (FlightSim not running) in the title bar. After this, I updated TS to v1.2.06 and no change at all with this issue.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
When both FSUIPC and Simconnect are installed, TS will connect via FSUIPC when started while Flightsim is running. But if Flightsim is started later, TS will connect via Simconnect - because SimConnect communication becomes available before FSUIPC.

If, when you tested starting FS with Flightsim active the connection was made via Simconnect, that means that FSUIPC was not running at least not responding as expected.

The only thing I can think of in your situation is that whatever is wrong with your FSUIPC, it is preventing TS from connecting to Simconnect when Flightsim is started when TS is running.

I'll have a look, at the comm code to see if this could happen.

Don

Country
us-newjersey
Don,

When I wrote that TS connected via simconnect it was done while FSUIPC was disabled by me, just to test *IF* TS would connect via simconnect, and it did, successfully. However, it still would not connect if TS was running prior to starting flightsim. There doesn't *seem* to be anything wrong with my simconnect, of course, that doesn't mean there isn't. I don't believe it is something about FSUIPC because even when I disabled it TS would not connect to flightsim if TS was started before flightsim was running. I can send you my FSUIPC.log to confirm that it is working with simconnect, if need be.

I hope I'm explaining this properly because now I'm getting confused :scratchch

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I can send you my FSUIPC.log to confirm that it is working with simconnect, if need be.
No point. I'm neither a FSUIPC or Simconnect expert.

I have confirmed that if TS has been installed properly and one or the other of FSUIPC or Simconnect are available and operational, TS will connect either before or after starting FlightSim. Since I am unable to duplicate your issue and no one else is reporting it, I have little choice but to assume the problem lies within your system.

I appreciate this issue is an inconvenience for you but, at the moment, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it.

Don

Country
us-illinois
Hi Don:

Possibly you may personally recall this info, but I'm posting here to provide additional help resources for troubleshooting these types of scenarios.

AFAIK, when FSUIPC was released for FSX RTM et seq, it was programmed to allow connections to the FS sub-system only via SimConnect.

Thus, FSUIPC has become a 3rd party "front-end" for SimConnect in FSX and P3D, and continues to be a stand-alone application for FS2Kx.

IIRC, according to Pete Dowson, this was due to a requirement by ACES that all such FS connections must take place via that method, although apparently one can have several numeric versions of SimConnect.DLLs installed and active at one time.

Certainly many may find the FSUIPC interface methods a preferable way to connect to a currently loaded and running version of FS, but, IIUC, FSUIPC will only work if a version of SimConnect required by that current loaded and running version of FS is also installed and working properly.

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/45074-fsx-help-logging-simconnect/

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/44295-fsuipc4-on-fsx-and-firewalls-revised/

https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/tips/Pages/BlockItOrNot.aspx

[EDITED]

So, IIUC, if the version of SimConnect required for the current version of FS that is loaded and running is not present and/or not working properly, FSUIPC will not be able to connect to FS either (because, AFAIK, it ultimately must also make its 'own' connection to FS ...via SimConnect). :alert:

[END_EDIT]

Hope this info helps those troubleshooting these types of FSUIPC and SimConnect issues. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Thanks for the input, Gary.

Terrain Sculptor (TS) must deal with all versions of Flightsim. Since Simconnect doesn't apply to FS9, it provides an explicit interface via FSUIPC.

For simplicity of coding, TS defaults to FSUIPC when FlightSim is running when TS is started. If FSUIPC is not installed or throws an exception, TS attempts to determine which, if any, version of Flightsim is running. If it finds a Flightsim window, it connects via Simconnect. Whether or not FSUIPC is installed on the target system is irrelevant since the FSUIPC Client .dll is included with TS. If no version of FS is running, or if TS is unable to connect, then it retries every second until a connection is made.

If Flightsim is not running at startup but FSUIPC reports Flightsim running in response to one of the 1-second ticks, TS will connect via FSUIPC. However, given the way in which Flightsim starts up, it is likely (a certainty?) that TS will discover a FlightSim window has been opened before FSUIPC "kicks in" and TS will attempt to connect via Simconnect. But, if that fails and FSUIPC is installed, TS will connect via FSUIPC eventuaally.

So, as far as I can tell, "all bases are covered". I appreciate there may be more than one way to "skin this cat". But, if someone sees "holes" in that logic, please let me know.

As regards this particular user, I am at a loss to explain what happening, since FSUIPC does connect if Flightsim is started first. However, it does appear to be a local problem since no one else is reporting such difficulty and I have tried, unsuccessfully, several different way simulating faults to induce the issue.

Don

Country
us-illinois
Hi Don:

I edited my post above in an effort to better convey what I recall from a post by Pete Dowson at AVSIM years ago that described the mechanism by which FSUIPC is also required to connect to FSX (and now P3D) via SimConnect (but not "directly" via its own module code ...as it otherwise continues to be able to do for 'legacy' FS2Kx versions).

My point was that if (somehow) a required version of the SimConnect subsystem was not present and/or not working properly for a running session and version of FSX / P3D, FSUIPC would also not be able to connect.

But, it would certainly be interesting to discover current builds of FSUIPC are able to connect "directly" to FSX / P3D via their 'own' module code independently from SimConnect, or if FSUIPC is otherwise able to utilize older versions of SimConnect to still connect to FS via a "fallback" mechanism. :scratchch

UPDATE:

I just read the latest (edited ?) version of this thread post linked above, and indeed it confirms that as of version 4.20, FSUIPC now does have the ability to automatically connect and run on earlier versions of SimConnect via an internal compatibility option:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/44295-fsuipc4-on-fsx-and-firewalls-revised/

NOTE: The latest FSUIPC versions are cited and linked ...here:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/80977-updated-modules/

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-newjersey
Thanks for the further input, GaryGB, all I can add is that both ADE and SBuilderX connect to my FSX if run prior to running FSX or after. No issue with either. It's only TS that won't connect if run prior to running FSX. If I close TS (after starting FSX) and then run TS, it connects immediately. Also, FSUIPC reports that my simconect version is 61259, if that matters.

Jay