• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Turboprop engine tuning

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
As I pointed out in the original post, I was working on the C-2/E-2 turboprops which, above about 45% PLA, run at constant prop speed of 1105 RPM. The way that RPM is maintained is similar to that used in the sim and it works as follows. If the Prop RPM is above 1105, then the pitch angle is increased slightly which creates more power required and so the prop slows down to the normal 1105. These airplanes do not vary Prop RPM for noise abatement nor range considerations.
From what you say and I have learned by studying the King Air Flight Manual the Pt-6 behaves differently.
So I assume that the sim does a generic Turboprop just like it does a generic turbojet or turbofan, one model fits all.
My approach in developing engine FDE is to simply create the best performance match between an airplane and its performance manual figures and pay less attention to the niceties. If the speeds are correct and the climb and range data is within 3 to 5% I'm happy.
Roy

If the speeds are correct and the climb and range data is within 3 to 5% I'm happy.
That's the problem with many armchair pilots. They dismiss an FDE as unrealistic if the fuel flow is off by 1%, since they don't know (or don't accept) that even on long range heavies like the 767, FF can be easily higher than 5% of the book value.

@jcomm, that's why I 'love' formulas..since IRL they apparently don't always work ;) The quoted values are from a standard PA-31T with PT6A-28 engines.
Another question is what a pilot might consider 'no change'. If we take e.g. Roys 3-5% margin, the PA-31Ts 2% difference might be simply ignored by some pilots.

Country
portugal
I see and fully agree with your approach Roy.

My post wasn't actually meant to be "against" it, quite on the contrary, juat to point out some "limitation" on ACES's approach when they modelled the turboprop.

Your view of a more generic approach, suiting both free-running à lá PT-6 and single shaft à lá Garret, types makes a lot of sense.

taguilo

Resource contributor
Country
argentina
If one changes the prop RPM the Power does not chance so the torque must. If the RPM is decreased the Torque will rise. No Fuel flow variations... And it makes sense to reduce RPM when transitioning from climb to cruise, at constant throttle...

This is completely correct.
Fuel Flow on PT6A engines is governed by FCU; changes depend exclusively on Power Lever position AND gas generator RPM status at different flight levels (air density)

With a constant altitude and power lever position, changing prop RPM must not produce any FFlow noticeable change, appart from a momentary variation just after props are repositioned, because of a brief disruption of flight conditions.

PA-31T S.L. ISA 2000 RPM 246ktas 1628lbft = 754lb/hr
PA-31T S.L. ISA 1900 RPM 246ktas 1628lbft = 736lb/hr

That is correct. Lower Prop RPM with same torque means lower Gas Generator RPM (N1), which in turn means lower FFlow.

Actually so far the only desktop sim I've used that properly models this feature of a free-runing ( PT-6 like ) trubine is ELITE IFT and it's B200.

Milviz Turbine Otter models PT6 engine almost exactly like real, including accurate FFlow values and behavior.

Tom