• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Turning payload weight on and off?

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

1. Is it possible... to turn a payload weight on and off? Easily...? Something that would have weight to it?

I am trying to mimic a handling effect, and it would need/require the addition of weight, to be able to add and take off weight, perhaps over and over.

I know we have Ballast. But can we 'add' ballast? Can we click a button and ballast is refilled?

I do not want to do this with fuel, but that is a last resort. My true wish is to use a payload, like bomb ordinance, and be able to reload it, including its weight. The key in his exercise is 'replacing it'.

Hoping there is an easy way... Especially hopefully not having to use C++ or other such exotic programming, as I have no idea how that is done. Only XML.

Thanks for any idea's...

Bill
LHC

Country
canada
Can't you just add more stations to the aircraft.cfg file and do the add delete of weight through weight and balance menu? what am I missing

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Mass can be added to and subtracted from stations via XMLTools. I've used this for the odd payload manager.

Country
us-arizona
Mass can be added to and subtracted from stations via XMLTools. I've used this for the odd payload manager.

Roger that, Bjoern. I was told this by Spokes. Going to check that out, see how its done.

Can't you just add more stations to the aircraft.cfg file and do the add delete of weight through weight and balance menu? what am I missing

Ron, what I want is a clickable way, or gauge, to handle the payload being turned on and off. No menu routing.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Roger that, Bjoern. I was told this by Spokes. Going to check that out, see how its done.

The last aircraft mod I've done for the Feelthere ERJ has a payload manager. You can analyze its code for reference or adapt my code to your purposes. Read the Readme for details on how to operate it. :)

Country
us-arizona
Thanks Bjoern,

Unfortunately, I run V4, so I would need 64bit. :(

This looks like a cool feature that the Fokker 100 should have. Nicely done. Very clean cut looking.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Thanks Bjoern,

Unfortunately, I run V4, so I would need 64bit. :(

XMLTools has a 64 bit release:

The load manager itself is pure XML, so it should be good to go in FSX and P3D.

This looks like a cool feature that the Fokker 100 should have. Nicely done. Very clean cut looking.

Well, any add-on aircraft should have a load manager because it's so much easier to operate than the simplistic FSX menu.
I've coded a similar (yet unrealeased) tool for X-Plane, which is more complex because that sim does not have defined payload stations in its flight model. You'll have to make up your own and then calculate total payload mass (easy) and the resulting center of gravity shift (easy, but complex) and pass that to the sim.

And I like my tools like I like my posts - straight to the point, lol.

I think I have a working implementation of the manager for your Quest Kodiak (and maybe Aerospool). Can send it to you for studying if you like.

Country
us-arizona
I think I have a working implementation of the manager for your Quest Kodiak (and maybe Aerospool). Can send it to you for studying if you like.
Bjoern

I would appreciate that. I was looking at the Kodiak yesterday. Its fuselage and cabin needs to be totally revamped and updated to todays standards and new build. Would be cool to have a Load Manager for it. Also a very nice checklist system for it. There is a guy on YouTube that flies Kodiaks in one of the Island locations. That is one cool plane. Very sophisticated though, and pricey. They treat them like little airliners.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
The X-Plane rendition of the Kodiak is also quite popular.
I think the only checklist add-on I have is a plain and simple gauge with nothing but page flip functionality. A far cry from the one in Ant's T-28 that was really cool.