• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Unable to build sample packages in FS2020 SDK

Country
unitedstates
Read through the SDK last night and tried to follow the directions today and build the simpleaerial and simpleairport packages in the simulator. I'm getting error messages and it's not showing the projects in the sim. Any thoughts?

PackageBuilder | Reading D:\MSFS SDK\Samples\SimpleAerial\SimpleAerialProject.xml...
PackageBuilder | Preparing asset groups...
PackageBuilder | Done, 2 asset groups registered.
PackageBuilder | Generating commands for package mycompany-aerial...
PackageBuilder | Preparing commands for asset group Secondary aerial...
PackageBuilder | Ready, 1 commands added.
PackageBuilder | Starting the build...
PackageBuilder | Building assets for the package mycompany-aerial...
Compiling CGL file(s)
PackageBuilder | Reloading assets for the package mycompany-aerial...
Compiling CGL file(s)
PackageBuilder | Finished, 0 skipped, 1 done and 0 failed, took 0s153ms.
PackageBuilder | Done, 2 asset groups registered.
PackageBuilder | No partial lister for asset type CGL
Failed to find asset group where the given path is located
PackageBuilder | Couldn't find asset configuration during partial build for file D:\MSFS SDK\Samples\SimpleAerial\PACKAGES\MYCOMPANY-AERIAL\MANIFEST.JSON

PackageBuilder | Couldn't find asset configuration during partial build for file D:\MSFS SDK\Samples\SimpleAerial\PACKAGES\MYCOMPANY-AERIAL\LAYOUT.JSON

PackageBuilder | Couldn't find asset configuration during partial build for file D:\MSFS SDK\Samples\SimpleAerial\PACKAGES\MYCOMPANY-AERIAL\CGL\021\SAI230.CGL

PackageBuilder | Partial build : nothing to do

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Not sure what sample this is I know that the messages in in sim the console window can be downright misleading or wrong. I found that the package compiled just fine even though the messages said otherwise. If you do have compiled packages then I think you need to copy them into the Package Community Folder before they show in sim. Or do you mean in the developer mode?

Country
unitedstates
I am in developer mode. I did the sampleaerial which is what the error messages I posted came from. I can see the dates have changed on the package files to today's date and time but when I teleport to the location in the sim I don't see the sampleaerial image. Something isn't working. The directions were simple so I don't see where I am making a mistake.

Country
unitedstates
ok so I may have just found the answer. I was building the packages from the main menu screens. This time I went to a random location in the sim and then built the packages again. I still got the same error messages but when I teleported to the location now the aerial sample is showing. It seems to be that you must be inside the sim in an aircraft before it will work? Seems like that would be correct but it wasn't documented so I didn't know.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I think we are all learning. We will need to start documenting some of our findings in the Wiki

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
I also found that sometimes it's better to use the external fspackagetool.exe to create your packages, sometimes the in-game package builder works better. I'm yet to find any consistency in these issues though.

Country
unitedstates
I think we are all learning. We will need to start documenting some of our findings in the Wiki

Ha! That is a fact. I was just interested in following what directions there were to see it work. I learn much more when I can see it happen. I also thought a good first test for my airport would be to import my own aerial image because there is a taxiway that has been added that is not in the sim or the bing maps image they are using in the simulator. So I will need to update the aerial image anyway.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I also found that sometimes it's better to use the external fspackagetool.exe to create your packages, sometimes the in-game package builder works better. I'm yet to find any consistency in these issues though.

Good point Otmar but it does seem counter intuitive to use an external tool to can internal compilers on a project being edited in the sim. Duh, but what do I know. I certainly prefer the output messages from the package tool - they make better sense to me - even if I still can't find a way to send the output to a managed window or file

Country
sweden
I had the same problem building the package for the sample SimpleAircraft SDK example. It's clear that the SDK is not up-to-date with the actual sim and the SDK tooling in the sim since you can't follow the tutorials in the SDK in the release version of MSFS.

Has anyone figured out how to build the package for an aircraft yet?

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
The following screen is the SampleAircraft compiled and package as described in the SDK: It is functional!

My-Manufactured-Aircraft.jpg

For buildings, you have a sample for it.

Country
australia
Some kind of documentation on how you guys achieved success compiling scenery with the fspackagetool would be greatly appreciated. I have done scenery development in X-Plane mostly and my last MFS scenery I dabbled with was a hangar object back in FS9. I have managed to create a custom airport, but building the package from within the project window fails every time. I tried using the fspackagetool but it doesn't seem to do anything; this is likely due to me not knowing what I am doing and just feeling around in the dark.
I run the fspackagetool and as the first parameter I have my xml file location as a path. I didn't add any other parameters as I was hoping that it would just use the default folders of my custom project. So I didn't use -outputdir, -tempdir, -rebuild or -nomirroring.
I pressed enter, and it seemed to be doing something for a minute or so, then it returned to the command line without any notification. Seeing that there were no errors I thought it was mission accomplished, but browsing through my project folders I can't find any new files that could resemble a compiled package, confirming that I have no idea what I am doing.
Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Country
england
ok so I may have just found the answer. I was building the packages from the main menu screens. This time I went to a random location in the sim and then built the packages again. I still got the same error messages but when I teleported to the location now the aerial sample is showing. It seems to be that you must be inside the sim in an aircraft before it will work? Seems like that would be correct but it wasn't documented so I didn't know.

Thank you, this answers the questions I was about to ask!

Country
italy
Good point Otmar but it does seem counter intuitive to use an external tool to can internal compilers on a project being edited in the sim. Duh, but what do I know. I certainly prefer the output messages from the package tool - they make better sense to me - even if I still can't find a way to send the output to a managed window or file

HI
I use the internal tools to create an airport, but for the generation of the package I prefer to use the external tool, basic however to configure the xml file packageDefinitions, this is what setup the compiler.

I have attached an example here.

Now my problem is reading the xml file of the guid, the compiler always fails, not for the version, but the <GLTFData> tag seems to be missing[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• alghero2020-airport.rar
    492 bytes · Views: 217
Country
sweden
The following screen is the SampleAircraft compiled and package as described in the SDK: It is functional!

My-Manufactured-Aircraft.jpg

For buildings, you have a sample for it.

Nice to see that you succeeded. We have the same version of the sim, so it's quite interesting that you can follow the instructions and that they represent the tools in the sim and I can't.

My problems is:
  1. The "Edit Package" window is nowhere to be found as stated in the SDK instructions. I can though find the same functionality in the Inspector window so I think I'm good for now regarding this (even though the SDK needs updating)
  2. Pressing the Build package does run, but generates a couple of error messages:
    Code:
    Failed to find asset group where the command input path is locatedAssetBuilder | Failed to create copy command for base path 'UIRES', to copy file '\airplane.JPG'.
    Check that an asset group contains this path.
    and
    Code:
    Failed to find asset group where the given path is locatedPackageBuilder | Couldn't find asset configuration during partial build for file C:\MSFS SDK\Samples\SimpleAircraft\PACKAGES\MYCOMPANY-SIMPLE-AIRCRAFT\MANIFEST.JSON
    PackageBuilder | Couldn't find asset configuration during partial build for file C:\MSFS SDK\Samples\SimpleAircraft\PACKAGES\MYCOMPANY-SIMPLE-AIRCRAFT\BUSINESS.JSON
  3. The button "Reload aircraft" that is referred to in the SDK doesn't show in my Inspector window

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Frazer,

Where have you purchase your MSFS? Microsoft or Steam ?
If it is a Steam version, Jon (Scruffyduck) has noticed problems with this version.

Each SDK on my PC are installed which MSDOS convention: no blank in the name and if possible a short name (8+3) => Z:\Tools\SDK_MSFS
After tbe SDK installation, I just copy fspackagetool.exe in the SampleAicraft directory and drag and drop the sampleaircraft.xml on it.
After that you shoud be patient because it takes some minutes and you obtain a directory named Package where the aircraft package is stored.
The Content of this Package has beend drag and drop under Community directory and I have seen the new aircraft.

It's all that I have made to compile this example.

Country
italy
I created a simple scenery with only default Objects: a Runway, an hangar, a windsock and an appron...nothing:
PackageBuilder | Reading C:\Users\andrea\Documents\MyFSProjects\depla_LIEM_Bosa\liem.xml...
PackageBuilder | Preparing asset groups...
PackageBuilder | Done, 3 asset groups registered.
PackageBuilder | Generating commands for package pvi-liem...
PackageBuilder | Preparing commands for asset group placeholder-name...
PackageBuilder | Preparing commands for asset group ContentInfo...
PackageBuilder | Ready, 1 commands added.
PackageBuilder | Starting the build...
PackageBuilder | Building assets for the package pvi-liem...
PackageBuilder | Reloading assets for the package pvi-liem...
PackageBuilder | Finished, 1 skipped, 0 done and 0 failed, took 0s004ms.
PackageBuilder | Done, 3 asset groups registered.
PackageBuilder | Couldn't find asset configuration during partial build for file C:\Users\andrea\Documents\MyFSProjects\depla_LIEM_Bosa\PACKAGES\PVI-LIEM\MANIFEST.JSON
PackageBuilder | Partial build : nothing to do

solution?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Are there any special characters in that path that PackageBuilder is not reading? Accent marks, etc.? Make sure that the path contains only simple characters.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Do you have the Windows decimal separator set to the comma? If so, try changing it to the period?

Country
italy
solved the problem... I lost to save the scenery, pushing button saving scenery and pushing button this asset group. Now I have console error but I have my fantasy airstrip..some photos

Attachments

• li10(3).jpg
    li10(3).jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 359
  • li10(2).jpg
    li10(2).jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 328
  • li10(1).jpg
    li10(1).jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 297