• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Unable to convert MCX.dll.issue

Country
czechrepublic
Hi everybody,
so Im trying converting some planes to static as well for our scenery project. I went through the forum and the thing about changing language but in my case it didnt help and Im still getting Unable to convert this model for use with FSX MCX.dll issue error.

What shall I do?

RUnning WIn 7 64bit, FSX.

Thanks

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
SAMM uses a number of ModelConverterX .dlls (included) in the conversion of aircraft models to static models when the "vintage" of the aircraft model differs from the target FS version (e.g., converting a FS9 aircraft for use with FSX, or vice versa). This error message is issued when such conversion, for whatever reason, cannot be accomplished. Generally, if not preceded by some other error message, it means that some characteristic of the aircraft model is very unusual.

If you send me the aircraft folder (I only need a single texture) or a link to the source from which you obtained it, I'll investigate.

Don

Country
czechrepublic
Im not at my PC at the moment. But I was trying to convert any Gulfstream from SKY AI package for example. Will send you the file when I get home if you dont have SKY AI.

Thank you

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Please do. If it's freeware, all I need is a link and the culprit aircraft identified.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I've had a look at the Sky AI site. I have no interest in downloading and installing such packages on my system. Please send me that aircraft folder with a single texture, which should keep the file size reasonable. BTW, I assume you were trying to convert a FS9 aircraft for FSX.

Don

GHD

Country
england
I use Model ConverterX to convert the model to FSX or P3D format.

Country
czechrepublic
Oh so, but Im trying to convert in SAMM. Anyway It doesnt work either with ModelConverterX for me :(

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The current release of SAMM converts that aircraft for FSX for me without difficulty.

Do you have the FSX SDK installed? Are there any other error messages, perhaps advising you of missing files,. prior to the one to which you referred? Have you updated any of the MCX .dlls included with SAMM? Have you tried re-installing SAMM?

Don

Country
czechrepublic
Strange :( Yes I do have SDK installed. Tried to redownload SAMM ans dtill no success. BTW where the MCX.dll file should be located I didnt update it anyhow. Here is my SAMM config file. Maybe theres something to see:

Default Units(Posn) is DDdddd=False
Default Units(Posn) is DDMMmm=False
Default Units(Posn) is DDMMmm=False
Default Units(Alt) is Ft=False
Listings and Tools=False
Last Folder - Scenery Save for FS9=
Last Folder - Scenery Save for FSX=
Last Folder - Scenery Save for PV1=
Last Folder - Scenery Save for PV2=
No Automatic Updates=False
Last Update Checked=
Default Model Posn - Lat=0
Default Model Posn - Lon=0
Default Model Posn - Hdg=0
Dedicated Textures=False
Don't Use "All" Folders=False
Path to MakeMDL=
Path to XToMdl.exe (FSX)=
Path to XToMdl.exe (PV1)=
Path to XToMdl.exe (PV2)=
Warn if FSX Model->FS9 Scenery=True
Use FS9 Global Variables=False
Path to FS9=
Path to FSX=C:\Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Path to PV1=
Path to PV2=
Path to FSX SDK=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK
Path to PV1 SDK=
Path to PV2 SDK=
Path to FSX Compiler=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK\bglcomp.exe
Path to PV1 Compiler=
Path to PV2 Compiler=
Path to ImageTool=
Version Flag for Last Scenery Compile=-1
Aircraft Select=-1

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Perhaps not. I notice you have FSX and the SDK installed on your C: drive. I suspect you've done the same with SAMM. Are you "running as administrator"? Simply having administrator privileges isn't adequate.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Then I don't know what else to suggest. We know the aircraft itself is not the problem because both George and I can convert it without difficulty. That make me suspect it's due to something on your system. But if you are running as administrator, I can't imagine what it might be - assuming SAMM is installed properly and all the supplied .dlls are present in the SAMM folder.

Try doing a basic conversion , i.e., for FS9. Unless there are transparency issues, the static model should still display properly in FSX.

Don

Country
czechrepublic
Where should the magic MCX.dll be? Here is screen of my SAMM folder.

sdd.jpg

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
There is no single "magic MCX.dll". Most of the .dlls in that folder are MCX dlls, i.e., a .dll from MCX (used with Arno's permission). The message you received is that one of them reported an error. But, since the aircraft converts without difficulty for me and your date stamps are the same as mine, I doubt any of them are directly responsible. Rather, I suspect something in your system configuration is preventing them from doing their job. But, since no one else has, to my recollection, reported such an error - certainly not recently - I have no idea what that could be. other than insufficient privileges, which is why I asked about running as administrator.

If anyone else has thought on the matter, please jump in.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I'm surprised. No one else has reported any such difficulty lately. SAMM already handles "," to "." conversion where we know it is necessary. Do you have any idea what aspect of the data needs attention? Did you make any entries including a comma as a decimal separator? If so, do you remember where?

Don