• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Unable to flatten airport properly

Country
austria
Hi gents,

I am totally confused now. I tried for weeks to manage a proper flatten for my project (LOWI). Whatever I am doing I get some weird results:

*I have an aerial photo for the airport. This photo is sliced into tiles with a measure of below 100m each and applied to groundpolys made with the fs2002 gamepack from gmax.
*The flatten command is made with fsX KML - the poly has an altitude of 579m
*The airport itself is located at 579m (checked with both AFX and ADE), same for the reference point.

Everything works ok so far as long as I do not use intersections (taxiways) or surface polygons (tarmac). When I am adding such objects they are significantly above the mentioned 579m and accordingly do not follow the flatten.

What could have been gone wrong?

Any hint is appreciated!

regards

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Gianni,

To be sure I understand you correctly, when you add those aprons and taxiways they appear higher (I assume these are the XML elements). But the rest of your airport is still at the correct altitude (including your custom ground polygons)? Is that correct?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
So I am thinking it might be something with your XML code instead of your flatten then. Which program are you using to make those parts of your scenery?

Country
austria
I loaded the stock airport both in ADE and in AFX and saved them with a new name in the scenery subfolder of the project, the problem remains the same. For the scenery itself (the groundpolys) I am using gmax (fs2002 gamepack).

greetz

Bambi_007

Resource contributor
Country
germany
When I am adding such objects they are significantly above the mentioned 579m and accordingly do not follow the flatten.

How high is the different?

Can you put here your xml in, maybe we have a look.

I take a look in my Witch-Glasses and say your Objects are 579m above the Ground.

Last edited:
Country
austria
The difference between the runway and the apron and the taxiways is about 3 ft. Another thing: as long as I have no intersections the runway seems to be flat. But when I add an intersection (a node linked to the taxiway) a part of the runway becomes higher.

The flatten should be 579m, and all airport objects should be on 579m (as the reference point has this value).

You are meaning the flatten made with fsX KML? Please find it attached.

BTW: Thank you for your response. It is clear that after the release of the FSX-version I will state my gratefulness about the support in this forum in the acknowledgements ;)

greetz

Attachments

• LOWI_aptflat_579_1.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 584

GHD

Country
england
The default height for LOWI in FSX is 579.12 metres. Did you create a an override bgl in Scenery\World\Scenery?

Country
austria
Hi George,

you wrote: The default height for LOWI in FSX is 579.12 metres. Did you create a an override bgl in Scenery\World\Scenery?

no, I did not - never heard about this. How to do that?

greetz

Bambi_007

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I Know this different from FS9.

When I have the flatten I must the airport high downward set.

The flatten and the Airport are not on the same level.

btw. Thank you for your later States in the acknowledgements ;).
The Community say Thank You.

GHD

Country
england
It is normal practice to use the same height as the default, especially if the differernce is small such as 12cm.

However, if you do wish to have the height at 579.0 metres, in ADE, select "Tools/Change Airport Altitude". When you recompile, ADE will place a "stub" airfield in Scenery\World\Scenery which will override the default altitude.

You will also need to define an exclusion polygon to remove the default flatten.

Country
austria
Thanks Golf-HotelDelta,

I will give it a try. In my various attempts I used the default altitude of 579.12m too, but the result was the same.

Do I have to manually shift the mentioned "stub" airfield to the subfolder or will this be managed by ADE itself?

greetz

GHD

Country
england
Do I have to manually shift the mentioned "stub" airfield to the subfolder or will this be managed by ADE itself?
ADE will place the "stub" in Scenery\World\Scenery automatically.

It may be worth looking in that folder to see whether there is already a file present.

BTW. This is the default flatten for LOWI

Country
austria
Sorry to bother you again, but I did not get it. Maybe this post should be located correctly in the ADE-Forum, but I started here so I decided to continue.

*I imported an AFCAD file into ADE9X and used FSX-style. The airport has an altitude of 579,12m exactly like the stock airport
* I made a flatten poly with an altitude of 579,12m
* I made an exclusion polygon to override the default flatten.

no effect...
same problem...

the ADE-file seems to be lower than the flatten, but not everywhere. To give you a feeling I attach a shot.

I am getting crazy....

greetz

Attachments

• flattentroubles.jpg
    flattentroubles.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 520
Last edited: