• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Unable to Import Any Format Except MDL

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, on opening, the initial line is red.

OK, that's what I expected. It seems more versions than the one I'm checking do work. Let me see if I can find the registry information for those other versions as well, so that I can check all of them.

Country
germany
Hi Arno Thanks for your excellent Tool just for your Information
VisualC++
upload_2017-1-28_13-9-4.png

ModelconverterX
upload_2017-1-28_13-10-36.png

I Get This Error

upload_2017-1-28_13-7-30.png

Import Export Seams working.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks for the extra version information. I'll try to update the check this weekend to detect different versions.

Country
germany
If you wish I can do some more Import and Export Tests. Dae Ex-Import works fine

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have updated the code that check if the redistributable is installed again. Hopefully this time it will catch all the different versions. Let me know if you still have issues with tomorrow's build.

Country
germany
Hi,

I have updated the code that check if the redistributable is installed again. Hopefully this time it will catch all the different versions. Let me know if you still have issues with tomorrow's build.

The New Version:
upload_2017-1-29_17-4-13.png

Starts without Error
Thank you
Wolfgang Augsburg Germany

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Happy to hear it seems to work now.

Country
us-michigan
Hello,
Is it possible to include the STEP format as an option
for file importing?

I compliment you, Arno, on such a great resource as MCX is.
I thank you in advance for anything that can be done.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
What kind of format is that and which tools use it? I haven't heard of it before.

Country
us-michigan
The STEP format (preferably version 2.14) is a generic format that can be used between CAD
software such as Blender, UGNX, CATIA, and SolidWorks. It is abbreviated as STP as well.
I am experimenting with CATIA, making models for FSX and can then export them as
.STP files to Rhino3D. Rhino can export as .X files which can ultimately become .MDL with
Model Converter X.

Problem is, my evaluation copy for Rhino3D has expired. I have found a workaround though.
It appears exports from CATIA as .STL files (stereolithography - used for 3D printing) enables
me to import into Blender at 1/2 scale. Then exporting from Blender as .X to MCX.
I guess STL files work fine. Just need to remember to scale it by 1/2.

Again, your work creating MCX is a marvel. Thanks for your efforts!!

-phingerz

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It seems assimp supports some of those formats, so adding them should be easy. Would you have a small sample object I can test with?

Country
us-michigan
It seems assimp supports some of those formats, so adding them should be easy. Would you have a small sample object I can test with?
Arno, thanks for your interest and help. I know that assimp is working on a STEP/IGES tool according
to their website. I have created a hangar building and have it exported in both .STP and .STL formats.
Please refer to the uploaded files and thanks again for asking.

Attachments

• hangar-USCG.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 154

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks, I'll have a look what I can do.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I just tried and adding support to read STL files seems to work quite easily.

With the STP file Assimp crashes, although IFC-STEP is mentioned as supported format for reading. So not sure what happens there, might be something in the file you made or there might be different versions of the format or so.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
STL import will be available in the next development release.

For STP support I have to check with the assimp developers what goes wrong.

I did notice that STL and STP are also support as export formats by assimp, would that be useful as well?

Country
us-michigan
STL import will be available in the next development release.

For STP support I have to check with the assimp developers what goes wrong.

I did notice that STL and STP are also support as export formats by assimp, would that be useful as well?
Thank you for making room for the STL format in the next release. As I review these files again, I wonder if I could lessen the polygon count by simply extracting surfaces and exporting them. The files are originally 3D models having faces the finished item does not need. Maybe this will allow the conversions to run more smoothly. Or even decimating the faces might help. Did you see a scaling issue with the STL files?

As far as exporting those formats from assimp, I personally would not see a use for it. After importing STP or STL into ModelConverterX I would then export as .MDL files or directly as a BGL for use in FSX.