FSXA Unable to make scenery objects visible

Hello guys,

A couple of days ago I downloaded and installed a scenery of Socotra/OYSQ with unexpected results. I didn't see any customised object, and after switching to DX10 preview only blue textured models.



By using MCX I made several attempts to fix this issue but with no success. I even exported the models to an ADE AFCAD, placed them where they should be, converted the textures from DXT1 to DDS format and it only resulted in doubled objects as long as I left the OBJ-file active.

I'm not really experienced in using the Model Converter and probably I misunderstood the hints in Robystars's 'Common Mistakes' contribution. However, any help would be nice.
 

Pyscen

Resource contributor
According to the site... you have to install the lib file first.. you did do so?
 
According to the site... you have to install the lib file first.. you did do so?
Yes I did. I installed it as described with a lower priority. However, the exclusion and the mesh file I put to the main folder as both will work there, too.

EDIT: I think the lib has nothing to do with the results I experienced as it contains objects being used as eye candy somewhere spread over the island. Furthermore I checked the project trees and everything used should be present in the main scenery and texture folders.
 
In DX10 mode FSX uses a file named bkg.bmp, which can be found in the root FSX folder, as a replacement for missing textures. That is what you are showing in your second screenshot.

In DS9 mode, objects with missing textures are invisible.

This leads me to believe you are missing textures for those models, or you have them in the wrong folder.

If you load the file containing those models in MCX you can see the names of the textures those models are calling.

Also, saying you "converted textures from DXT1 to DDS format" is a bit confusing as DXT1 and DDS are two different things. All DXT compressed files are by definition DDS files, regardless of the file extension.

DXT is a form of file compression. FSX recognizes three of the different types of DXT compression. DDS files are image files to be rendered on a Direct Draw Surface (DDS). Even the FS9 "extended bitmaps" with the .bmp extension are really DDS files.

cheers,
Lane
 
All DXT compressed files are by definition DDS files, regardless of the file extension.
Thanks Lane, I didn't know that. That means I actually had changed nothing.
Regarding your other remarks:
I don't believe that the textures are in the wrong folder as it is the usual structure. The bgl for the objects sits in 'scenery' and the textures are in the parallel 'texture' folder. I had let MCX search for missing textures, too and it gave no sign that something is wrong.
 

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
DXT is a form of file compression. FSX recognizes three of the different types of DXT compression. DDS files are image files to be rendered on a Direct Draw Surface (DDS). Even the FS9 "extended bitmaps" with the .bmp extension are really DDS files.
A bit of topic maybe, but that's not completely true. Both the extended bmp files and dds files use dxt compression to store the data. But the extended bmp files are not dds files. E.g. renaming them to dds does not give valid dds files. The extended bmp file have a header that is similar to normal bmp files.
 

=rk=

Resource contributor
Axel, your scenery appears to work as expected. I found the authors file structure to be a bit confusing and I prefer to not have so many "random" layers in the Addon Scenery folder, so I combined the library download into the scenery download folders (and eliminated a redundant library .bgl), stacked all those within a folder called Yemen and activated those various layers from there. Aside from that, everything was as the author intended and the stub still went into the scenery\world\scenery folder.

 
Axel, your scenery appears to work as expected. I found the authors file structure to be a bit confusing and I prefer to not have so many "random" layers in the Addon Scenery folder, so I combined the library download into the scenery download folders (and eliminated a redundant library .bgl), stacked all those within a folder called Yemen and activated those various layers from there. Aside from that, everything was as the author intended and the stub still went into the scenery\world\scenery folder.
Rick, many thanks for your reply. I'll try the same approach now, even if the only difference in my installation had been a separated layer for the library. At least it's a trigger not to give up. I think, I'll come back today (about Zulu reference :)).

EDIT: Hello Rick (and the other helpful guys),
Putting all files together in one single folder system helped indeed. I'm still not sure why, but I don't want to invest even more time in a work done by someone else.

Thank all of you guys and I wish you a fruitful and happy New Year.
 
Last edited:
Top