• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Unhandled Exception -- Type Initializer for Terrain_Sculptor threw an exception

Key

Country
netherlands
OK, yes the About reports 1.2.06(a). I didn't think about checking that before (title bar empty due to the error). Standing-by,

Erik

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Erik, clearly FSUIPC is behaving differently on your laptop than on your desktop system. Can you think of why this is the case? -, different FSUIPC versions installed (main module, not client .dll), different operating systems, different NET Framework, etc.?

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The attached file logs the FSUIPC "responses". Please install it and, when the error occurs, send me (the contents) of the file Log.txt in the TS folder. (Do not attempt to restart TS until you have copied the file; otherwise it will be cleared.)

Don

Attachments

• Terrain Sculptor 1.2.06(b).zip
    128.1 KB · Views: 178

Key

Country
netherlands
Don, the main difference between my two systems as far as OS is concerned is that the desktop is a dual boot machine with a WinXP option still available, but I haven't used that in years. Obviously, the laptop has (in this case) Dell software on it that the desktop doesn't have, where they may have modified some Windows components perhaps.

Both run on Win7 SP1 Pro-64 though, I have .NET 4.6.1 version 4.6.01055 on both. Task manager shows a total of four optimization services for .NET active on both machines, again identical by name and description.
I had a minor difference in FSUIPC.DLL (v3.999z9b on laptop vs. 3.999z8 on desktop) but replacing the laptop one has no effect.

Moreover, TC appears even unable to create the log.txt on my laptop, so something is seriously blocking its functioning there. I tried version 1.2.06(b) on the desktop and that does get the log file.

For my part, we can leave it at this, I'll just work on the desktop with Terrain Sculptor. However, if you want to further dig into it I'll be happy to assist where I can. That's the least I can do for all you provide!

Erik

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Once more with feeling!

I've re-read your initial reports. Given that the log was not written (which means the call to FSUIPC is not even executed), I suspect that the real issue is that the Simconnect.dll is not on your system. (It would not be executed, even if it was.)

So, I have included the Simconnect dll in the attachment as well as a copy of TS modified TS to find it in the TS folder. Please copy both files into your TS folder and try once more.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I'll be interested in the results of you testing the last version I sent. But, I think the attached may contain the real solution. Please delete the simconnect.dll I sent in the earlier archive from your TS folder prior to running the attached.

Don

Attachments

• Terrain Sculptor 1.2.06(d).zip
    128 KB · Views: 249

Key

Country
netherlands
Alas... neither of these two tries brings success either. You are right about Simconnect of course, that is indeed not on the laptop but it is on the desktop. I have a (sleeping) FSX install on the latter, not on the former. Should have mentioned that before I guess..!! But like said, the same old error message keeps popping up with these new versions as well.

Erik

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Very strange indeed. In the case of the "C" version, you (should have) installed the .dll in the TS folder where that version expected to find it - unless there's something about the file that makes it inoperative unless installed in a side-by-side configuration.

TS is unlike ADE and sBuilder, both of which require FSUIPC be installed. TS gives FSUIPC priority but, if not installed, will use SimConnect - for all but FS9 of course. Perhaps I need rethink that approach. But, for the moment, TS won't operate on a FS9-only system.

I'm out of ideas.

Don

Key

Country
netherlands
Me too Don. I just tried the c-version again with the Visual C++ 2005 Redistr. installed on the laptop - it has 'only' the 2008 and 2010 versions normally - as I read somewhere simconnect may depend on that. Bit of a vague description but trying won't hurt I thought. It didn't make a difference either.

I thank you for your time and energy!
Erik

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Last attempt. I have stripped all the SimConnect-related code out of the communications module and placed it in a separate module that is only called if FSUIPC fails to respond, the active FS is not FS9 and the .dll actually exists. So, a FS9-only system should no longer encounter this error - or so the theory goes.

Don

Attachments

• Terrain Sculptor 1206(e).zip
    128.1 KB · Views: 181

Key

Country
netherlands
Hah, that works! :D Perseverance paid off, kudos to you! It now links to FS9 fine, I can move the plane from within TS for instance, and reports FS9 not running if so. Beautiful.

Erik

Country
ca-saskatchewan
I didn't really expect there would be. But, it was worth a try.

Since no one else is reporting such difficulty and I can't reproduce it, I am left to conclude that, whatever the underlying issue, it is a problem within your systems' configurations. Perhaps you have some addon that is interfering.

DOn

I finally solved the problem. It was resolved by wiping FSUIPC completely from the modules folder and installing a new copy from scratch. I believe my licenced copy of FSUIPC became corrupted when I installed an addon aircraft that tried to install the free version. As part of the trouble shooting I previously reinstalled FSUIPC but it was by overwriting the old files. Obviously that did not correct the problem. Lesson learned. The odd thing is that FSUIPC continued to function well enough that I did not notice until I started to have problems with ActiveSky Evolution. The fix for ActiveSky turned out to also fix my problem with Terrain Sculptor.

Greg