• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Unmerge?

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
If something like that was already added please correct me but I'm not aware.

A feature I find necessary is for ACM to unmerge configurations that are no longer found in any active addon.
For example if an end user uninstalled an addon the autogen configurations are no longer needed.
Also as a developer I made mistakes in my configuration and had to change it. Later I saw that ACM had merged it into the main files twice which messed up everything.

My suggestion is the following approach:
There is a reset function (e.g. a button in a control panel or via command so a scenery uninstaller can call it).
The reset function overwrites the autogen files with a backup made when ACM was installed. Then the merge will be done to everything that's still there.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have thought about this before, but I feel unmerge is quite tricky. Because if you do it wrong other addons might be broken as well. That's why currently it's not implemented.

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Of course the safety of not breaking anything should be at a higher priority. There is especially a risk if changes are made through software other than ACM, e. g. the files simply replaced by ORBX addons.
Maybe there's a way to take this into account :scratchch

Maybe it is possible to track the actual disapprearance of a configuration or entire files and remove the according entries?

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
I'm also struggling with a similar issue. My idea was to send out updates to my autogen files via an updater that ACM would then automatically merge into the users files, but now I realize that things may not get updated because of pre-existing definitions. Example: updated groupings with new models will not get updated if the name/GUID of the group already exists in the file.
It seems the file would need to be "cleaned" first, but, as Arno says, how this is done could be tricky.
Perhaps if the original autogen files could remain unchanged and we could simply add the new definitions at every runtime, and then remove them when done. That way updates to 3rd party files never cause conflicts.
But then would that would require continuous restarting of the sim?... :confused:
Perhaps I may have to try to program a cleaning tool for my definitions, although I've been trying to avoid that and stick with ACM.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Are those groupings custom for your scenery? In that case updating the autogen configuration in your local autogen folder should do the trick.

The only problem would be when another scenery with the old definitions is present, that could give conflict. So if you use the same definitions in multiple products all have to update at the same time.