• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Upside down dds images in FSX

Country
england
Hi,

My head is fried at the moment, so I'd like to ask a solution to my problem, if you don't mind.

I'm working purely with existing dds files, not bmp ones.

I convert straight from the X file in ModelConvertor, and it places the object ( BGL file) in the scenery directory of fsx.

The model appears OK, except the dds images are upside down.

Arno, Is there an Option in Model Convertor that can solve my problem, or is there a work around, other than
to convert the dds files to bmp files, then during the convert and place option, of ModelConvertor, the bmps will
be re-switched=over to dds and flipped.

In a nut shell, how does Model Converter handle X files that list dds only bitmaps ? Thanks.

Any help on a simple solution to this would be greatly appreciated.

I've lots of success putting stuff in Flight Sim X, but have come back to it after a long lay off, and I'm really rusty.

Many thanks,

Max

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Hi Max,
What format were your textures in before you imported the X file into MCX? If you created the DDS textures and didn't let MCX do it, then you need to vertically flip your textures manually. A simple fix would be to pull your texture into DXTBMP, send it to an editor of your choice, flip it, save it, refresh the image in DXTBMP, then save it as a DDS again. Just note you may loose a little quality this way, depending on which compression algorithm you use.

To avoid this, you can alternatively take your original texture, (before converting to DDS) import it into an editor, flip it, save it, import into DXTBMP, then save as a DXT5 DDS file.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Max,

MCX should also show them upside down in that case, it renders like FS. It's on the wishlist to allow flipping from inside MCX. For now just flip them in your graphics tool.

Country
england
Hi Max,

MCX should also show them upside down in that case, it renders like FS. It's on the wishlist to allow flipping from inside MCX. For now just flip them in your graphics tool.

Thanks Arno.
I think I'll batch convert the dds to bmp, then use your MCX to go straight from X file to BGL with the convert and position tool.
I have faith in ModelConverter, so I'll adapt to suit it, rather than expecting it, to adapt to me.

Max

Country
england
Hi Max,
What format were your textures in before you imported the X file into MCX? If you created the DDS textures and didn't let MCX do it, then you need to vertically flip your textures manually. A simple fix would be to pull your texture into DXTBMP, send it to an editor of your choice, flip it, save it, refresh the image in DXTBMP, then save it as a DDS again. Just note you may loose a little quality this way, depending on which compression algorithm you use.

To avoid this, you can alternatively take your original texture, (before converting to DDS) import it into an editor, flip it, save it, import into DXTBMP, then save as a DXT5 DDS file.

Thanks Chris. I've downloaded the DXT Bmp software.
I was wondering, would scenery work better in FSX, regarding Frame rates, if I use MIPs ? Are they to be recommended?
I know the theory of them , but in practical terms should I bother?

Regards,
Max

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Thanks Chris. I've downloaded the DXT Bmp software.
I was wondering, would scenery work better in FSX, regarding Frame rates, if I use MIPs ? Are they to be recommended?
I know the theory of them , but in practical terms should I bother?

Regards,
Max

Hi Max.
In most cases you will want to use MIPs. Since MIPs are smaller versions of your texture (contained within your texture file) this allows for objects at a distance to be rendered faster, as the smaller texture can be pulled from the cache much faster. Another good reason to use MIPs is because loading a full-sized texture at a distance can cause flickering. The only downside I can think of is that textures with MIPs will use slightly more memory, but IMO the trade-off is worth it.

Country
england
Hi Max,

Hi Christopher and Arno,

I bought a batch file flipper on-line, and it works great. Everything looking good now in the sim.

Thanks for both of your help.

Max