• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

User Library

Country
ca-ontario
Is the default Object Library for scenery valid??

Hi Gary,

I can't really tell you where to find them, you might want to look at the big FS sites and Stevo (for this forum) has also made a few libraries of cars etc.

But I can answer the question of how to load them into ObPlacer XML. You will need to have a XML source file that defines the library. Sometimes the designer has included his XML source, then you can use that. Else you might have to decompile the library BGL file to get a XML source file. The disadvantage of this, is that you loose the names of the objects, so it is harder to recognise the objects.

For future versions I hope to add a feature that can read the BGL files directly, I am now testing these techniques in MDL Tweaker II.

Hello there,

First of all I must say I'm still learning about developing scenery so if this does not make sense please bear with me until I acquire a little more experience.
Can someone explain why the default "OBJECT LIBRARY FILE" in FS9 & FSX, refers to numerous scenery files and GUID's that apparently do not exist or work when compiled from an XML file?

As an example, I did a complete search for several default scenery files and only found a few that actually had default bitmap textures in the appropriate scenery folder. These files displayed with no problems when compiled. Most did not. As an example, the following object is listed: VEH_air_bagcart2 with it's associated GUID: 545a2a611d2e2ec1000849c2ae60c5a ; but it's texture bmp is no where to be found in any folders of FS9. I think this is why some scenery would not display at the proper coordinates, (I'm assuming it's GUID is still valid).

So then, what is the Object File Library used for if most of the objects are either non existent or invalid? On the other hand, If I'm assuming or doing something wrong, (and I probably am!), I would love to know what I may be doing wrong. Your suggestions are appreciated!

Cheers,
Mark.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Mark,

First of all the list that comes with the SDKs is not correct. It also lists objects that were in previous versions of FS or that are geo-graphically locked, so that you can not place them freely everywhere in the world.

I don't really understand your texture problem. The textures of the object do not have the same name as the GUID or so. So unless you looked into the binary code of the default library to see which textures each object uses, you can't say that right away.

Country
ca-ontario
Default Object Library for FS9 and FSX

Thanks for your reply Arno. Much appreciated!:)

I'm going to see if I can find an object library on the web that someone may have put together to show all the object files which actually work. It seems to always be hit and miss with the files provided in FS9 and FSX SDK's. It is very time consuming when trying to build scenes using this technique with the default scenery.

Cheers,

Mark.