• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Using custom shoreline textures SBuilderX

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I was wanting to use custom shoreline textures in SBuilderX for my Vancouver Island project. So I did a quick test with Saturna Island and used the default FSX Shorelines Generic Ocean and the compiled bgl was 4.0KB in size and worked just fine in FSX.

Next up was using a custom shoreline from a popular payware package (just for testing purposes mind you) and the compiled bgl was only 56 bytes and didn't work at all in FSX. Working with the Shp2Vec tool directly I noticed an error was generated. I went back to the default shoreline and compiled then looked in the Tools\Shapes folder and changed the GUID in the .dbf file with a hex editor, then used the Shp2Vec tool directly. The file compiled fine and in FSX the coastline looked just as good as it did in the payware package I purloined it from.

Note that I modified the terrain.cfg in the FSX folder and the lines.txt in the SBuilderX\Tools folder to accommodate the custom texture, but although I was able to select and assign the custom texture in SBuilderX the program couldn't generate a valid .dbf file for the Shp2Vec tool.

Is the only way to work with custom textures in SBuilderX involve manually editing the .dbf file?

HolgerSandmann

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hi Mike,

adding the proper custom entries to lines.txt and the terrain.cfg is all that's required so one of the two must contain an error.

Note that some of the lines.txt parameters are case sensitive (e.g., "Guid" vs. "guid"). Also, examining the output file in TMFViewer.exe might give additional hints of what went wrong.

Cheers, Holger

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Many thanks, Holger! :D

You were right about the line.txt parameters being case sensitive and your little example was exactly what I did wrong. I had taken the guid line directly from the terrain.cfg which used a different case.