using library objects from different airports/cities

Hi,

Using Fsx KML, I have tried placing library objects originally meant for one city in different cities or airports without sucess. Example: If a library object designed for default FSX in Airport "A" is placed in Airport "B", it doesn't appear. However, I can move library objects from Airport "A" anywhere within "A" without any problems and it appears just fine.

Anyone else notice this or have any idea why that is?

Also, does anyone know of a good program to get a visual of the generic/library objects before placing them?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

This is known behaviour of library objects. Some libraries are "locked" which means that the objects can only be placed around their original location. The more generic libraries are usually not locked.

If a library is locked, you can't do much about it without hacking the default files. So there is no easy solution for this problem. If you are making your only library, make sure to not mix the ModelData and placement commands in the same XML file, as that will result in a locked library.

You can move any Library Object to any part of the world. I have been doing this since the early days of FS9.

This does not require anything special except using the correct model.mdl in your XML and then coping the companion textures from one folder to the other.

I have many library objects from different parts of the world in my Kai Tak 98 upload which help me create a more realistic default Kai Tak airport.

Once you have the correct model.mdl nesting in your new XML make sure you copy the associated textures to the Texture folder of your new scenery.

Example would be to move the Empire State building to Hong Kong. The Empire State building model.mdl and Textures are in the New York City bgl files. If you find the correct model.mdl and list it in your XML then you must also find the companion building Texture and copy them into your sister texture folder.

If you look at my KATL (Atlanta, GA) for FS9 you will see the new International Terminal Building is actually a Terminal that I took from Japan and placed in Atlanta. That particular terminal matches the one that KATL is planning to build.

In both FS9 and FSX there is a folder called Generic/Global with a companion Texture folder. If you look at the textures in this folder these are not Region specific and will show up any where in the world when using the proper model.mdl in your XML.

It is not a requirement but I specify in my readme to place my XML bgl in the Global\Scenery folder which has the model.mdl's I need and the associated building (Library object) textures into the Global\Texture folder.

Now when FS9/FSX loads on startup it places the Object Library copied from one part of the world into my airport scenery based on the Lat/Lon specified.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Jim,

Not sure if I fully understand you, but I am not sure if I agree this is a good approach.

If you are decompiling default BGL files and using these MDL files in other BGL, I think that is a bad idea. Especially for FsX this is a bad idea as the GUID is inside the MDL now, which means that multiple BGL files can provide the object with the same GUID.

As long as MDL objects are placed in a library, without any XML placement done in the same file, they can be called from anywhere in the world. Without having to make multiple copies of the same MDL file (this is the idea behind an object library :)). You just need to make sure that the library is loaded before you try to call objects from it. That is why tools like Rwy12 have their libraries installed in a folder that is usually put on a lower priority in the scenery library.

Of course I know that some of the default objects are geo-locked. Any solution to this would require you to either recompile the default library or use the MDL in another library. Both of which I would not happily do, as I don't want to distribute default files I have "hacked". I think we should just accept that some objects are geo-locked and that we might have to make our own models if there is no acceptable default one available.

Thanks Arno for the explaination

I am going to look at my technique a little closer. I have not uploaded any thing yet for FSX default airports that require a replacement of a Library object. I have always been an advocate to maintain the integrety of a MS default file and not use as a upload after a hack.

With all the default Global GUID's that shipped with FSX (unlike FS9) I have not had to move anything from one side the world to the other.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Jim,

My reply was not really meant "against" you, I am sure you understand the implications. But I have seen people doing rather weird things with objects libraries, especially after EZ-Scenery released. Like putting objects in another library with another GUID, just to organize their harddisk a bit. That is what I am trying to prevent whenever I can, as it will make a mess out of all the GUIDs :).

For FsX, I still think that some of the default objects are geo-locked, although I have not fully tested it. The positive things is that in the SDK MS has now mentioned this problem. Although I guess the best option would be to make all objects available anywhere (I guess that might have a performance penalty as well).