• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Using ModelConverterX to convert FS9 Models to P3D v4

Country
brazil
Hi! Sorry to wake up this old thread but I'm having problems with converting MDL8 models to P3D v4. For me the propellers work with Prop0_blurred but the thing is that the landing gear doesn't, the rudder turns into opposite direction which way I'll turn it. By the way the plane is ATR 72-500 for FSX (freeware). You'll find it out by doing a quick Google search.
So could someone of you please assist me? I'm pretty new to doing stuff like this but I'm a quick learner. :)
By the way I read that the Auto assigning of animations could help in this situation but I don't know where do I select it to be in use.
Thanks in advance!
Try
Code:
<scale>-1</scale>
on modeldef

Country
finland
@MarcosSilva88 Okay, thanks for the reply, I will try that. But where in the modeldef.xml I will put/change that entry? There are many entries like that already. Will I add a new entry?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
You would probably want to make things as easy as possible and post any links, if someone needed to refer to your specific ATR. For the landing gear, you need to find the animation tags and change those to ones the P3D compiler recognizes. For the rudder you can export the model as .x format and open the .xanim file in notepad. This is the rudder animation for a recent FS2004 to P3D conversion I completed, I added color for clarity:

<Anim name="rudder_percent_key" guid="5433b2a0-0fd9-4192-8f7d-0ba36bf7191d" length="200.000" type="Sim" typeParam="AutoPlay" typeParam2="rudder_percent_key">
<AnimStream name="Rotation" id="0" partName="node155" length="100.000">
<Keyframe time="0.000" type="Quaternion" data="0.000000;0.000000;0.707107;-0.707107"/>
<Keyframe time="25.000" type="Quaternion" data="0.000000;0.000000;0.3535535;-0.8535535"/>
<Keyframe time="50.000" type="Quaternion" data="0.000000;0.000000;0.000000;1.000000"/>
<Keyframe time="75.000" type="Quaternion" data="0.000000;0.000000;0.3535535;0.8535535"/>
<Keyframe time="100.000" type="Quaternion" data="0.000000;0.000000;0.707107;0.707107"/>
</AnimStream>

It should be pretty easy to tell that the blue numbers represent both ends of travel, the negative value in the upper string implies that they are opposite terminations. The yellow numbers are intermediary and the red number represents the center of travel. Reversing the minus signs should reverse the animation, but it may be required to actually transpose number strings to flip the animation, the thing you want to look for are symmetric numeric reversals, you want to bear in mind that there is left/right, up/down and forward/back, it is easy to get confused and reverse the wrong axis. There is no harm in selecting a pair, reversing them and compiling, to visually inspect the result.

Country
brazil
Code:
<PartInfo>
    <Name>rudder_percent_key</Name>
    <AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
    <Animation>
      <Parameter>
        <Sim>
          <Variable>RUDDER DEFLECTION</Variable>
          <scale>-1</scale>
          <Units>percent</Units>
          <Bias>50</Bias>
        </Sim>
      </Parameter>
    </Animation>
  </PartInfo>
The -1 scale will make the animation run backwards

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
The thing about editing the modeldef.xml is that there can be only one rudder_percent_key, so if there are any animations that run properly, this animation tag will make them run backwards. Editing the modeldef.xml on a per use basis, depending on which way whichever animation is running, is probably less practical than simply editing the .xanim file, imo.

Country
finland
Okay. Thanks for both of you. I'll see what happens after adding that entry. By the way I even didn't know which animation tag to use so I used the one that didn't have the "_key" in the end (for the rudder). That might also been the cause of it.

Also the propeller thing is... well it works but it rotates a bit oddly. For some time it turns normally but sometimes it looks like it's turning backwards and then it's not turning at all after that it'll continue turning normally again.
Would you have a suggestion for that as well as it doesn't look very nice? I've got an P3D v4 compatible propeller aircraft and that doesn't have any problems with the propeller so I'm pretty sure it's conversion related again.
Maybe I could check what animation tag the v4 compatible aircraft has and then use the same tag in this ATR?

Country
brazil
sometimes the animation movements are too fast in the simulator, can be a math error.
XML:
        <Sim>
          <Variable>RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT</Variable>
          <scale>-1</scale>
          <Units>percent</Units>
          <Bias>50</Bias>
        </Sim>
look how the variable has the PCT operator two times, one in the <variable> other on <units>.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
By the way I even didn't know which animation tag to use so I used the one that didn't have the "_key" in the end (for the rudder). That might also been the cause of it.

Also the propeller thing is... well it works but it rotates a bit oddly. For some time it turns normally but sometimes it looks like it's turning backwards and then it's not turning at all after that it'll continue turning normally again.
Would you have a suggestion for that as well as it doesn't look very nice? I've got an P3D v4 compatible propeller aircraft and that doesn't have any problems with the propeller so I'm pretty sure it's conversion related again.
Maybe I could check what animation tag the v4 compatible aircraft has and then use the same tag in this ATR?

Animation tags will not change how an animation performs, they can not make an animation "reverse," for example. Animation tags insure that when an event for "prop0_slow" is called, the animation that corresponds to prop0_slow plays.
Also it sounds like you've done something odd with your propeller, I do not believe you have accessed any of the other visibility conditions yet. Here is an image of the ATR in MCX with the visibility condition linked to prop blurred displayed:

vcw56nz.jpg

This artist has included, still, slow and blurred prop states in a single texture, which could make it tricky to extract each visibility state for the prop, however I believe it is still possible, but this is your quest to discover.

This thread discusses a technique for reversing rudder animation using the .xanim file, by reversing a different parameter than the one I suggested, this developer suggested reversing the keyframe markers, which worked quite well for him.
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/reversing-animations.440984/post-780708

This thread discusses visibility conditions, propeller states and has a relatively valid tutorial by me about extracting propeller states from a fs2004 model.
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fs2004-aircraft-propeller-states.439521/#post-792124

Last edited:
Country
finland
@=rk= Okay, thanks for the good reply. Yeah I actually thought the same as you about the site but they had good addons so that's why I decided to get the ATR from there.
Also after you said that there might be things that are really hard to find out I might just be better of going with an AI model that is already P3D v4 compatible. But I'll try first doing like you said but if it really needs all sorts of stuff to be made then I might just go with the AI model or build my own. :)

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Pure AI:
==[ Aerospatiale ]==
- ATR 42-300 | Oskari Syynimaa (OSP) | osp_atr_42_300_base.zip (FS9 only) / osp_atr_42_300x_base.zip (FSX only) | Download FS9 AI aircraft model / FSX AI aircraft model
- ATR 42-400 | Oskari Syynimaa (OSP) | osp_atr_42_400_base.zip (FS9 only) / osp_atr_42_400x_base.zip (FSX only) | Download FS9 AI aircraft model / FSX AI aircraft model
- ATR 42-500 | Oskari Syynimaa (OSP) | osp_atr_42_500_base.zip (FS9 only) / osp_atr_42_500x_base.zip (FSX only) | Download FS9 AI aircraft model / FSX AI aircraft model

- ATR 72-200 | Oskari Syynimaa (OSP) | osp_atr_72_200_base.zip | Download AI Base Model
- ATR 72-210 | Oskari Syynimaa (OSP) | osp_atr_72_210_base.zip | Download AI aircraft model
- ATR 72-500 | Oskari Syynimaa (OSP) | osp_atr_72_500_base.zip | Download AI aircraft model
http://www.skycolors.com/ai_aircraft_models_list_fsx_fs2004.htm

Country
brazil
rikoooo it's a lier, indeed. I downloaded "supposed" fixed P3Dv3 version of the PAD Falcon 7x, and I got very disappointed

Country
malaysia
hi, recently start using p3dv4, having issue converting some freeware ATR, manage to fix on prop issue, but having issue on animation, i don't know how to describe it in English, below is link to video that i upload to Youtube.
Youtube