• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

UV map and exported dae/obj files not showing textures in MCX from Blender

Country
us-louisiana
All of a sudden my UV maps aren't working. I am making simple building models in Blender and exporting them to dae or obj files. When open the exported file in MCX and add the textures in PS they don't show on the model. I, as far as I know, am not doing anything differently than before. I am using 2.83. I went back to 2.79 to see if it was something I had changed in 2.83. Nope, same same in both versions. I even did a simple cube. Use the smart unwrap, exported them. In PS I drew numbers on the UV map for each face. Nothing shows on the cube after applying the UV/Numbers to the cube.

Any one have an idea why?

Thanks,

John

I have attached the cube and UV map that didn't work for me.

Attachments

• Cube2.zip
    56.4 KB · Views: 108

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...
Not sure what you mean by not working, can you explain more? Have you exported it as an Mdl file?

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I'm getting this :
2020-06-29 07_35_59-Window.png

Other than being below the surface - it appears fine to me. I did have to place the texture in the diffuse slot though.... so I'm not sure what isn't working.. was the texture suppose to be on the cube on export?

Country
us-louisiana
Dang it Doug! I get a plain box. No numbers. ???? I don't know if I should be happy or not. :)

Please try this object. It is one of the buildings with which I am having trouble.

Attachments

• Dupre Library.zip
    77.3 KB · Views: 102

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

Unfortunately, as I stated, the box and (now) the building is requiring me to place the texture in the designated slot. For troubleshooting such a problem, I think it would be best that the blend file will be necessary...

It appears that what is happening is during export. Are you sure you are saving after the UV unwrap with the texture on the model? and at the time of export, what export options are you activating at the time?
2020-06-29 08_57_07-Window.png

Could it be that you are not selecting the model at the time of export?

Last edited:
Country
us-louisiana
Sorry to have taken so much time to get back. My wife and I went on a road/hiking trip today and I just returned.

From what I read, I think the problem is on my end, due to a lack of knowledge and not knowing what the hell I am doing. I do not recognize the Operator Presets dialog you posted. So, I don't know what I am exporting. My procedure has always been to save the blend file as I build. When finished, I unwrap using the UV and either accept the layout, or I will move some of the faces/islands to group them together. Afterwards I export the UV as a png through Blender. I then export the item as a Collada.

I drag the dae file into MCX to open. Using PS I open the png UV files and create the textures. Usually, I start with the numbers, so I can identify the faces and their orientation. This is then applied to the Diffuse slot and it shows up on the model in MCX. It has always worked before and now it doesn't. I am afraid I know too little of Blender to troubleshoot much. I must have somehow changed something in Blender to cause it to not work? I do not understand, however, how both 2.79 and 2.83 can both be doing the same thing?

I just discovered (this morning) Bill Womach's tutorial series. I plan on watching each video. Hopefully, afterward i will know more of what I am doing, or trying to do. Right now I am flying in the clouds with no chart or GPS and with my instruments out. You are ATC trying to locate me by triangulating off my mike keying.

I have attached two blend files of the same object. Neither worked.

Attachments

• Dupre Library.zip
    315.9 KB · Views: 107

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Sorry to have taken so much time to get back. My wife and I went on a road/hiking trip today and I just returned.

My procedure has always been to save the blend file as I build. When finished, I unwrap using the UV and either accept the layout, or I will move some of the faces/islands to group them together. Afterwards I export the UV as a png through Blender. I then export the item as a Collada.

I drag the dae file into MCX to open. Using PS I open the png UV files and create the textures. Usually, I start with the numbers, so I can identify the faces and their orientation. This is then applied to the Diffuse slot and it shows up on the model in MCX. It has always worked before and now it doesn't. I am afraid I know too little of Blender to troubleshoot much. I must have somehow changed something in Blender to cause it to not work? I do not understand, however, how both 2.79 and 2.83 can both be doing the same thing?

OK...

Just so I can clarify, so you are creating in Blender (model and UV layout). Exporting both, the model in .dae format and the UV layout to a png. So, you aren't expecting the textures to be already with the model? At least not until you put it into the proper slot while in MCX. The texture (being the UV layout that you exported) is being painted etc. through PS Is this correct so far?

IF this is correct then that what I was doing with the cube and building... placing the texture in their designated slot while using MCX. (Which you saw with the box.)

Let me suggest to you, try using the SmartUV Project. It will give you a nicer UV to work with outside of Blender. Also, I would suggest as to not move vertices of the islands (islands are the sections of, etc.) but move the island around (you can even rotate them). This will also keep the size of proportioned. Another pointer... before I forget... I suggest you delete the bottom faces. This will help with the size of the other faces or islands too.

Country
us-louisiana
Doug, You are correct in your understanding of my process. I am sure there are easier and better ways of doing it, but I don't know them. I will work with Blender to see why the texture didn't show on this end.

I just saw on Bill's video the suggestion to delete the underside of the building. I just didn't UV them. But in the future I will remove them.

John