• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE Vapor Effect Turns Invisible On Converted FSX Model - Draw Order?

Country
us-michigan
Hello everyone!

I spent the weekend finally digging into MCX and learning how to update an older model (the KO F-16 Viper for FS2002/2004) to FSX-native. Mostly I wanted to do this to change the weapons loadout by deleting a modelpart. Despite many hiccups, that has been successful (thanks in large part to many helpful posts here) and I now have an FSX MDL with proper animations, loadout, and textures.

Once I started flying it, I noticed that the wing vapor effect (a light effect triggered by a gauge) has some problems only on the converted model. When the vapor is on, panning the spot view around finds MANY angles where the aircraft is drawn over the effect as you can see in the screenshots. The original FS2004 models (such as the D model) do not have this problem and the vapor shows correctly at any angle.

Anyone know what is going on and how to keep the effect visible?

One troubleshooting step I tried is to raise the effect well above the aircraft (like 10 feet above it) and that seemed to keep it visible at all times but obviously that is not a solution. I considered this a sign that maybe the effect coordinate being inside the aircraft skin could be causing the problem, so I worked on modifying the effect with a built in offset that allows me to move the light coordinate outside of the skin. This is not fully done but it did not appear promising so far.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1575295280531.jpg
    FB_IMG_1575295280531.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 101
  • FB_IMG_1575295285279.jpg
    FB_IMG_1575295285279.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 116