• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Vector Polys

Country
germany
I've been plugging away at reading the Terrain and scenery SDK but I'm still not understanding how we're supposed to change the Vector polys (ie: the roads and highways). I've read how you can specify that some have cars on them and you can add or subtract the number of lanes also. I know how to view them in TMFViewer(or whatever it's called) but not how to manipulate them. Is the SDK not complete? Does anyone know how to do this yet?

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Skydvdan1.

The Terrain SDK provides a tool called Shp2Vec.exe

This tool does everything for vector scenery, by translating Esri Shape files into BGLs.

The vector examples included with the Beta3 SDK have 2 folders.

Example1 is an entire cvx#### file build, including all the shapefiles used to create it.
Example2 is an example of how to add onto an already created cvx### file. That example is perhaps of the most interest, as most of us will make minor corrections to the default vector files.

Unless you have GIS tools that allow you to create and edit shape files, you won't be able to create vector scenery for FSX.

The Shp2Vec is a simple tool to use:

>Shp2Vec path quad -flags

Shp2Vec . myaddon -addtocells

The above would compile all shapefiles in the current folder "." that have the root name "myaddon" and add them to the current scenery, rather than destroying the underlying scenery ( that destruction covers, I believe the underlying LOD11 "cell" ).

If I have files typed as EXXmyaddon, HPXmyaddon and HLXmyaddon in the current folder ( "." ), then the exclusions, hydropolys and the shorelines will be added to the currently loaded sceneries.

There certainly will be scenery tools developed soon that will simplify the creation and editing of vectors in the new style. But for now, a GIS application is needed to create the shapefiles. Do you have such an application?

Dick

Country
germany
Hi Skydvdan1.

The Terrain SDK provides a tool called Shp2Vec.exe

This tool does everything for vector scenery, by translating Esri Shape files into BGLs.

The vector examples included with the Beta3 SDK have 2 folders.

Example1 is an entire cvx#### file build, including all the shapefiles used to create it.
Example2 is an example of how to add onto an already created cvx### file. That example is perhaps of the most interest, as most of us will make minor corrections to the default vector files.

Unless you have GIS tools that allow you to create and edit shape files, you won't be able to create vector scenery for FSX.

The Shp2Vec is a simple tool to use:

>Shp2Vec path quad -flags

Shp2Vec . myaddon -addtocells

The above would compile all shapefiles in the current folder "." that have the root name "myaddon" and add them to the current scenery, rather than destroying the underlying scenery ( that destruction covers, I believe the underlying LOD11 "cell" ).

If I have files typed as EXXmyaddon, HPXmyaddon and HLXmyaddon in the current folder ( "." ), then the exclusions, hydropolys and the shorelines will be added to the currently loaded sceneries.

There certainly will be scenery tools developed soon that will simplify the creation and editing of vectors in the new style. But for now, a GIS application is needed to create the shapefiles. Do you have such an application?

Dick

I don't even know what application that would be. I just need to adjust the path of a vectored highway to match a photoreal scenery. What would I need to do this?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Skydvdan1.

As I stated above, you'd need to use a GIS program to make replacement lines.

Over the next few weeks/months there will be other programs that will be developed that will easily do what you wish.

Also, the final Gold version of FSX is expected to have backward compatibility with FS9 VTP... so you could use Sbuilder or Ground2K to make your replacement lines ( if that is true ).

But for now, if you are not familiar with GIS applications ( or have one ) then the learning curve will be quite steep. Unless you are willing to invest dozens ( hundreds? ) of hours in learning to use GIS data and programs, you're better off waiting a bit for new versions of SBuilder or the project starting at this website ( AFCADX ? ).

Sorry, but that is the current state of terrain design in FSX.

Dick

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
or the project starting at this website ( AFCADX ? ).

Working name is Scenery Design Suite X (SDSX) and the draft description can be seen in the Tools Programming forum. As things stand Mesh, land class etc are in Phase II of this project. Having said that the plan is to design the program in such as way that additional functionality can be provided by different developers via dll plug ins.

Country
germany
Working name is Scenery Design Suite X (SDSX) and the draft description can be seen in the Tools Programming forum. As things stand Mesh, land class etc are in Phase II of this project. Having said that the plan is to design the program in such as way that additional functionality can be provided by different developers via dll plug ins.

This project sounds very exciting. I'll definitely follow it's development. Though I can't contribute in the coding or probably the development I'll try to find another way.

Country
netherlands
What Dan wrote:

This project sounds very exciting. I'll definitely follow it's development. Though I can't contribute in the coding or probably the development I'll try to find another way.

What I read:
This project sounds very exciting. I'll definitely follow it's development. I can't contribute in the coding or probably the development but I'll offer to write all the documentation.
:D

Country
us-washington
Hi Skydvdan1.
Also, the final Gold version of FSX is expected to have backward compatibility with FS9 VTP... so you could use Sbuilder or Ground2K to make your replacement lines ( if that is true ).
Dick

I don't believe the VTP method will accommodate vehicle traffic.

-Doug

Country
france
hi all,

one thing is strange in vectors exclusions :

I've created some exclusions areas (freewaytrafficroads and shorelines) and it works correctly.

I've then created some new freewaytrafficroads ans shorelines vectors to replace fs default, but if the bgl is in the same directory than the exclusions bgl it does not work !

I've tried to put exclusions and new vectors in the same bgl and it's the same, even I compile with the -ADDTOCELLS parameter !

for freeways, if I put the bgl in another directory declared on top, it's ok, but this method does not work with shorelines ! really strange !

I'd like to put all my vectors in the same bgl or in 2 separate bgls, but I need to put all of them in the same scenery directory ! any idea ?

thanks,

laurent

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Laurent.

No one has been given the definative answer to datastream priority for FSX terrain.

FSX was designed to have all your vector terrain elements in the same BGL... not spread over 2-20 separate BGL files. FSX was also designed to use the new vector BGLs... the backwards compatibility for FS9 elements was a very late addition... so AVOID LWM and VTP!

So here's what I would recommend: combine your shapefiles into their types ( FLX, EXX, etc ). Then place them in the same directory and let shp2vec sort it out. That is how MS did it, and that is how it should work. ( And use -addtocells for all your compilations, unless you are replacing an entire default FSX file ).

This way of working is quite contrary to FS9, where several BGLs and even folders were necessary. Then we just had to name them properly, and all was well.

You may need to search a bit for a program that will combine shapefiles for you, but it must be done.

Having 6 different flatten and exclude BGLs is not the preferred way of doing things for FSX, and probably will lead to priority issues just like you are experiencing. There is no "guru" to sort these out, because the Aces team has given us a tool to combine and sort the vectors in shp2vec... we just need to conform to their style by combining all our flattens into a single FLX shapefile (* for example ).

To make a long post short, all your terrain additions need to be in a single BGL, compiled with -addtocells option, in order to assure the correct priority of elements.

EDITED--

Hi Laurent.

It's occured to me that I may not be telling you anything you didn't already know, and may be just adding to your frustration. At this point, I think you'd need to include your source data, and decribe what you expect from it, in order to sort out the problem. SHP2VEC has worked for me as expected, and I'm a bit surprised you are having problems.

Dick

Last edited:
Country
us-washington
Interesting. Example 2 in the Terrain SDK results in an airport background in the same cvx file as an exclusion to remove the default background. Works just fine.

Is the problem you are experiencing unique to freeway traffic or does it happen in the case of all vector types?

Something else to consider is that exclusions only apply to scenery that is lower in priority than the scenery containing the exclusion.

-Doug

hi all,

one thing is strange in vectors exclusions :

I've created some exclusions areas (freewaytrafficroads and shorelines) and it works correctly.

I've then created some new freewaytrafficroads ans shorelines vectors to replace fs default, but if the bgl is in the same directory than the exclusions bgl it does not work !

I've tried to put exclusions and new vectors in the same bgl and it's the same, even I compile with the -ADDTOCELLS parameter !

for freeways, if I put the bgl in another directory declared on top, it's ok, but this method does not work with shorelines ! really strange !

I'd like to put all my vectors in the same bgl or in 2 separate bgls, but I need to put all of them in the same scenery directory ! any idea ?

thanks,

laurent

Country
france
thanks for reply :)

I've tried all in the same bgl, containing freewaytraffic exclusion and new one and the new one doest not work, but the exclusion still excludes fs default traffic. I'm sure I'll find :)

for lwm I'll update it soon to vector shapefiles, but the programm I use does not allow to set the waterpolys altitude, and I think it will be 0 by default, that is not correct for lakes. so I'll create a small converter from fs2004 asm source code to bln I think it should be the easier way...