• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Video Card Advice

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi all.

I could use some recommendations/advice on a new video card. I am forced to admit my current one has had its time and is no longer up to spec. It is an NVidia GeForce GTX 660. I am not looking for a high end replacement but rather something up to date that I can pop into my desktop as a 'plug and play' replacement. Preferably NVidia if only because that is what I have always had. I don't want to have to update the PSU to accommodate it but I do want it to work with the latest DirectX etc. Needs to at least work with the current set of sims - I don't fly any more but need to view the sims when testing ADE and my other tools.

As you probably can guess I am a complete waste of space when it comes to hardware. Took me a week to get the courage up to replace a dodgy hard drive

Many thanks in advance

Country
israel
What PSU you have? How much PCI-E power connectors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Well that is where things start to go wrong ;) The PSU is 550W from the tower spec. Not sure what a PCI E Power connector is but I want to drop the replacement into the same footprint using the same connectors as the original. Budget $150 but could stretch to $200. I think a main things is the card needs to be minimum of Direct3D feature level: 12_0 and the 660 is 11_0

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
"Dont fix it, if it is not broken", but how many screens do you want to use?

Fair comment :) but I definitely need minimum of Direct3D feature level: 12_0 and the 660 is11_0 so working or not it won't work for me any more :( I have one monitor only and won't want more

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The main features would be ability to run DirectX 12 games and enough video memory for P3D 4+. Your existing 660 should have a PCI-E power connector plugged into it, so that would plug into a new card. I’d be surprised if a 550W supply was inadequate for the job, I have the same size and it barely raises a sweat with a GTX1050 ti card. What Dos Equis needs might be another story.

Have a look at a GTX1650 4gb card?

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I also found power consumption figures for that card, and it’s no more - or possibly less - than your 660.

Country
canada
Agree with hairyspin. But the 1650 card is slightly lower on some specs. But probably not an issue.

the 660

the 1650

note the power requirements of the 1650 is 300w while the 660 was 450w. There is no sup power connector either.

Your display connector?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
display connector? I wanted you I am a dummy with this stuff

Country
canada
What kind of monitor do you have? What connector does it use? DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA, DVI? You may need an adaptor.

Also more research I see that the 660 was suppose to be able to do DX12. Maybe, you need to update to Windows 10?

DX card versions

edit:

Never Mind - seems a controversy on DX12 for 6XX series and lower

Ronald

Resource contributor
Q: What is the make and model of your motherboard inside which your new graphics-card is going to he plugged?
I do not read any data about this important and perhaps limiting issue, the foundation of your new GPU?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
VGA I think - a multi pin connector.

The problem appears to be the entry in bold

Operating System: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit v 1909
DirectX version: 12.0
GPU processor: GeForce GTX 660
Driver version: 441.66
Driver Type: DCH
Direct3D API version: 12
Direct3D feature level: 11_0
CUDA Cores: 960
Core clock: 993 MHz
Memory data rate: 6.01 Gbps
Memory interface: 192-bit
Memory bandwidth: 144.19 GB/s
Total available graphics memory: 10209 MB
Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB GDDR5
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 8161 MB
Video BIOS version: 80.06.58.00.12
IRQ: Not used
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen3
Device ID: 10DE 11C0 128119DA

This is the entire spec of the machine at the time of purchase:

Zalman Z3 Plus Gaming Case with Fan Controller - Black
Intel Core i5 4670K Haswell Processor 3.40 GHz (No Overclocking)
Xigmatek Gaia Quiet CPU Cooler
Generic thermal paste
Asus Z87-K Motherboard - Haswell CPU only
16GB Corsair/Crucial PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 8GB sticks)
Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2048MB Graphics Card (DX11 capable)
120GB Samsung 840 EVO Solid State Drive
1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps
24x SATA DVD+/-RW Drive
Corsair Value Series VS550W PSU
Onboard High Definition Audio
300Mbps 802.11n Wireless PCIe Adaptor (for Wireless networks)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Standard Chillblast Cable Management
5 Year Warranty with 2 Years Collect and Return
21.5" AOC E2250SWDNK WIDE LED MONITOR
Logitech Cordless Keyboard and Mouse

The only thing changed is the Hard Disk which went awol.

Edit - and the OS which is Win 10 Home 64bit version 1909

Last edited:
Country
canada
I love going shopping for computer parts!!

Here is some more info on cards. - the 1650 seems to be a good choice.

More card choices

edit:

1584369186248.png

VGA is on right, DVI is on left.

1584369437739.png

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country