• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Video Tutorial Series for Creating Scenery with Blender

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
I'm struggling with this right now as I am learning substance painter. I have some door trim to put on the outside edges of my door. You said you are "painting grid lines" on a new layer. Is this a texture that you made with perfect grid lines or are you actually painting straight lines where you want your objects to go? I have some 2D doors I want to paint on my faces and the door trim but as was mentioned there is no straight line tool so I am struggling to figure out how you did this.

I'm just drawing straight lines on a new layer.

Country
austria
Hey there,

i'm watching your series at the moment - and it does really help, i'm trying ground polys at the moment and ran into a little problem - how do i delete the selected face ?
It's not part of the runway/taxiway but is created as soon as i merge the vertices around it - and i can't get it deleted ?

I've tried using the knife tool - but that seems a little too clumsy for me as of course i wanna preserve some kind of curve.

Any idea there, or, how do you handle these "holes" in your ground poly ?

Thank you

Attachments

• rfI0I.png
    rfI0I.png
    218.2 KB · Views: 250

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
The only way you'll get those inadvertently is if you're trying to fill all the faces at once. It's a good practice to select all the verts for a single segment and fill them, then move on to the next. I don't know if that makes much sense. I never have the issue you're showing because of that.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Those are wonderful VDO. I am a long time user of Gmax/3dsmax. I was wondering if it is better to move to Blender.

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Those are wonderful VDO. I am a long time user of Gmax/3dsmax. I was wondering if it is better to move to Blender.

Absolutely! 3DSMax is a fine tool, so if you don't mind the high cost, it works great. Blender is easily its equal when it comes to sim design, though. And it's massively more advanced than Gmax.

Country
us-texas
Bill, do these techniques still work in the later versions of Blender? Blender support and focus seems to have drifted away from P3D since you shared these videos.

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Bill, do these techniques still work in the later versions of Blender? Blender support and focus seems to have drifted away from P3D since you shared these videos.
Oh, for sure. I've built several airports in Blender 2.9x. The differences are mostly in the Blender interface, but all the techniques still work.

Country
us-texas
Oh, for sure. I've built several airports in Blender 2.9x. The differences are mostly in the Blender interface, but all the techniques still work.
Hi Bill,

Thank you for your reply. The P3D/FSX plugin hasn't been updated recently, but I suppose that works too?

Your videos are greatly appreciated.

Also, what happened to KDAL?

Take care.

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Hi Bill,

Thank you for your reply. The P3D/FSX plugin hasn't been updated recently, but I suppose that works too?

Your videos are greatly appreciated.

Also, what happened to KDAL?

Take care.
The current exporter for Blender seems to work great, so that should be no problem.

As for KDAL, it's in an advanced state of development. We were waiting for a good 737 for MSFS before releasing, but now that PMDG has targeted this summer for theirs, we're moving ahead on completing it. There are a lot of moving parts and market forces involved in release timing.

Country
us-texas
The current exporter for Blender seems to work great, so that should be no problem.

As for KDAL, it's in an advanced state of development. We were waiting for a good 737 for MSFS before releasing, but now that PMDG has targeted this summer for theirs, we're moving ahead on completing it. There are a lot of moving parts and market forces involved in release timing.
Thank you for the quick reply. Does this mean you are targeting MSFS for the scenery, or will you target P3D as well?

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for putting this tutorial together. I've watched the first several videos and it is very helpful. Once question: I'm developing for MSFS (and this will be my first scenery/blender project) so I'm wondering if the Scenery Builder X / Model Converter X is still the way to go to produce background images and figure out the scaling? I was able to install Scenery Builder X and get it to start without having FSX on my machine, but View.Show Background was grayed out, so I couldn't use it. If this is still the way to go for MSFS development, then I'll spend some time trying to figure out how to get it working, but I didn't want to go down that road if it would ultimately result in a dead end. I did check out the Blender GIS addon, but it didn't seem to be auto-generating buildings of the correct size...

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Thanks for putting this tutorial together. I've watched the first several videos and it is very helpful. Once question: I'm developing for MSFS (and this will be my first scenery/blender project) so I'm wondering if the Scenery Builder X / Model Converter X is still the way to go to produce background images and figure out the scaling? I was able to install Scenery Builder X and get it to start without having FSX on my machine, but View.Show Background was grayed out, so I couldn't use it. If this is still the way to go for MSFS development, then I'll spend some time trying to figure out how to get it working, but I didn't want to go down that road if it would ultimately result in a dead end. I did check out the Blender GIS addon, but it didn't seem to be auto-generating buildings of the correct size...
Could it be that you don't have a tile server set up in your SceneryBuilderX settings? You'll need to choose one in order to show background images.

Country
us-texas
Bill, I need a quality scenery for KDAL. What is the status of your scenery?

Can I help you finish it? I may just start one from scratch, but that's easily a 6 month + project for me by myself.

David

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
Bill, I need a quality scenery for KDAL. What is the status of your scenery?

Can I help you finish it? I may just start one from scratch, but that's easily a 6 month + project for me by myself.

David
It's looking good. Got downtown Dallas inserted into MSFS and it looks really nice. All the modeling for KDAL is done, and about half the texturing. We're just beavering away on that now, trying to get it looking as good as possible. Man, things look beautiful in MSFS.