FS2004 VTP scenery from kml

mendiola_loyola

Resource contributor
Dear All:

Is there a way to create VTP, VTP2 and LWM polygons from kml files generated from google earth.

I have FSX vector scenery created from shapefile using kml polygons, but i want to create FS2004 scenery too.

Does Groun2k allow me to import LAT, LON data to generate VTP and LWM scenery?

Thanks.
Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
Lima, Perú

Hi Alfredo:

I had suggested some possibilities for porting KML and FSX data to FS9 in this thread: :idea:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16245&highlight=GaryGB

FSX-KML does have a "view XML" mode that can be copied and pasted into NotePad, then saved with an XML file extension for further processing by various utilities.

Coordinate sets of Lon,Lat,Elevation (X,Y,Z) can be copied out of an XML file and pasted into another NotePad file for use in creating a simple *.BLN (Golden Surfer Blanking File).

A BLN file can also just contain Lon,Lat (X,Y) data without the 3rd elevation field on each line.

The BLN file is merely the above ASCII XYZ data with a preceding header line consisting of a numeral for the total number of XYZ lines in the file, followed by a comma.

For polygons: one must "close the circle" by making the last XYZ line a duplicate copy of the first XYZ line.

For Poly Lines: one need not "close the circle" by making the last XYZ line a duplicate copy of the first XYZ line.

The resulting BLN can then be "appended" to SBuilder 2.x (for FS9) to create various FS scenery components.

I believe that SBuilder can also append or import "Polish MP" files which contain more fields and can thereby store more parameters for scenery data to be processed by SBuilder.

Regarding Ground2K4: "I believe Dick Ludowise and/or Edgar Knobloch may be familiar with the data storage structure of the (*.LWM ?) project files used by Ground2K, such that one may be able to create a conversion algorithm to import ASCII data for further processing to assign output attributes etc."

Until such time as we learn more about this from Dick or Edgar, you could take a look at some of your G2K4 project files to see if you can interpret any of the file format with either NotePad or a Hex viewer.

It generally seems that most folks have moved away from use of G2K4 to instead use SBuilder and Scenery Design Engine (in Scruffy Duck's Library Object Manager aka LOM for FS9) for their FS9 scenery creation activities.

FYI: Scruffyduck now has a port of his Airport Design Engine (ADE) that works with FS9, and which may include some vector data scenery creation ability.

And for other FS9 scenery components, I believe George Davison may have created a utility that can generate Autogen annotations (?) for either or both FS9 and FSX ...from KML data; perhaps George might comment on this ? :rolleyes:

Hope these ideas might help ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited: