• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Want to make a runway

Country
panama
I have made many " runways" with different lengths and textures but I am never satisfied. Do you know what would be the best way using FSDS 3.5 for FSX?. I want to use them in many places by just dropping them over flat surfaces....:confused:

Country
panama
Hi,
Can you explain why you are not satisfied?

Hi Jean-Pierre.
The main problem is the "texture" I place on top, most of the time comes out "Stretched" to the point that it really looks bad. If I make it in small sections it is better but then placing them together becomes a real problem....

Country
spain
Hi Solid, in Gmax exist the tiling function, the textures are tiled along the axis you want . or divide the plane in many parts and apply the same texture to every segmented plane though this method don't know how can be the output.

Country
ca-quebec
Hum, FSDS is not the better tool to make runways... And, unfortunatly, textures are not my specialty...
You said that the texture is streched when applied on the runway. Thats probably normal because FSDS use an image that looks normal in the texture file and applied it to a very long object.

Why not compressing texture in texture file in place? Make a 10000 pixels runway texture that look normal and resize it to fit in a 1024 pixels texture file... in the final runway the texture always strech but look normal.

EDIT : the tiling function also exist in FSDS if the pattern is continuous. But for numbers, marking, tire traces etc. I dont know.

Last edited:
Country
spain
not for markings, etc, indeed, this have to be done with other layers or lofting method. for lines marking etc, or the segmented plane in many parts so you can assign the textures individually but as said above don't know if the output would be correct.

Country
southafrica
Gera it can be done in FSDS,here is some pics.

To make the bgl you need Arnos ModelConverterX to get the layes right.

I think 3DMAX is a better tool for groundpolys.

Frits
http://www.triengtrieng.webs.com/

Attachments

• Poly_1.jpg
    Poly_1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 510
  • Poly_2.jpg
    Poly_2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 549
Country
us-washington
yes- 3dsmax- of course.....if you have the money to buy it.

the 1,000 pixels ideas is very good.
Take a pic in Google Earth as close as you can get and still be a sharp image. Maybe take two pics.

Use these to make your textures with.

Will have to tile your rwy.

i would also take a full length pic .... make it a bmp and use as a backdrop in FSDS.

make sure you know the length of the rwy.

install this as backdrop in topo down pane. Scale according to length of rwy.

Now- make as many tiels as need to look good and not streched to match the backdrop.

stick a fork in ya... you're done. a beer and pretzels please. :) Bob

Country
us-washington
place runway question

I have made many " runways" with different lengths and textures but I am never satisfied. Do you know what would be the best way using FSDS 3.5 for FSX?. I want to use them in many places by just dropping them over flat surfaces....:confused:

Is it possible there are runway scenery objects in the default library of fs9 or fsx that can be placed using the SDK scenery placement tool? It seems I have seen a runway object while searching through the object library for other things. Maybe I was seeing a delusion. Dan Culver

Country
us-washington
I think I have seen that too, but they are fairly generic.

There are things you can do to rough up the edges to look more realistic, but I understand that can be a bit involoved. A friend showed me how he did it in Gmax. Looked good but very involved. Interesting, however. Not sure if it is all worth it.

Other than that too add stuff to rwys you might try making black smudge marks as you see fit to look like tire marks (done in your photoshop or psp then alpha channel this with dxtbmp or photoshop, etc, turn this into a dxt5 or dds- your choice. Should should now be a texture sheet with an alpha channel (see-thru). (will see black marks only.) Use FSDS 3.5 to place this on top of your rwy here and there. Try what I described above. it ain't perfect, but according to my screenshot ... it isn't half bad.

other programs that handle ground poly a bit better would be better to use, perhaps. but this seemed to work for me. Give it a try. Bob

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I use Airport Design Editor (ADE) to make terrain landable - usually with MegasceneryEarth providing the "runway" image, typically a bush landing strip. You have to create a "real" FSX airport object to do this to satisfy ADE. After that add an Airport Background with Flatten attribute. You can slope the background if you wish. You can create all kinds of fancy runways etc. and perhaps export them (no idea if that is possible) as BGL? Not sure what the original post was getting at but perhaps this helped.