Wanting to learn how to use the Autogen Annotator Tool.

I downloaded the demo's of Instant Scenery and Instant Object and the don't show up on FSX. Maybe I should just fly and not design :(

IIRC, The demo of Instant Scenery only operates within 50 miles of ICAO KSEA.

"The free demo version offers the full functionality of Instant Scenery within a 50NM radius of the Seattle-Tacoma Intl. airport for up to 30 days."

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=iscen3

Also, if you have re-started FSX after having used Instant Scenery to create a scenery library object placement BGL, one must re-launch Instant Scenery and "Open" the BGL you created so that it can be displayed; FSX refreshes the flight session and the placement should then be visible.

Don't worry, there is a way to remove a BGL from that control over display after it has been created by Instant Scenery.

Do you have a scenery library object placement BGL that you have created with Instant Scenery which you would like me take a look at ?

If so, attach it here (inside a ZIP file).

GaryGB

Last edited:
At the moment I just want on of the demo's to work. When installing them it said something about a dll that is missing in FSX. I have no "Add-On" on the FSX screen.

OK, lets be sure that the required DLL for Instant Scenery is 'enabled' in FSX (the installer sometimes fails with this).

This is configured via the DLL.XML file, typically found in:

C:\users\[active user profile name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\ sub-folder

Open that DLL.XML file in NotePad++

Find the entry for Instant Scenery and edit it to read this way:

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Instant Scenery</Name>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Instant Scenery 3\InstantSceneryFSX.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

...then save as a *.XML file type, and re-start FSX.

Run FSX in "Windowed" (aka NOT "Full Screen") mode as you may have to see and click a pop-up dialog to acknowledge the DEMO mode and its limitations before proceeding to use Instant Scenery DEMO in FSX.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Our posts crossed out of sequence on the server, so my path did not match what you used when you installed Instant Scenery 3 (aka "IS3") because I had not yet seen those screenshots. :alert:

Open the 'active' DLL.XML file at the path cited above, in NotePad++

Copy the entry below for Instant Scenery and paste it:

* below the entry for Instant Object Studio

...and

* above the entry for Object Placement Tool

...so it reads this way:

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Instant Object Studio</Name>
<Path>C:\Users\betty\Documents\Instant_Object_Demo\InstantObjectStudioFSX.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Path>C:\Users\betty\Documents\Instant_Scenery_Demo\1\InstantSceneryFSX.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

...then save as a *.XML file type, and re-start FSX to see if I interpreted your 'path' correctly from your screenshots.

[EDITED]

Let me know how this worked for you.

If it did not, and I am unavailable online here for the first part of the evening, don't despair, as we will still have a few more things we could do later tonight or over the weekend, which should get you up and running in the IS3 Demo. :)

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited:
Like so?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Instant Object Studio</Name>
<Path>C:\Users\betty\Documents\Instant_Object_Demo\InstantObjectStudioFSX.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Path>C:\Users\betty\Documents\Instant_Scenery_Demo\1\InstantSceneryFSX.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
<Disabled>True</Disabled>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<Disabled>True</Disabled>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

AFAIK, that should be correct assuming the paths match those actually used on your computer.

Save that as a *.XML file type, and re-start FSX to see if we interpreted your 'paths' correctly. ;)

If that does not work, you should un-install the Instant Scenery Demo via:

Windows Start Button > Programs > Flight One Software > Instant Scenery Demo > Uninstall Instant Scenery Demo

Then re-install the Instant Scenery Demo.

If that doesn't work, you may have to:

1.) Inspect the [Trusted] section of your 'active' FSX.Cfg file and remove any leftover entries related to Instant Scenery Demo

2.) Un-install, then re-install Instant Scenery Demo again.

Let me know how this works for you. :pushpin:

GaryGB