• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

WebSimSocket - external gauges using same code as embedded in VC

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
WebSimSocket is another component from WebSimConnect HTML5 based framework for FSX/P3D/X-Plane.

It allows to synchronize HTML5 WebSimGauges embedded in VC with the external browser rendering the same content. The main embodiment of WebSimSocket is to have a replicated VC gauge on the external device like tablet or smartphone without the need to duplicate the coding. Whatever is in the Virtual Cockpit built with WebSimGauge can be easily "ported" to tablet or any device supported with modern HTML browsing app.

Please watch the video to see what I mean:

It supports FSX/P3D and X-Plane 10

Many thanks to Sim Skunk Works for letting me use in the DEMO their gauges of upcoming Tornado aircraft. What they did is a masterpiece. More info on the aircraft you'll find here:

Cheers,

Marcin

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
2015-11-18_13-56-39-377.jpg
I'd like to show a screen shot to back up what Marcin said. First note the frame rate is 40 with 40 max selected.
This is from an hour long test flight I did on the Beta SSW Tornado. It was all, except take-off and landing, carried out in the Terrain follow mode with ride on hard and minimum clearance at 200 ft agl.
The only control input was bank to follow the planned route.
In the picture the Tornado has just crossed a ridge, the ground has dropped and the aircraft is in a 0.5 g bunt back to low level.
The Map shows PP by the center circle and is 500,000 scale. To the left of the HUD panel there is a forward looking radar showing terrain and radar shadow.
The map and radar use real elevation data processed externally with output displayed in the VC. The HUD is also generated externally.
Flight dynamics and handling characteristics, by yours truly, match the Manual at all altitudes, speeds and wing sweep angle.
The big plus from using this technique is enhanced display capability at no frame rate impact.
Roy

Last edited:
Country
hungary
Really cool. Regards the WebSimconnect framework: is it possible to interface it with FS9 somehow?

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
Thanks Roy

Indeed FPS impact is limited, thanks to RedPanda well designed gauges using WebGL. In FSX which is not well optimised for multi-core and powerful GPU, the impact is almost nothing. For P3D the gain is smaller, however still significant compared to classic C++ gauges.

What is also worth mentioning is the VAS usage. As P3D 3.0 is still not 64bit app, even though LM optimised a lot memory management, VAS might still be an issue once you load a lot of HD stuff in the SIM and fly a long way. These gauges, even though they render map and radar content that is not a standard FSX/P3D content, they do not consume VAS at all !!! (or just a little to load the binaries ;))

BTW, if I am not mistaken (I am not following all the creative developments in FSX/P3D) the MAP and RADAR using custom textures in this Tornado are unique solutions in the Sim world thanks to creativity of SSW RedPanda designers !!!

Really cool. Regards the WebSimconnect framework: is it possible to interface it with FS9 somehow?

Most probably it is possible as I am binding into classic PANEL SERVICE of FSX which I guess has not changed that much compared to FS9.

The problem is I have already 3 sim platforms + 2 OS (Win, Mac) x 32 & 64 and maintaining it all gives me a headache. Adding another sim platform, which is for me a bit "old-fashioned" so to say would make it even worse, however I never say never. If you have a concrete project in mind, I might make an effort providing I could install FS9 on my dev W10 machine ...

regards

Marcin

Country
hungary
Most probably it is possible as I am binding into classic PANEL SERVICE of FSX which I guess has not changed that much compared to FS9.

The problem is I have already 3 sim platforms + 2 OS (Win, Mac) x 32 & 64 and maintaining it all gives me a headache. Adding another sim platform, which is for me a bit "old-fashioned" so to say would make it even worse, however I never say never. If you have a concrete project in mind, I might make an effort providing I could install FS9 on my dev W10 machine ...

regards

Marcin

Thank you for the quick answer Marcin, that sounds great, and you are really kind, but i just wanted to know if it works or not, i don't have any exact plans atm :)