• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

weird elevation in water near MMAA

Country
us-texas
Hi,

Just spent the day making flattens, excludes, water polys and the like to try to tackle this issue near MMAA.

MMAA_problem_sm.png

Any pointers on what that cause might be or what I can do to attempt a repair?

Thanks.

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Indeed, there may be a number of CVX*.bgls in the Pacific Ocean off Acapulco International MMAA with anomalies.

The fix can be rather laborious and time-consuming, so I'd recommend instead buying / using Flight1 Ultimate Terrain:

Ultimate Terrain X Tropical America and Caribbean V2

https://www.flight1.com/products.asp?vid=flt1sf&pid=utxtap2

Ultimate Terrain X USA V2 FSX and P3D

https://www.flight1.com/products.asp?vid=flt1sf&pid=utxtap2

PS: If you want to manually troubleshoot these areas, you need to post Geographic A/C coordinates to ID the BGLs.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
Hello Gary,

I own this - https://secure.simmarket.com/pilots-fsg-fs-global-ultimate-ng-2020-prepar3d-v4-and-v5.phtml

would that do the same job?

However, I would also like to explore learning more about this myself - I got a great education in shp2vec while working on this.

The body of water is called "Laguna de Tres Pablos" and a good reference lat/lon would be this: 16.786296672062303, -99.74722112027764

Do you see the same anomalies on your end?

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

The product you cite above is terrain mesh BGLs compiled via SDK Resample.

Laguna de Tres Pablos is a lake that can be substituted by accurate payware, freeware, or your own custom CVX vector BGLs.

Water is rendered from CVX vector BGLs compiled via SDK SHP2VEC.

After decompiling pertinent CVX BGLs with CvxExtractor and exporting SHP files, if Appended to SBuilderX, the SHPs can be edited and re-compiled to BGL

Laguna de Tres Pablos is defined by CVX vector polygons within a FSX / P3D Area QMID-11 quad inside this BGL:

[FSX or P3D install path]\Scenery\0203\scenery\cvx2126.bgl

You may wish to take a look at these threads to see the general work-flow involved:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/change-the-polygon-elevation-in-the-_cvx-bgl.446626/

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...ects-in-sbuilderx-for-katl.444877/post-817582

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-coastline-from-default-stock-airport.447909/

If you are already familiar with SBuilderX:

After exporting ESRI SHP files, Append FLX*, HL*, and HP* .SHP files to SBuilder and edit those Polygons to match the Satellite imagery background.

Otherwise, let me know what you need more help with, and I will try to post the steps required to fix this later today. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
Hi Gary,

Thanks. The product cured the mesh problem, which means that some aspects of default mesh still have problems.

I've been working with QGIS to make the shapefiles and I have successfully created my own hand-traced version of Laguna de Tres Pablos. However, I am learning that I need to exclude shorelines and/or get better at understanding each GUID to know what to exclude and what to inject. I am also learning more about what the -ADDOTCELLS option does in terms of SHP2VEC's output.

I suspect the FS Pilots has probably done all of the dirty work, but I also see that the flaws in SRTM are steadily being improved.

My motivation is as much to develop some of these things myself and I've used this information as a guide: https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/sdk/world/terrain/terrain_overview.html

Thank you for looking at my problem and providing mesh as the possible culprit.

Jeff

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Jeff:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread (some recent real life matters required my undivided attention).

Indeed, Pilot's has made some good contributions to the FS Community via its "cleaned / enhanced" SRTM data sets for FS terrain mesh.

I do not know how extensive and complete the corrections are for water bodies in the recent Pilot's terrain mesh products, as I have historically used Allen Kreisman's / Scenery Solution's Ultimate Terrain products c/o Flight1 ...for FS9 and FSX / P3D, which provide "vector" data for water bodies and other land class type terrain objects.

If prepared properly, vector data for water bodies can be merged into elevation source data for terrain mesh BGLs to correct / assign Altitude for water bodies, allowing for elimination of (some) vertex point density from CVX vector BGL data sets, so that lakes (end even oceans / seas) are correctly displayed as continuous flat / level Altitudes (A)MSL.

Because FS' data sets are still somewhat older and international vector data sets for water body data are still a work-in-progress, ACES / L-M still render water bodies from CVX vector BGLs to allow exclusion and correction / modification.

You may be aware that CVX vector object TINs with assigned elevations (ex: level / sloped flattens) can over-ride instructions from a terrain mesh BGL

Certainly your methods via direct use of SDK SHP2VEC would be a detailed learning experience, as that was all we had initially with FSX RTM.

Personally, I later began using FSX_KML, SBuilderX, ADE etc, in conjunction with Global Mapper as my GIS app ...to generate my CVX vector content.

IIUC, you are now aware of certain CVX vector ID criteria which apply to one's choice of GUID that must be used for FSX / P3D terrain object excludes.

FYI: SBuilderX, Global Mapper, and QGIS allow assigning proper clock-wise / counter-clock-wise "winding direction" of nested land class polygon vertices / holes for FS vector water bodies / shorelines etc.

Good luck with your projects. :)

GaryGB

Last edited: