What controls the looping of sound?

What is it that controls whether a sound file (wav) is looped or not in the sim? Is it controlled by a variable in the sound.cfg or other editable code, or is it related to something within the compiled model? Is there a difference between FSX and Prepar3D v2.*?

n4gix

Resource contributor
Everything in the default sound system of FSX/P3D is essentially hard-coded into the platform software. The sound.cfg file allows one to edit volume, sound file names, and some other basic parameters, but "looping" is hard-wired into the sim's logic.

Many thanks for your reply Bill.

Do you know if it is possible for a non-looped sound in an FSX native model to be erroneously interpreted as a looped sound by P3D?

Many thanks for your reply Bill.

Do you know if it is possible for a non-looped sound in an FSX native model to be erroneously interpreted as a looped sound by P3D?
It all depends on how the sound is set-up. Any sound done through the .cfg file will either loop or not depending on its status ie. engine or brakes.
If the sound is triggered from an xml gauge which requires Doug Dawson's dsd_xml_sound.gau then it can be looped or not depending on the programmer's needs.

You haven't said what kind of sound is causing the problem.

It is a flap motor sound (heard every time a flap is deployed or retracted) on both the Flying Stations Buccaneer S1 and S2 for FSX in P3D. It sounds like the sound file used is the FLAPS.WAV in the main Sound folder (not the aircraft's own sound folder). The sound.cfg don't point to any specific file (the entry is blank). When lowering (or raising) the flaps the sound is read repeatedly (i.e. looped), unless you taxi the aircraft away, in which case the sound recedes, as if stuck in space. I'm hoping for a solution to fix this.

It is a flap motor sound (heard every time a flap is deployed or retracted) on both the Flying Stations Buccaneer S1 and S2 for FSX in P3D. It sounds like the sound file used is the FLAPS.WAV in the main Sound folder (not the aircraft's own sound folder). The sound.cfg don't point to any specific file (the entry is blank). When lowering (or raising) the flaps the sound is read repeatedly (i.e. looped), unless you taxi the aircraft away, in which case the sound recedes, as if stuck in space. I'm hoping for a solution to fix this.
You should have something like this in your sound.cfg file similar to this
Code:
[FLAPS]
filename=c4wind4
minimum_volume=10000
The file (in my case c4wind4.wav) is in the sim's main sound folder. It can also be in the same folder as the aircraft's sound folder. Seems to me you may have a duplication or the sound is incorrectly configured.