• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA What coulor is invisible ?

Country
netherlands
Thank you all

Thanks for all the idears. I have enouhg idears now to go solve the problem, I think !
Thanks for all your help.

Bram Stikkel

Country
unitedstates
And MCX, as MCX allows some added functions that ADE does not (such as spectral and night textures.)
Both tools should be learned by all beginning-moderate designers.

I'm confused. Model Converter X and Airport Design Editor complement each other. They don't try to do the same things, but it is true that both are essential as are a number of other applications.

Art

Country
unitedstates
I'm confused. Model Converter X and Airport Design Editor complement each other. They don't try to do the same things, but it is true that both are essential as are a number of other applications.

Art

but alas, they do have some similar functions, covering the question for which it was recommended. converting and placing objects for one. adding FX, coord convertion. All of these can also be done outside of both programs, with simple xml code and the compilers.

They are not essential, but they sure do make this easier :)
All that is essential is listed in the SDK's, anything outside of that (ADE, MCX,FSDS, etc) are icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Country
puertorico
They are not essential, but they sure do make this easier :)
All that is essential is listed in the SDK's, anything outside of that (ADE, MCX,FSDS, etc) are icing on the cake.

Slight correction - FSDS is a modellling program -for flightsim - like gmax - that produces an output that is then processed with the SDKs. Other programs are icing on the cake.

Country
unitedstates
Slight correction - FSDS is a modellling program -for flightsim - like gmax - that produces an output that is then processed with the SDKs. Other programs are icing on the cake.

But FSDS did not come with FS, GMAX was available.

ADE is a modelling program (not 3d, but surface) -for flightsim - I was refering to what is required, FSDS and ADE, MCX, and similar progs was/is not required for FS. At what point do we draw the line for icing you ask, or a necessity?

All aftermarket tools are icing. Sbuilder is necessary or icing? Its icing as its not required and is aftermarket.
The SDK was written for GMAX use, and xml, scasm stuff, but not FSDS or ADE or AFCAD 2.21 or Sbuilder. So FSDS and others are icing as it came as a result of FS.

So the correction is really in the method of classification, not meant to argue, to each their own :)

Last edited:
Country
us-washington
I might be late and not understand the full problem but here goes- First Farfy is right on. Let me have a stab at this- (and maybe I am missing the pint here)

1. take your grass texture to dxtbmp
2. menu on top... choose create alpha template
3. message appears... hit ok
4. clcik on little icon upper right.. send to editor hope you have phtoshop or PSP or GIMP, etc.
5. paint everything you want to show.... white.
6.paint everything you DON'T want to show..... black
7. save and close your paint program
8. back in dxtbmp now- click little icon upper right - refresh after edit.
9. Save - dxt1 or 5. (I like 1 because it show up green in FSDS... reminds me that I did the alpha correctly. hehehe)
10. In FSDS make your poly and then right click in any pane and choose current part properties.
11. choose material
12. type in the word trans where your cursor is blinking. Do NOT choose any color!
13. Now- go get you texture you just did with an alpha and put it on your poly as you see fit.
14. create mdl and save. for purposes here let's call this grasspatch.mdl. [NO NEED TO DRAG AND DROIP OVER XTOMDL .EXE IF YOU HAVE FSDS CONFIGED RIGHT THIS IS ALREADY SET.] Farfy says to do a bgl first to test it. good idea. Do it if you wish.
15. make sure your texture of this grass is in your scenery texture folder.
16. add this mdl to your library whether it is IS2 library maker or ADE.
17. start FSX and go place it and have a look-see.
Should be ok.
18. If there is a draw problem like we see in trees from FS9 then go to MCX, open your library and fix it accordingly - I assume you know how. If not- ask.
As I said maybe I misread this thread and I'm way off base. If not hope this helps. Test on Friday- open book allowed. :)

Bob

Country
netherlands
Thanks

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your step by step explaination.
In the meantime I have come further indeed, but still thank you for the effort you took to help me.

By the way, about creating an alphachannel for the invisible parts of the texture. My version of DXTbmp has an option to autocreate the alpha channel (see attachment) From your reply I understood, you create them manually, which ofcours is also possible.

Have fun creating, God did so too ;-)
Thanks again !
Bram Stikkel

Attachments

• auto alpha in dtxbmp.png
    auto alpha in dtxbmp.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 393
Country
us-washington
Been around a long time. - create alpha channel black or green. True. I have good luck messing with my PSP. Sometimes you can even smudge around the edges to hide some hard to reach spots.

Country
us-washington
Go find FSDSxTweak an duse it. it is a bit more difficult to use but worthwhile.

FSDS does not erase the cloud draw problem. This happens now and then.

Use MCX - ModelconverterX- newest version if possible.

Bring your mdl into MCx
go to material editor (not material ro object info)
click on the texture on the left side.
at the top click on little arrow (fly-out arrow) and then click on 'set default transparency')
click on apply.

Now- at the top click on export model.

give it the same name as you had it before modifying, if yo want.
safest is to save to desktop.

Now drag or copy\paste to where your mdls are.
add this back into your library an dsave.

draw order is now solved.

Art is right that ADE is a good program to use but don't dump Instant scenery just becaus it costs a bit. With IS2 you see the object you are placing.... not like ADE or RWY12. but ADE is darned good to have around... very much so.

I use all programs an can where I see necessary.

I hope this has helped in showing HOW to do this in MCX... not just tell you to go use MCX to fix this problem. Bob