• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS What couples animations in XML to specific contact points in cfg?

tml

Country
finland
Should the contact point number for a landing gear (or skid) with compression, that you want to animate, match the ID parameter to ASOBO_GEAR_Base_Template? (Which then turns into (A:GEAR ANIMATION POSITION:#ID#, percent) , I think, if I follow the code in fs-base-aircraft-common/ModelBehaviorDefs/Asobo/Exterior.xml and Generic/Animations.xml.

I.e. for a tricycle aircraft, if you for your center gear use the ASOBO_GEAR_Center_Template, which calls ASOBO_GEAR_Base_Template with the parameter ID of 0, should your center gear then be point.0 in your flight_model.cfg, etc? That is what the sample DA62 does, and also some of the bundled aircraft that I looked at (didn't check all) that don't have encrypted flight_model.cfg or model/foo.xml files.

And if, as in my case, you are modelling something VTOL-ish that has four legs, you need to call ASOBO_GEAR_Base_Template with IDs 0, 1, 2, and 3 if your corresponding contact points are 0, 1, 2, and 3?

Actually, does the sim animate skids compressing at all, or only wheels? If you want a VTOL aircraft to have compressible landing gear (that doesn't have wheels), do you need to pretend they are wheels anyway, but simulate the parking brake as always being on? Experimenting...

--tml

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Which then turns into (A:GEAR ANIMATION POSITION:#ID#, percent) , I think, if I follow the code in fs-base-aircraft-common/ModelBehaviorDefs/Asobo/Exterior.xml and Generic/Animations.xml.
LOL good job - this is what we've all been doing trying to unpick the XML template hierarchy.

Apologies ahead of time that this reply is probably the opposite of what you need, but with something like 50 animations on my aircraft (and only maybe 10 of those are switches), I took the decision to unpick templates and use base XML and everything since then has confirmed (for me) that was the right decision.

(The rationale is that a really complex Asobo template hierarchy converts top-level 'use template' code into frankly really basic XML animation code which has become far *more* complex because they've had to add all sorts of 'case' statements to cater for unique requirements at the top level. Some of my animations are non-trivial (i.e. using combinations of simvars, like flaperons) so they need custom code, and TBH using Asobo templates for the easy stuff isn't worth the obscuring effect of the templates and the likely impact back into the model. The safety net is I'm fairly confident the XML templates will remain an 'optional' ease-of-use layer for the lifetime of MSFS, and the updates to the templates will inevitably be exclusively due to Asobo introducing new aircraft and adding yet more 'case' statements to their base-level templates for those. Just an informed guess...).

Reactions: tml

tml

Country
finland
LOL good job - this is what we've all been doing trying to unpick the XML template hierarchy.
What about the coupling between the numbered point.n entires in flight_model.cfg and the numbered GEAR ANIMATION POSITION:id things, is it simply so that n = id? Or does something else come into play, too, like the order of the elements in the "animations" array in the glTF?