• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

What do big companies use blender or 3ds max?

Country
romania
Hello all, this is my first post and i hope it is not a stupid one. I am into taking a course in either blender or 3ds max not sure yet i am still looking through it.

I was wondering what big companies like flytampa, fsdreamteam, orbx and so on... use! blender or 3ds max? and why!

Thank you

Muhannad

Country
us-florida
I don't necicarally know an answer to your question, but I'm interested to find out.
I would imagine though that the larger payware companies use 3ds max, because it is a payware program. Blender being free, i don't know how many big companies would use it.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Payware vs freeware has nothing to do with it, or Audacity (freeware sound editor) would be unknown. "Big" companies might use much more modelling programs than just Max and Blender – they might pay their best modeller for mesh originally built in Rhino or any number of 3D modelling packages, then bring it into Max for compiling to FS. I suppose Max is popular in professional circles because support is not only available on YouTube, but from Autodesk themselves. Blender doesn't keep up with all the current developments in 3D methods, whereas Max is built by professionals to keep pace with them afaik. Max is also a player in much more than just FS modelling; like AutoCAD, it's something of an industry standard. That's not to downplay Blender, but Autodesk pay full-time developers to do that and freeware developers can't devote the time and resources a paid programmer can.

Although things may look very different with MSFS 2020 development in a couple of years, Max is going to be a preferred tool for "big" companies for now because Max is explicitly supported by the SDK. We freeware developers very much hope a freeware or low-cost modelling option will continue to be supported long-term.

Country
canada
A lot of companies also support Blender financially via Blender's Development Fund, so hopefully Blender will be a viable option long into the future. A stable platform would be a good selling point for companies to put their faith in using Blender.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
That's not to downplay Blender, but Autodesk pay full-time developers to do that and freeware developers can't devote the time and resources a paid programmer can.

Blender ist not just developed by a bunch of nerds in basements. In fact, there is an entire foundation behind it to fund core development by means of hired, paid professionals.

Blender's huge advantage is that anybody can contribute to its source code, patch and compile it at any time for any platform. Improvements to 3ds Max are limited to the yearly release cycle and the odd service pack and is completely constrianed to Windows, excluding a lot of the creative industry that is using MacOS- or even Linux-based systems.

This might not play a role in an exclusive MSFS' ecosystem, but any addon developer considering targeting multiple platforms like MSFS, P3D and X-Plane is better off with Blender as the source file conversion step with the associated loss of information (mesh smoothing, UV maps, animations) can be avoided.

Although things may look very different with MSFS 2020 development in a couple of years, Max is going to be a preferred tool for "big" companies for now because Max is explicitly supported by the SDK. We freeware developers very much hope a freeware or low-cost modelling option will continue to be supported long-term.

As long as FS20's file format specification is publically available, nothing can stop anybody from creating exporters for any modeling tool out there. This was the case for FSX and that's the reason why there is a Blender plugin for it.

Country
senegal
Blender is almost as good as 3Ds Max and better in some aspect. But I used 3Ds Max for over 10 years so I'm just more used to it.

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hello all, this is my first post and i hope it is not a stupid one. I am into taking a course in either blender or 3ds max not sure yet i am still looking through it.

I was wondering what big companies like flytampa, fsdreamteam, orbx and so on... use! blender or 3ds max? and why!
The thread is a little old but I want to give my opinion, In computer graphics companies there are many different sectors advertising, video games ... but I have never heard of Blender from professionals; have often heard 3DsMax, Maya, Cinema4D.
The reason must be after sales service and technical support

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
but I have never heard of Blender from professionals; have often heard 3DsMax, Maya, Cinema4D.
The reason must be after sales service and technical support
In that case you haven't been paying attention what went on with the release of Blender 2.8 last year. After Ubisoft become a partner to the Bledner Foundation, their animation studio started using Blender. Microsoft became a partner to develop open source VR solutions with it. The thing is that Blender is still perceived to be a hobbyist tool due to its long open-source history. But with the Blender Foundation that employs a team of developers, funded by a number of big companies, Blender became a professional tool. And imho not only an alternative, but a superior solution to 3dsmax.

Country
senegal
In that case you haven't been paying attention what went on with the release of Blender 2.8 last year. After Ubisoft become a partner to the Bledner Foundation, their animation studio started using Blender. Microsoft became a partner to develop open source VR solutions with it. The thing is that Blender is still perceived to be a hobbyist tool due to its long open-source history. But with the Blender Foundation that employs a team of developers, funded by a number of big companies, Blender became a professional tool. And imho not only an alternative, but a superior solution to 3dsmax.
I only started using it yesterday coming from 3ds Max and I'm already confident enough to make complex models. Maybe I need to learn more about spline modeling and UV unwrapping though. Those are a little different.

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
I wish the best for Blender 3d :)
I was not aware that large companies are interested in Blender
Blender has indeed "suffered" from open source status (which is interpreted as not serious for companies)

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The Blender Foundation or Blender itself has the backing of the movie industry and has developed effects similar to Pixar (graphics engine). Microsoft and NVidia (Microsoft less than 3 mths ago and NVidia within the last 6 mths now) are both major contributors. Also, Blender has been used in multiple movies (within the past 8 yrs, maybe more). So, in terms of professional use of... well, most likely number in the 200's total. Doesn't even count the number professional freelancers out there.