• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 What do you call this part on the Attitude Indicator?

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

In the animations list, what would this part be referred to for its animation? Its basically called a plane (symbol for the plane) on the horizon. Its adjustable up and down. What is its name in the XML parts list?

Many thanks for any help.

Part outlined in red... Dashes around the 'adjuster knob'.
w9igjef.JPG

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Modeldef.xml. I assume he's making it in 3D?

In the default 2D gauges it is moved by a custom variable (typically G:Var1). So I think it's up to you to move it, using a custom L: variable, for example.

Country
us-ohio
I asked cuz I didn't know there was a standard list for all the possible parts of the avionics. That would be one heck of a long list. Now knowing what list... and having done a search... perhaps it is this one: "needle_knob_attitude_wings" for the knob and this one: "needle_attitude_wings" for the actual wing indicator.

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Needle_attitude_wings is the correct name for the part that you can set in flight with which you can fine control the attitude.
The knob is knob_calibrate_attitude. I have always found that one useful in an argument.
Roy

Country
us-ohio
I do not think that knob_calibrate_attitude is the the same knob. On that attitude indicator there are two knobs. According to the Mid-Continent documentation for said attitude indicator... the small knob is called the "Symbolic Airplane Adjustment Knob" and the large knob is the "Caging knob". The caging knob would be used to erect the gyro vertically with respect to the case, in essence calibrating the attitude gyro. The other knob only moves the "wings" up or down so that you can define the pitch you desire to be holding in flight. It's like a speed bug on an analog airspeed indicator. Just my opinion.

Country
canada
The miniature wings in the AI are used to adjust for pilot height - tall pilots look down on the AI and the wings don't line up with the horizon on the ball - so you adjust them (I don't believe you set them in flight for pitch). Similar for short pilots - you get a parallax view. The Cage knob is used to reset the gyro and to fix the gyro in place for shipping (You pull it out and put a shipping block under the knob to hold it out). If you do unusual attitudes, "caging the AI" will reset the gyro to align vertically with the case. - So you do this on the ground or when you know you are in straight and level flight (using other instruments). If you do a quick 90 degree turn on the ground the gyro can be mis aligned by a degree or two.

Edit: C'Mon would I lie ...

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I can't find anything in the FSX modeldef file that includes "needle", "calibrate" or even "attitude", so I'm not sure how those are used?

Looking at the FSX Panel SDK, it has the following:

Parameters:
ATTITUDE BARS POSITION
ATTITUDE CAGE

Event IDs:
ATTITUDE_BARS_POSITION_UP
ATTITUDE_BARS_POSITION_DOWN
ATTITUDE_CAGE_BUTTON

I would assume these could be used, along with appropriate modeldef entries?

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
The way this is used in flight is as follows.
Let’s say you are in an approach situation flying level with 10 degrees angle of attack. Your nose is high by that amount, but you need some reference for when you wish to descend on a 3 degree glide slope. You would move the attitude bars so they overlay the horizon on the ADI. Keeping them in that position will cause level flight, lowering the nose until the bars are 3 degrees below the horizon will cause a 3 degree descent.
I used that technique in the F-4 which flew that nose high on the approach.
Roy

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I can't find anything in the FSX modeldef file that includes "needle", "calibrate" or even "attitude", so I'm not sure how those are used?
Tom, those would be the official SDK method. Yes custom entries would be needed in the modeldef.xml file.

However, needle_attitude_wings and knob_calibrate_attitude are already in the SDK's modeldef.xml file, although they use a custom L:var for animation and mouse control.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Checked again and they aren't in my SP2 SDK modeldef file. They must be in the Acceleration SDK, which I don't have.

Country
us-arizona
Checked again and they aren't in my SP2 SDK modeldef file. They must be in the Acceleration SDK, which I don't have.

Tom, I found them in the P3D SDK;

Code:
    <Animation name="needle_attitude_wings"                 guid="AFF3C502-D463-4f48-A4D8-CDD0A3DCAE91" type="Sim" typeParam="AutoPlay"  length="100" typeParam2="needle_attitude_wings" />

<Animation name="knob_calibrate_attitude"               guid="BAD340D0-C122-488f-A221-DF3CBF805900" type="Sim" typeParam="AutoPlay"  length="360" typeParam2="knob_calibrate_attitude"/>

<PartInfo>
    <Name>needle_attitude_wings</Name>
    <AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
    <Animation>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>(L:Attitude calibration, number) 3.6 /</Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Animation>
  </PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
    <Name>knob_calibrate_attitude</Name>
    <AnimLength>360</AnimLength>
    <Animation>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>(L:Attitude calibration, number)</Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Animation>
    <MouseRect>
      <Cursor>Hand</Cursor>
      <MouseFlags>LeftSingle+LeftDrag+Wheel</MouseFlags>
         <CallbackCode>
           (M:Event) 'LeftSingle' scmp 0 ==
           if{ (M:X) (>L:Calibration mouse position, number) }
           els{ (M:Event) 'LeftDrag' scmp 0 == if{ (L:Calibration mouse position, number) (M:X) - 180 + 0 max 360 min (&gt;L:Attitude calibration, number) } }
           (M:Event) 'WheelUp' scmp 0 ==
           if{ (L:Attitude calibration, number) 10 + (>L:Attitude calibration, number) }
           (M:Event) 'WheelDown' scmp 0 ==
           if{ (L:Attitude calibration, number) 10 - (>L:Attitude calibration, number) }
         </CallbackCode>
      <TooltipID>TOOLTIPTEXT_B737_BACKUP_ATTITUDE_CAL_KNOB</TooltipID>
    </MouseRect>
  </PartInfo>

Tom, those would be the official SDK method. Yes custom entries would be needed in the modeldef.xml file.

However, needle_attitude_wings and knob_calibrate_attitude are already in the SDK's modeldef.xml file, although they use a custom L:var for animation and mouse control.

Thanks Bill.