What does Resample.exe do?

Pretty much all programs say they cannot be run in DOS mode (I seem to load a lot of programs into text editors).

I've always suspected that the reason resample takes so long to process photoreal scenery is the compression algorithms. If you set the compression value to anything other than 100 then the imagery is data compressed (to take up less HD space).

I'm not sure that anyone has publicly deciphered the algorithms that FSX uses for data compression of photoreal scenery. Perhaps a version of JPEG?

All I know is that it would be very difficult to write a replacement.
I'm not planning to do the whole thing right away anyways. Just enough for photoscenery. I'll probably see if I can get that far with just the CPU before going for GPU. And it's not going to happen quickly or overnight, too busy with other things. It'll be a back burner back of my mind project.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
The bgl format for photo scenery is not documented, so I think it will be hard (almost impossible) to write a resample replacement.

What resample does is take the source data, divide it in terrain tiles, create the levels of detail and compress the result.

No rocket size, but you need to know the bgl format to be able to optimise the rest of the chain.

The bgl format for photo scenery is not documented, so I think it will be hard (almost impossible) to write a resample replacement.

What resample does is take the source data, divide it in terrain tiles, create the levels of detail and compress the result.

No rocket size, but you need to know the bgl format to be able to optimise the rest of the chain.
You are stating one of the things I was afraid of. I did see this thread where someone takes apart a bgl into the raw components. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/bgldec-a-resample-bgl-decompressor.433789/#post-709245 There may be something I can get from that. He has not responded to my PM in the last 3 days.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
As stated above I don't the image compression is known. But as you read the container format is known.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I never used TileProxy, but from reading about it now it doesn't seem to use resample. It uses the old Fs2004 approach to photo scenery where the textures are not part of the bgl file. So you add a BGL file that is pre made and then the tool generates the textures on the fly. In that case resample is not needed.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Nope, dxt compressed textures have a fixed compression ratio. For the photo scenery bgl you can set the ratio you want.

btw, thanks arno.

actually, I have an idea about this. tileproxy would download textures based on altitude. And now that you tell me how the bgls worked in there, It gives me an idea. Many people want different textures when they are at altitude than when they are on approach or down low. That may be the method to do just that. Swap in and out textures based on altitude.

Tileproxy doesn't download textures based on altitude, they are not avaiable. The textures are mipped bmps based on the "Basic Scenery Grid".

Of course, Resample doesn't use this grid.

I think you will need a few hours to study the FSX SDK.

unfortunately, I have time, but I'm going to use it doing nothing but trying to recover from this flu I've gotten almost overnight. Sore throat and achy everywhere, :(

About the above link, I keep getting a missing c runtime debug dll missing error. I can't seem to fix it just by getting the dll and putting it into system32.