• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

What in the world am I doing wrong!

Country
us-ohio
I had created a terminal building as usual. However, now I get LOD errors. My workflow (using Blender) has not changed since prior to SU5. But, I heard through the grapevine that it is now mandatory to have LOD's. So, I restructured my model to include a collection X00 and X01. I have edited X01 and removed "stuff" that wouldn't need in the low res model. Selected all and exported using the Blender2MSFS plugin as usual. I continue to get this....
builderrors.png

I have gone into the model .XML and edited the minsize and changed it to 25 (I also left it at default on one pass.....but same result).
FYI, I have SU5 installed AND SDK 14 installed.

I am still working through the docs to see if I have missed anything, but thought I would post this just in case someone has any idea!
Thank you for your assistance in advance.

Country
unitedstates
Most important line in you console list is the failure to load the model (LOD01). . . notice there is no complaint about the LOD 00

I have run into this before, but it was some time ago and I am not absolutely certain of the cause. Vaguely, it might be the known problem with the multi-lod export in the Blender mod.

First thing I suggest is to export the LOD 01 again, by itself. Last post on the following page
https://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/lod-instructions.451738/page-2#post-887038

Country
us-ohio
Most important line in you console list is the failure to load the model (LOD01). . . notice there is no complaint about the LOD 00

I have run into this before, but it was some time ago and I am not absolutely certain of the cause. Vaguely, it might be the known problem with the multi-lod export in the Blender mod.

First thing I suggest is to export the LOD 01 again, by itself. Last post on the following page
https://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/lod-instructions.451738/page-2#post-887038
I will go through that work around that you shared and see if it works.....thank you and I will get back to you!

Country
us-ohio

Yeah, no joy! I am going to try a new simple scenery project....it's like it cannot find anything to work with.....arghh!
builderrors2.png

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
This is my LodTest.xml:

XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ModelInfo guid="{d6281fca-84f9-477d-9c40-ffed14625fe2}" version="1.1">
  <LODS>
    <LOD minSize="100" ModelFile="icosasphere.gltf"/>
    <LOD minSize="50" ModelFile="cube.gltf"/>
    <LOD minSize="5" ModelFile="monkey.gltf"/>
  </LODS>
</ModelInfo>

It displays one of 3 different models at the appropriate viewport percentage. You don't need Blender for this... just make your own XML with a text editor, and show whatever glTF you like.

Country
france
Hi, when you finish your "export lod batch" do this:

- select your lod01 in blender
- export it like you would be for a non lod object, exept keep the name _LOD01 same for the xml
and it should be ok

If needed, send me you .blend file and your xml file for manual check, I will export it and you will try then if its better

Country
us-ohio
On a large building like a regional airport terminal, what should the minSize be, there abouts? I'm just data collecting at the moment to think things through....
My builds are still failing as above....
I am not a novice at this but I must be making the smallest mistake somewhere that is causing this.....I am using the same process as always, but now exporting with LOD's....that's the only difference other than SU5 and SDK 14 update.

Country
unitedstates
Regrets for no quick fix. Found a discussion thread in which it was reported the person changed shading nodes by hand (a no-no for the exporter). (Specifically, he we using texture scaling instead of scaling UV nodes, probably to have repeating textures.)

Performance considerations are a bit more developed than FSX/P3D. Several different factors to be taken into account. This includes breaking large elements (such as terminals) into separate models.
https://docs.flightsimulator.com/ht...on/3D_Models/Landscape/Landscape_Elements.htm

The minsize is going to be related to the actual level of model detail in a given LOD. Example given here:
https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/index.htm?#t=Asset_Creation/3D_Models/LoDs.htm

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
This is my LodTest.xml:

XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ModelInfo guid="{d6281fca-84f9-477d-9c40-ffed14625fe2}" version="1.1">
  <LODS>
    <LOD minSize="100" ModelFile="icosasphere.gltf"/>
    <LOD minSize="50" ModelFile="cube.gltf"/>
    <LOD minSize="5" ModelFile="monkey.gltf"/>
  </LODS>
</ModelInfo>

It displays one of 3 different models at the appropriate viewport percentage. You don't need Blender for this... just make your own XML with a text editor, and show whatever glTF you like.
Where LOD=100 is the 3-D model with all the details that is displayed when I am very close to the model?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
100 means it should touch the vertical edges of the viewport.(window). It's a percentage. But it is not a hard rule as it usually changes before it reaches that percentage. It's a computed value. I think it's the vertical size in pixels of the object compared to the vertical size in pixels of the window.

Attachments

• LodTest.zip
    34.4 KB · Views: 70
Country
us-ohio
Regrets for no quick fix. Found a discussion thread in which it was reported the person changed shading nodes by hand (a no-no for the exporter). (Specifically, he we using texture scaling instead of scaling UV nodes, probably to have repeating textures.)

Performance considerations are a bit more developed than FSX/P3D. Several different factors to be taken into account. This includes breaking large elements (such as terminals) into separate models.
https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/index.htm#t=Asset_Creation/3D_Models/Landscape/Landscape_Elements.htm

The minsize is going to be related to the actual level of model detail in a given LOD. Example given here:
https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/index.htm?#t=Asset_Creation/3D_Models/LoDs.htm
Thank you....I'm sure I will get it back....someday...LOL... I do only scale the UV nodes....but you do have an idea for me to try. I will disable my PBR's and use basic colors from Blender and re-export and see if maybe some texture is messing it up, however I created a simple Icosphere with basic colors and it too failed. Oh, I am using Blender 2.90, wasn't sure 2.93 was compatible with Blender2MSFS....is it? Hopefully this week will net some positive results since last week had so many changes that overwhelmed my senses.

Country
us-ohio
IT'S Breathing! Used Simple Scenery (no modifications to it) first to test a build. Worked! Then created my "kcakbldg" using simple scenery as template (as usual). Created a simple block bldg with no textures and exported using Blender (no LOD)....built with success (only one error....package naming convention, but I can deal with that and fix it). Then went into my orginal kcakterminal.blend and selected part of the building (part which only uses two PBR textures) and exported......Success! So, I will iterate through my terminal building section by section and test. Thank you everyone for your input. So, it looks like LOD's are not required, but always a good idea to implement them....but I never had to in the past.

Country
germany
To me the auto LOD workflow of blender never worked for me. So I exported each LOD (0-2) separately and manually created the XML described by Dick. So got it running by this manual workaround as well. Regards Guido

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
There was a change due to Xbox that will have single LOD objects disappear sooner. We've got an update or 2 until this takes effect. But you can use the same object (glTF) for each LOD if you want. The important thing is the XML file that describes the LODs.

Country
us-ohio
Think I might be back in "business".....Really think my model was corrupt....so....I exported my Blender model out to an .OBJ, then created a new .blend and imported the .obj into that new project. Then exported that out to the good ole .gltf using the Blender2MSFS....built the scene with zero errors.....then in Blender, I reassigned my PBR textures one at a time, building with each subsequent edit in Blender....So far so good. Once I get this terminal building added in, I will go back and play with the LOD's and see how that goes. You all have been great and very supportive....Thank you!
NewcakT.png