• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

What is wrong with my slice plane tool? Gmax

Country
puertorico
Hello, I am having a hard time with this tool. It is creating an extra vertex between every edge. It is creating hell with my models.

Attachments

• extravertex.jpg
    extravertex.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 474

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Well, that's precisely what a Slice Plane is designed to do, Hector! It will "slice" every edge that it crosses.

If you want to slice-and-dice only specific edges, then use the Vertex sub-level, Insert vertices where desired, then Create a new Edge in Edge sub-level.

P.S., your tagline is quite offensive and sexist. :eek:

Country
us-arizona
This is why I dont use Slice Tool anymore. I can create a background Spline line, and use that as a guide, and simply cut the model myself. I convert the object to Editable Poly, select Edge mode, select Divide Edge, and click on the edges along the Spline guide. When I am done, I select Create Edge and connect the dots and then I have Poly Edges as well on the cut line.

Much cleaner, and I think its actually faster as you dont have tons of left over Vertices to clear up. I can have TONS of left over Vertices when I use Slice Tool on a very organic, rounded shape.

EDIT: Plus, with this technique, if you are careful, you can do this to a mapped object and cut it without having to remap it, no left over Vertices... (if you do it manually).

Bill

Country
puertorico
Well, that's precisely what a Slice Plane is designed to do, Hector! It will "slice" every edge that it crosses.

If you want to slice-and-dice only specific edges, then use the Vertex sub-level, Insert vertices where desired, then Create a new Edge in Edge sub-level.

P.S., your tagline is quite offensive and sexist. :eek:

About the tagline, I apologize that you got it that way. It is one of the funniest lines from the movie "Airplane" one of my favorite movies. Not because it is sexist in nature but because of the way it is said. To be honest I never found that line anything but funny. I will remove it ASAP. :eek:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
About the tagline, I apologize that you got it that way. It is one of the funniest lines from the movie "Airplane" one of my favorite movies. Not because it is sexist in nature but because of the way it is said. To be honest I never found that line anything but funny. I will remove it ASAP. :eek:

I don't recall that from the movie, but I'm thinking it must have been something from the "jive talk scene?" In any case, thanks for removing it.

Being a multi-cultural forum, it just seemed a bit out of place to be making an oblique reference to abusing women... :eek:

jetwelder

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom

good on you......fs dev is an international all are welcome site....if you want to develope for fs ....unskilled amateur like me...or proffesional genius,like some...

all nations,all ages...including probably some from other planets....humour is really difficult...some dont get it....some misinterpret it....being english, i didnt understand it.....but it was a funny movie....its like being on the starship enterprise...communication can require a delicate touch......hope my next humourus attempt doesnt start an inter galactic war......jim

Country
us-california
Here is why you got those "odd" vertices...

Your part was an "editable mesh". An editable mesh part will display the edges of each polygon, but it normally does not display the edge that coughed up the extra vertice in each poly that you sliced...which is the edge that splits the polygon into "faces".

If you take your part and convert it to "editable poly" and slice it I'm betting you won't get those extra vertices. ;)